Author Topic: J progress  (Read 12364 times)

mainline

Re: J progress
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »
Tony, why does that bike have no footpegs on it??

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 08:39:59 pm »
Nice shiney sidecover and stickers the other side will have to wait till the skin grows back on my fingers from all the sanding! :D

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 06:52:00 pm »
More progress just need some wheels. Is wheel building worth doing DIY or is it best left to the pros? :-\

mainline

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 08:20:59 pm »
I found wheel building fairly easy, given patience and time. It's certainly cheaper to do it yourself. I picked up secondhand rims for about $40 each and chrome plated DID spokes/nipples (front and back) for about $80 delivered. Beats $400-ish a wheel.

I suppose it depends on whether you've got the time, and if you're after a concourse finish or not. Whether the spokes on your bike are as cheap or easy to find may be another factor?

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 08:43:28 pm »
Spokes are easy to find and cheap for this model but finding good correctly drilled rims is my main concern especially if I buy off the net and if I use differnt rims to the stock ones (DID) will the std spokes fit?

mainline

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 08:56:13 am »
that's probably where I have to hand over to someone else? My rims are common as muck, so I didn't really have any problems there.  Your bike has those Z spokes doesn't it? not sure how that works, sorry

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 09:07:18 am »
I bought Excel rims from Vintage Iron for $440 US delivered.  Laced up and trued very easily (and I haven't done this before).  I used NOS spokes.  No problems.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 12:25:05 pm »
No my bike has normal spokes Z spokes came out on the L models. $440 for Excels sounds good but I dont like their gold anodising I was thinking of using S M Pros any good?

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 01:01:42 pm »
Yeah, heaps of blokes use them too.  A bit cheaper than Excel too I think.  Ted ang YZHilly are 2 blokes I know of that use SMPro.  I agree about the excel gold.  A bit too much.

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 05:21:21 pm »
ive used sm pro and excels i couldnt tell the diff other then the sm pro gold is nicer then the excels
MUGEN power

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 07:15:45 pm »
SM Pros it is then anyone know a good supplyer (drilled to suit drums) on the Goldcoast or brisbane? Jhon Titmans is the only onr I know of .

mainline

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 10:20:24 pm »
you could send 090 a message, he was telling me about someone else he's used for wheels/rims that were pretty good.

He doesn't slum it on the Yamaha board, so he wouldn't have seen this ;D

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 09:08:15 pm »
Hi

I just read you other post congrats on choosing an 82 yz to restore Ive had great fun with mine and apart from the steering head there pretty solid bikes but even the steering head can be fixed (not with crappy bypass hoses)! ;D ;D
I painted my frame in 2pack gloss black and the swingarm was factory painted in yamaha competition silver but thats unavailable I used autothane wheel silver but I don't think it's bright enough YZ250H suggested a coulour called GM silver you might have to ask him where he gets it from. Have fun if you have any questions just ask ;D

mainline

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 09:35:11 pm »
don't ask YZ250h anything about silver paint, he'll just recommend chroming everything ;D

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 09:48:19 pm »
Geez, one chrome pipe and suddenly you're "Mr Chrome" ;D ;D
I used 2 pack - the brand name I can't remember.  I could find out if it helps.  Bought it from a paint wholesaler in Cairns.  Chosen from about 200 colour swatches on about 10 books.  I took the old swingarm along for comparison.  The best I could do was GM Silver.

WMC - I have 2 125H's and a 125J on the waiting list, so I'd be very interested to know how you solved the steering head issue.

FWIW I used gloss black rattle cans for the frame - that was when I started off on a budget - sadly that went out the window - not exactly sure at what stage.  Others prefer powder coating. I went for satin engine cases and hubs, gloss barrel, claer coat head (yet to see how it handles the heat)