Author Topic: Whats the best budget priced shocks?  (Read 12520 times)

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
Whats the best budget priced shocks?
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:37:32 am »
My 1972 Husky shocks are not worth repairing.Was wondering what type of shocks are available,and at a reasonable cost.The bike will be raced,but not regularly,and certainly not at the pace most of you guns ride at.

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the best budget priced shocks?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:11:33 pm »
Hi Mark try IKON in Albury. Realistic price,work well. look good, well made speedy delivery. Their also rebuildable. Have a look on their website. Jerry

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 02:27:31 pm »
Husky2, have a look at GAZI on the web, we use them on the sidecar and have no problems. The new ones are coming with spherical bearings, they have 16mm shafts and are rebuildable. About 1/2 the price of the norm.
Check out the jump we did at CD6 to confirm if they work or not!

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 04:06:00 pm »
Gazi suspension  :)
                             http://gazisuspension.com/products.html

mx250

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 04:29:01 pm »
Gazi appears to have a very limited range. The only one suitable for a 72 husky would be the VMX Sport at $525 - if you consider that 'budget'  ::). Well spec'ed shox though :).

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 04:31:03 pm »
Another option is i have been offered some revalved Works shocks from the factory after we bought a few sets recently.  Usually they are uncollected orders, if they are the normal body he has been offering to reweight the springs and the valves for us at no charge, ends up about $350-$400 and they are essentially new shocks to your specs, cheaper if you just want them how they were ordered and hope you wing it with the right settings.  Either way they are rebuildable so you can tune em up yourself if you needed to.    Works are proven shocks.  Gazi i dont know that much about, but they look far and above the Pick in the Aussie market, but thats from what i have heard.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »
Walter .....what's with your thread  ???  No -one on THIS THREAD  has said anything bad about about YOUR shocks -  except for you . Are they really that bad

What ever you do, don’t buy a custom made YSS shock, they are way overpriced at $599.00   , their range is very limited, apparently they are just scooter shocks according to the experts and professors. Nobody is using them in Australia ( except beginners like Ballards or Robbie Phyllis , or myself  )  Gazi used to work for YSS  at one stage , so Don’t know if that is good or bad ?  In one of the threads Freak head posted how bad the after sales service of YSS is, and he must know. After all, he wanted some free shocks ones and did not get any. If there are more bad stories circulating, now is the time to post them, but don’t forget, make sure they are not just hearsay.
Don’t forget to sign your post with your full name for future references..

madpugs

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 05:33:16 pm »
hi guys, ive got an rm400n that came fitted with ohlins shocks which need rebuilding.  i was thinking of maybe trying some ikons also (depending on price) instead of rebuilding the ohlins, one thing i noticed was that the ohlins are 30mm longer than the stock pair i have. i spoke to to the guys at ikon and they can set up shocks with the correct spring rate to suit me, as i have no idea what is on the ohlins either(unless someone can tell me how to find out???) price of rebuild of ohlins is around $300 postage included, whereas a new set of ikons shouldnt be anymore than $500. interested in your thoughts.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 05:34:38 pm »
Sorry Walter freak head has Nothing to add really.

I particulary like the words you referance like Custom, Scooter, Overpriced and After Sale Service.  

One you forgot to include was Warranty.

Shocker Thread to mysterioulsy disappear in   4.....3....2......1 

And just to summerise your words below; you signed your post, here's your full name  and details for future references.

"What ever you do, don’t buy a custom made YSS shock"
" they are way overpriced at $599.00"
"their range is very limited"
"apparently they are just scooter shocks." 
 "bad the after sales service of YSS is"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:40:51 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 05:35:23 pm »
G'day viewers If your after shocks why not ask the troops when your on the battle field on race day see what everyone's got to say. I have YSS on my DT1 and I don't have much time on it but as far as service goes they are really good and YSS addvertise on OZVMX  :) jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 05:39:36 pm »
Madpugs, go with the Ohlins, rebuilding them will be worth it in the long run and be a lot better than the Ikons, especially on a RM400.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:49:13 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

madpugs

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 05:44:15 pm »
thanks for that, appreciate the response

mx250

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 06:09:20 pm »
Madplugs, go with the Ohlins, rebuilding them will be worth it in the long run and be a lot better than the Ikons, especially on a RM400.
Husky72 asked for shox for a '72 Husky. The shox requirements for a '72 Husky and a LTR RM400 are like chalk and cheese.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 06:13:16 pm »
Husky72 asked for shox for a '72 Husky. The shox requirements for a '72 Husky and a LTR RM400 are like chalk and cheese.

Yes i know, I was replying to Madpugs, not Husk72. But yes the Ikons wouldnt be too bad for the 72 husky.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:49:37 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 06:31:15 pm »
I'm sorry, did I open a wound??