Author Topic: Whats the best budget priced shocks?  (Read 12519 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the best budget priced shocks?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 06:53:48 pm »
outa interest what length should rm 400 shock be eye to eye
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:15:54 pm by paul »

TM BILL

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 10:02:48 pm »
396mm  :)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 10:19:44 pm »
Madpugs, go with the Ohlins, rebuilding them will be worth it in the long run and be a lot better than the Ikons, especially on a RM400.

I agree with Leith here. Either get them shortened and rebuilt or swapthem with someone who has the correct length.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 10:22:04 pm »

mm? that must be for a "C" Bill  just under 16"  "N" &"T " are a bit over 16" aren't they???

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 11:00:17 pm »

mm? that must be for a "C" Bill  just under 16"  "N" &"T " are a bit over 16" aren't they???

Actually I think you are right Bill , my app chart says that C N T are the same for 250 &400 15.75 but the 125s N T  are 16.25 ??

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 11:53:30 pm »
I have YSS shocks and fork valves on 2 of my bikes and have had no problems and they have transformed the bikes, and I would have to say you buy best suspension you can afford at the time. When the suspension works right it inspires confidence, you only have to be off work for a couple of weeks that $ 500 bucks you might of saved won't seem like much.

oldfart

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 06:53:36 am »
confirm  396mm  1979-1980 rm 250-400

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 11:47:46 am »
Walter .....what's with your thread  ???  No -one on THIS THREAD  has said anything bad about about YOUR shocks -  except for you . Are they really that bad

What ever you do, don’t buy a custom made YSS shock, they are way overpriced at $599.00   , their range is very limited, apparently they are just scooter shocks according to the experts and professors. Nobody is using them in Australia ( except beginners like Ballards or Robbie Phyllis , or myself  )  Gazi used to work for YSS  at one stage , so Don’t know if that is good or bad ?  In one of the threads Freak head posted how bad the after sales service of YSS is, and he must know. After all, he wanted some free shocks ones and did not get any. If there are more bad stories circulating, now is the time to post them, but don’t forget, make sure they are not just hearsay.
Don’t forget to sign your post with your full name for future references..

I'm sorry, did I open a wound??

Must have EML.   :)

MYstery Shock Post removal happens on queue, ( well at 10pm) so my 3...2...1. was a little out,

Anyway back to the thread.   Fix those ohlins as if there the GOld Can one's there probally worth $1k at least and real top shelf.   Re: the other budgets shock question, there are infinate options for you to consider, all of the above have there merits, but its YOUR choice and its your Purse strings.   THing about what you want them to achieve on the bike and let that be your guide, if you know what yopu want as an outcome, even a cheap second hand set, just to keep the frame off the ground is perfectly Sound.  YOu do what you like its your money and dont be thinking you have to spend up, just for a pair of shocks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:52:20 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

oldfart

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 07:04:54 pm »
Walter, what I can't understand is that you post away as one does, then you delete them .
It seems to happen on a regular basis .

DR

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 07:29:56 pm »
never deleted a post in my life and for my 2 cents worth you simply can't go past the bestest shocks ever made..TS185 shocks!!..25 bucks a pair at most wreckers ;D sorry..back to my corner now :P :-X

TM BILL

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 07:32:37 pm »
Walter, what I can't understand is that you post away as one does, then you delete them .
It seems to happen on a regular basis .

Carefull Stu you could be stiring up a Hornets nest  ;)  :-X

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 07:33:03 pm »
never deleted a post in my life and for my 2 cents worth you simply can't go past the bestest shocks ever made..TS185 shocks!!..25 bucks a pair at most wreckers ;D sorry..back to my corner now :P :-X

ah, at last a nice price :P   the poor thread starter will probably never return.  :(
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 10:43:14 am »
OK i got this email from the Guy at the works Factory who has been doing us some trick deals on shocks lately.

"I can build you a Vintage MX build which would be 14.0 long, with 3.75 inch travel at the shaft. This would keep you within the 4 inch wheel travel limit for pre 75 or whatever travel or E2E you want really.

If I can make it with the welded steel bodies, I can offer a better discount again of 30% on your price, since we discontinued welding them and started screwing eye/body assemblies together like the ones you already have. We still have a few on hand for the length required for your shocks.

One thing I would change on the current build is to put floating pistons internally so that you could run them upside down, and use a slightly shorter spring stack to clear the chains.

If you want a single progressive rate spring I can build that shock for 455.00, discount it to 320.00

If you want a dual rate spring set I can build that for 500.00 and discount it to 380.00

another option to consider, since you are racing them, would be adding the threaded spring pre-load option. This would allow you to set rider sag, or add spring tension to prevent bottoming. This is a 50.00 option.

Though this might give you a feel for what you can get good shocks for these days, still way under the $600 mark.

Its all just information.............. do with it what you like.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 02:01:20 pm »
And from this info comes decissions and from those decissions comes sales and so the free market works.
This is a very good forum.
Perhaps they should try it in Canberra!

gator

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 02:56:25 pm »
Try Northwest Maico RM400 Ohlins piggybacks $730 us + shipping NEW :-* :-*