Author Topic: Heads will roll..(probably mine) Where does it end?  (Read 8466 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Heads will roll..(probably mine) Where does it end?
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:21:50 pm »
 What is the meaning of VMX ?

Is it racing an old motocross bike to get across the line first and to do that you have to have all the lattest trickery and all the hottest parts of yesteryear?
Is it pushing the rules to the limit, even to the point of being outside the limit, as long as no one catches you out, or in your eyes, what you have done to 'improve' your bikes, is all fair and within the rules, as you see it ?
Is VMX becoming a sport where the need to win starts controlling the parts we have on our bikes? Where the human factor of egos and competition taken over from what is a sport about bikes, to a sport about the people and what they can do to a bike?

The more rules there are to any sport the harder it becomes, yet we seem hell bent on pushing the boundaries to the point where the eras of the bikes are getting blurred. Is it that important to have your bikes as far from non standard as possible as to where you need documentation to prove your bike should be in a particular era? Is winning a plastic trophy about you or the bike?

Have we forgotten the true meaning of  VMX ?

I believe the true meaning of 'racing' VMX should be with a trophy at the end, but not with the riders name on it but the bike that was ridden.
 Furthermore, with that said, all bikes racing for 'national titles' should be a true show case of the bikes as originally made buy the manufacturer and bought from the show room floor by 'us' the punter.  (of course, allowing for new tyres, handgrips, levers and period handlebars,).

There are lots of meetings allowing for up-speced bikes to have their days in the sun where the rules maybe more relaxed, but never should VMX become a sport where people push their own agenda's for the sake of a plastic trophy.

Long live  "In the spirit of the era"

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Heads will roll..(probably mine) Where does it end?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:32:33 pm »
i just like to ride my bikes who cares who wins i am grininng from start to finish.last second last ect i still win rode my bike and went to work on monday.what more could you want.

oz555ktm

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:41:37 pm »

This is What we All Should Be Pushing For .

You do Not have to win to have Fun...

But a Lot of fun come from racing your Mate on a Bike that was the Same as it was in that year it was Made..

Now How Do we Change the World of VMX be for its all F##ked up By Bling and Cheating ...

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 07:43:11 pm »
If your obsessive desire to win means you are blatantly riding a cheater or have cunningly snuck one through on the others, then you've already missed the point of vmx...   ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:16:09 pm »
Unfortunately things seem to be splitting in 2(figuratively) on one side the desire to recreate something like the Goodwood Festival of Speed, where EVERYTHING (down to reprints of 60's newspapers for fish and chip wrappers kid you not)  is of the period or making an old bike as fast as it could ever be, by whatever means possible within the rules.
Why worry at all? If your still wearing your Rossi's and a footy jumper or have outbid everyone else for period bling you lusted after and could never afford or you take an old set of cases,cylinder,a head, some forks and some shocks and jam tomorrow's technology in there. Frankly there a far worse things in the world to worry about, your alive, hopefully have your health and you have enough means to indulge your passion.
RELAX cuppa tea,Bex and a good lie down. ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:35:06 pm »
I started classic car racing 15 years ago & it was great fun, then the big dollars started coming into it & we all start to spend big bucks on our cars, I got sucked into the whole thing as well & at end when I sold my car I could no longer drive it to the track & it cost $1000 a meeting to run, with lots of paperwork to prove your car was period correct.

VMX to me is like classic car racing 20 years ago simple rules, fun, great people & very affordable for all.

Lets all keep it that way ;D
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 08:47:21 pm »
Trophies theres trophies  :o I love to race and dont pretend to be any good at it but theres somthing about racing  :)
However for me the whole VMX deal is captured at the CD events . Great people ,amazing machinery, and an atmosphere money cant buy  :)
As far as racing goes it is impossible to recreate a period in time , and different people have different views on what should be allowed and whats not.

This seems to be the same the world over with no perfect formula. Is been said many times by people smarter than me ( no thats not a mistake , apparantly there are people smarter than me  :o)

"Build your bike to suit the rules dont try to change the rules to suit your bike ":)

The worst day at VMX is better than the best day at work or at a family picnic  ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:50:17 pm by TM BILL »

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 09:00:23 pm »
Frankly there a far worse things in the world to worry about, your alive, hopefully have your health and you have enough means to indulge your passion.
FRAME THAT.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 09:03:05 pm »
Ok DJ what sparked it ?  fess up
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 09:14:34 pm »
I dont know about that Bill, Vallie hasn't taken me on a picnic yet? ;D ;D. But your right, build the bike to suit the rules... KISS.... Keep it simple stupid! :o, and we all lived happily ever after...... ha ha... yea right.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

lms6201

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 07:14:01 am »
 keep within the rule structure , improve the machine to that end  if u will , improve yourself as well , what,s life without competition ?? we were designed to compete, wether it,s for first place or second last  , it,s in the dna , and to think that old mx racers  won,t get into it would be hopeful at best  , i,ve got a limited budget at the moment but i will always line up with a bloke who has spent $1800 on shocks , it,s a fact of life , if your happy having a sunday ride around the paddock , then do so ( that,s me by the ) but if u want to do a little more  , and it,s within the rules  go fo it   

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 09:49:02 am »

It appears to be about fracturing a niche past-time into as many possible factions as possible...
 ::)

Seriously, the "old dirt bike" thing is about a lot of stuff - restorers, historians, engineers, racers, trail-riders, dreamers, wannabe time travellers, etc, etc.
With the power of hindsight, its kind of unfortunate that racing was the seed and the focal point for the old bike thing - because the racing has dominated the other branches, and because the other branches have possibly 'watered down' the racing.

If we look just at the Racer crowd, there's a multitude of interests and motivations:
Re-living your personal glory days;
Re-living an era that you weren't invovled in;
Cheap racing;
Low pressure racing;
Racing a bike that you've 'built', restored or improved yourself;
Etc.

People naturally have a competitive streak - sometimes its big and nasty, sometimes its barely visible - but it is there in all of us. And that competitive streak means that (some) people will push the rules regardless of whether the reward at the end is a million dollar prize, a plastic trophy, or simply a pat on the back from a mate.
Similarly, lots of people love to tinker. They can see a better way, and they want to use it on their bike.

So people will always push the boundaries of what other people consider to be acceptable. There are two main ways to keep things from getting out of hand. The first is peer pressure, and the second is a set of rules that are clearly understood and supported.

Despite the talk on the forums, and despite the fact that I regularly see stuff that makes me cringe, I think we're doing pretty well. The biggest drama isn't people pushing the boundaries and getting away with it, its EVERYBODY's stubbon, blinkered insistance that their personal point of view is the only correct one.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 10:48:53 am »
VMX is what you make it serious or laid back.If you want to win at all costs fine,if you know its not the world champs and you need to go to work monday fine. Just a bit like the bikes we ride,they may not be fastest in class but we buy them because thats what we used to ride,so we are all winners.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 11:40:11 am »
Support of a new face/rider at a club level, believing he or she is a potential for long term member and friendship.

Have we forgotten the true meaning of  VMX ?
By steering him/her on the right path of preserving that Spirit of an Era.
Weather his/her achievements are trophy or not.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 12:14:06 pm »
I only ride for the fun of it, as has been stated before on a bike that's been restored.  Will never win a race, except to the bar

99% of VMX personnel ride their bikes for the fun.  It's always the minority group in all things that give it a bad name.

No trophies, no points, no prizes, no championships, but damn there's alway a big smile
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250