Author Topic: NOW I HAVE A YZ125X as well  (Read 29358 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: NOW I HAVE A YZ125X as well
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2010, 09:07:20 pm »
I've got a C to do one day.....a few in front of it unfortunately but it gives me time to collect all the bits I need. If you need the tanks repaired properly I can do them...I cut them open on the seam, panelbeat/file finish and then weld them back up, it's the only way....I've seen some dodgy work underneath good paint jobs that where done by so called "experts". Nice bike by the way.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2010, 09:55:53 am »
with your sprocket choice, will you be running a 428 or 520 chain set~up?
and have you decided on number of teeth fr & rear?
the rear sprocket on your "X" looks to be of the flat variety while the one on your Dads is dished.
is it the same rear hub?
so many questions...
"flat bickie"

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:51 am »
my sprockets are flat and 520 chain
put a 51 on rear but it is a little too big had to take off the chain guide for it to fit
ran 13 45 at the dirt track nats in griffith it was perfect for that track will go 14 45 for nepean
jim

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2010, 05:26:42 pm »
I've got a C to do one day.....a few in front of it unfortunately but it gives me time to collect all the bits I need. If you need the tanks repaired properly I can do them...I cut them open on the seam, panelbeat/file finish and then weld them back up, it's the only way....I've seen some dodgy work underneath good paint jobs that where done by so called "experts". Nice bike by the way.
thanks for that, i will probably need a tank done in the future. For now i have a different one ill be using on the bike that doesnt need any repairs.

with your sprocket choice, will you be running a 428 or 520 chain set~up?
and have you decided on number of teeth fr & rear?
the rear sprocket on your "X" looks to be of the flat variety while the one on your Dads is dished.
is it the same rear hub?
so many questions...
I have put minimal thought into the sprocket and chain options so far, i think the rear on it is a 52 and i will just put on whatever front we have laying around untill its finished and we can change it later!

The rear X sprocket is flat, and the C is dished. I think the A B C are dished and X D etc went to flat?
Can get a picture of either of them if you like, or pictures of anything else..

Ask away with more questions mate, these bike were built 8 years before i was born so if i dont know the answer, dad or someoneon here will!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2010, 11:48:13 pm »
I think the A B C are dished and X D etc went to flat?

Yep.

And to be a real train-spotter:
The A & B have 8mm bolt/stud threads, while the C went to 10mm. The A/B hub had two external ribs, while the C has four (possibly the other way 'round, but I'm pretty sure that's right).
The D+ hub is different to the X hub - the later ones push the sprocket even further away from the spokes and won't fit in a A ~ X swing arm unless you machine them back down to the X-spec.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mainline

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2010, 07:28:42 am »
I think the A B C are dished and X D etc went to flat?

The D+ hub is different to the X hub - the later ones push the sprocket even further away from the spokes and won't fit in a A ~ X swing arm unless you machine them back down to the X-spec.

are you sure about that? The X hub looked the same as the later ones to Vandy and myself when we were comparing, which would explain why the X doesn't run the dished sprocket like the earlier hubs?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 09:21:54 am »
are you sure about that? The X hub looked the same as the later ones to Vandy and myself when we were comparing, which would explain why the X doesn't run the dished sprocket like the earlier hubs?

Absolutely - I'd even bet the value of your hair-care products on it.

The distance from the sprocket mounting face to the inside face of the spoke flange is 26mm for an X. For a D+ hub, it is more like 34mm (don't know that one exactly, because there's been no need).
Interestingly enough, on the D+ hub, cast into one of the recesses between the sprocket mounting studs, is "1G8" - the X prefix, making it totally indistinguishable from an original X hub after machining.

An X hub (or machined down D+ hub) will allow you to fit a flat sprocket to an A/B/C, FWIW.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2010, 02:16:05 pm »
some more happenings. not a great deal tho, motor will be back together soon.
got bars, seem a bit wide tho.
levers, perches, front brake done.

if anyone has a correct gear lever that i could have/buy/swap for id be really happy! If not ill get one from fleabay i suppose.

mainline

« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2010, 02:37:50 pm »
looking good! i thought I was catching up but you're leaving me behind.

You might want to adjust your fork boots though, looks like they've had a big day at the races ;D

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2010, 03:46:06 pm »
looking good! i thought I was catching up but you're leaving me behind.

You might want to adjust your fork boots though, looks like they've had a big day at the races ;D

haha yes it seems they have!

some things we have noticed that differ on the c and x models, that we didnt know before are
Different footpegs
different front brake cable, x being around 30mm longer
the X has more frame bracing around the rear engine mount, where the C is know for cracking in this area

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »
now that I can load pici's this is my yzx
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2011, 07:28:51 pm »
buying a house at the moment so not alot happening with my X but the engine should be together finally in the next fortnight just waiting for a bearing from the yanks!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2011, 08:28:02 pm »
Looks great mate.  You are doing an awesome job  8)
Are you going to paint the cases after you put them together or before ?
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2011, 08:45:33 pm »
Looks great mate.  You are doing an awesome job  8)
Are you going to paint the cases after you put them together or before ?

i was thinking after. think there will be any problems?

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2011, 08:54:20 pm »
also, mmmmmm nos.  ;D