Author Topic: 10 worst dirtbikes of all time...  (Read 24581 times)

All Things 414

Re: 10 worst dirtbikes of all time...
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2009, 07:01:01 am »
I see The Puntuation Police are back on the beat........ ::)

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2009, 07:49:41 am »
           (punctuation)  :-*

Surely you have the same problem trying to decipher incorrect spelling and one long sentence without any breaks. I know it is hard for me to read and sometimes give up as it seems like ramblings of a mad man. The longer the post, the worse it is.
Fair comment? Or just ramblings of a mad man.
On a side note my spelling isn't crash hot either any more.I haven't had to write/ type this much since school. Using Firefox must have a built in dictionary or is in the computer software as it underlines any incorrect spelling on the page and gives the correct spelling.

All Things 414

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2009, 08:10:11 am »
Well. Basically I think it's just wank and anal. I doubt their posts are unreadable.
The biggest thing I notice is that some 17 yr old kid is always getting jumped on about it and others (guys who I know are a lot older and hold a higher ranking in the VMX community and would tell you to fork right off) don't have a thing mentioned to them.
Hmmm?  :-*  :-*

All Things 414

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2009, 08:12:28 am »

I rest my case.....

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2009, 08:14:18 am »
I too think it is a VERY POOR EFFORT to post with no punctuation.  A few seconds is all it takes to change a posting from near nonsense to intelligent discourse.

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2009, 08:19:51 am »

I rest my case.....

Tongue in cheek bud.
Not unreadable. Just tend to put it in the too hard to read basket. Same as when you see a really long post and think nah, too hard (sometimes). A couple of full stops would help alot. Nothing personal to anyone either.

All Things 414

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2009, 08:22:58 am »
Don't call me Bud, Bwad.  ;)

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2009, 08:41:06 am »
 ::) Sorry....mate.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2009, 08:43:38 am »
I agree with Brad, it's frustrating to read but if nobody says anything, how is he going to get better? Most of us learn by repetition and once you leave what they call school these days it's all over. If we can get Frosty and others to write better then I think thats a positive. It's nothing personal but "you learn something every day" and thats one of the GOOD things about life!!!! Your not going to get better at anything unless somebody points it out. Cheers John. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2009, 08:58:37 am »
Or even "you're", John. My original post had a  ;) at the end of it, to indicate to FrostyPE400 that it's nothing serious. And the last thing I'd be doing is to dissuade a youngster from getting stuck into vmx : more the merrier I reckon, and I'm rapt that younger riders are able to "get" the buzz of hammering round on gnarly old clunkers with us. But we're not texting, and although I don't consider myself a member of the Punctuation Police, it doesn't hurt to at least go through the motions of hanging on to some of the grammar and punctuation that forms a legible read.

No offence, Michael, and hope to catch you at CD7  ;)

Thanks for your traditional calm and measured response, 414.  ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

All Things 414

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2009, 10:04:49 am »
Thanks for your traditional calm and measured response, 414.  ::)

That's what I'm here for......

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2009, 10:06:27 am »
I tried not to reply because I thought this might happen. It didn't really worry me that I had to spend a little time fixing a post. I doubt 414 I would tell any to get lost unless they were having a real go at me. I don't really know alot of guys personally so if I can get to cd7 even as a spectator that would be good thanks, Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

firko

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2009, 10:12:43 am »
What do you think about tm400 being 1 worst bike of all time?
Like I said earlier Michael, I don't think that there are any really bad dirt bikes, least of all the TM400. The Suzuki definitely has some nasty flaws but they can mostly all be sorted. The TM will never handle as well or have the sheer speed of a 440 Maico or 400 Husky but once the virus infected parts are removed or replaced, the big Cyclone is a handy piece of gear, capable of holding its own against the opposition. Plus, you've got a bike with a bad boy reputation...the motocross equivalent of dating Roberta Williams.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2009, 11:04:33 am »
That is good to know Firko I will have to ring a few guys and see if can find anything. I stopped looking for a little while because I have been doing that gt80 up but when that is done I will try and find a tm400 again thanks, Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

firko

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2009, 12:10:55 pm »
I see The Puntuation Police are back on the beat
And the squad is growing daily.  ;D
The biggest thing I notice is that some 17 yr old kid is always getting jumped on about it and others (guys who I know are a lot older and hold a higher ranking in the VMX community and would tell you to fork right off) don't have a thing mentioned to them.
Michael's not the only one that's been singled out at all. A number of others, most notably Freaky have been picked on for their lazy posting, and not just by me. I singled Freaky out (which inspired some sharp debate between us)because he's shown that he's more than capable of producing an articulate and well punctuated posting but more often than not his posts were bordering on indecipherable. You've probably noticed that his posts have improved beyond expectation in recent times. Michael's the product of the 'texting' generation where punctuation and sentence structure are bypassed in the interest of a quick text. He's not the only one, amongst others a prominent Viper identity is guilty of the same crime. Knowing that these guys are quite articulate,  its easy to dismiss their posts as lazy and with not caring about the reader.

I tutor HSC and Uni students in essay writing and and I've observed that 'text' style language as displayed in Michael and others posts is fast becoming the new accepted standard for written communication. It may be OK for a quick text to the mate to see if he wants to go for a beer but to present a 3000 word essay on business law with basic spelling mistakes, hardly any punctuation and paragraph long sentences is just plain disasterous. That's why the parents call me in, as the kids themselves can see nothing wrong with it until it's pointed out to them.

We don't have to produce posts Ernest Hemingway would be proud to call his own on the forum. All we need is a little bit of respect for those expected to read them by using capitals and punctuation where needed and take a bit of care with spelling. It's not that hard.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:23:40 pm by firko »