Author Topic: KLX's - a shared disease  (Read 155328 times)

derail

Re: KLX's - a shared disease
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2009, 05:29:40 pm »
Hi JC, I havn't had the 260 on a track yet, but will take it to CD6 and try it out, The twin pipes are built from a CRF250, its cheaper than easier than you would think, Just have to bend the header pipe a little, adjust the mufflers a bit and make a splitter pipe. Yes the frame colour has changed so both bikes are similar.

Muecke, the swing arm is std KLX 250 the side plates are 1978 KX250 and the exhaust manifold for the 260 is as above, the other bike has a 1-1/2" hand made system on it

NRD, you were close with the forks, they are off a Honda CR

Muecke

« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2009, 03:00:35 am »
Hi,
can you give me some detailed photos of the KLX 250 exhaust manifold?
Thanks.
Bye
Muecke

NRD

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2009, 08:07:34 pm »
Hi Derail
Did you use the KLX steering stem for the CR forks? I take it you used the triples off the CR as well. I thought the steering stems would be different diameters from the CR to the KLX.
Cheers
NRD

derail

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2009, 07:20:58 am »
NRD, the tripple crown is cr, I pressed out the steering stem and had one made to suit the KLX bearings and headstock
The other KLX has RM250 forks and I had to do the same thing with it.

Muecke, I"ll send you some details around the exhaust, it could take a few days however as work committments are keeping me away from home and out of the shed

Cheers, Derail

Muecke

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2009, 07:22:13 am »
Hi Derail,

that would be fine. :)
Bye
Muecke

NRD

« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2009, 01:21:23 pm »
Probably another dumb question but.... the internal diameter on the intake side of the original carb on my klx is 36mm. Does that mean it is a 36mm carb as I thought the standard klx carb was 32mm.
Cheers.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2009, 05:00:15 am »
Hmmm 36mm  :o
Are you running the weird carb with a twin cable setup or is it a single cable jobbie with it coming out of the top of the carb ?
I will need to up mine to 34mm soon, trouble is I cannot find a VM34SS with the twin cable set up. Been looking at buying a standard VM34 and using a single cable.
Thumpers Rule !

NRD

« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2009, 12:18:25 pm »
I have 2 KLX's and both have the same carb, 36mm with the cable on the side. One had the 2 cable set up on the throttle but only 1 cable connected. I now have a 36mm Lectron on the 1 going bike and it fit straight on both the airbox side and motor intake. I'm hoping it will run ok for CD6 as I have only tried it out on the street. I also drilled some 1/2" holes in the airbox to get a bit more air in there. Fingers crossed. Cheers.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2009, 09:04:39 am »
Derail,

Were the two delightful silver-framed KLXs (250 & 300) at CD6 yours?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2009, 06:42:59 pm »
Anyone see the pretty, black KLX powered RM125 at CD6?
Walked past, realised that it wasn't a stock KLX, but took two of us a couple of minutes to work out what it was.

A very nice bike, even if I don't fully understand why...
Same bloke has similarly nice twin-shock CRs with XL250 and XR200 engines in them.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

derail

« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2009, 06:57:00 pm »
Hi JC, yes those were my KLX's, I was only there for the day and spent almost every minute riding and walking around in a daze amazed by the number and quality of bikes that were there. It was the first time I rode the 250 on a MX track and was happy with it. For some strange reason it felt lighter(its not) and more nimble. The only real difference is RM forks on the 250, CR forks on the 300 and about 60cc in displacement.

Offline 1969ollie

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2009, 07:58:53 pm »
Hello guys,

I stumbled upon this forum and have read everyone’s post with interest can someone tell me the height of the stock handle bars for a KLX 250 B as my bike has late model bars which are to low in the sales brochures the stock bars look around 5 inches high can anyone conform this and where I may find some bars to suit.

Thanks Shep

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2009, 06:08:10 pm »
Hi Ollie,
I still have the original bars on my B1. I will measure them when I get home later.
The oe bars are like hens teeth now. The closest I found is a classic bend MX high bar from a seller on ebay. Luckily these were black. Not used them on the KLX yet as they found their way onto the CCM ! ! That'll teach me to bin it !
Thumpers Rule !

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2009, 06:17:02 am »
The KLX thread lives on ....

I have aquired a couple of KL250 motors to rebuild and "play" with. They are both the "black" motor. I guess one is A3 and the other is the A4. The later one has the roller bearing cam and a balancer shaft.
Anyone have any idea which would be the better one to tweek ? If I use the balancer shaft motor, will that cause any problems ?
Derail probably knows the answer here.... maybe.
Any thoughts guy's ?
Thumpers Rule !

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2009, 08:34:32 pm »
Hi Guys

Came across this thread after looking at all the Suzuki/Montesa stuff. I have a KLX 250 that I borrowed to ride in the 'States in 2003. I ended up buying it the following year. I'm in the process of bringing it home now.
This one's engine and frame number: KLX 250 00001

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/farmer58za/?action=view&current=127-2715_IMG.jpg

A bit slow but a brilliant bike nontheless.

It will get the full resto treatment but most probably not 100% to standard.

The Aussie bikes on this thread look great.

Regards
David in Johannesburg

Dave's not here man