Author Topic: KLX's - a shared disease  (Read 155327 times)

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: KLX's - a shared disease
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2012, 09:04:08 pm »
Hey Paulsky,
Looks great.

Did you move the top shock mounts back?
VMX42

yes I did to get a little more ride height to match the forks

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2012, 09:06:24 pm »
That looks great  :)

What are the side panels and tank off?

The side panels are from a 78 KX 250, the tank is a 79 KX 80, the front and rear mudguard are off an 88 KX 250, the number board off a 79 KX, the plastics are all from nighmare except the tank from eBay the I resprayed

TGR

« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2012, 01:14:13 am »
Congratulations, very good work, very nice, but personally I would have mounted the fenders of the 78 KX250 A4

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2012, 08:38:41 am »
The KLX is one of my all time favorite bikes. That one looks fantastic. I would love to buy one one day any do similar to yours. Keep up the good work.

Offline The Stroker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2012, 02:41:52 pm »
Nice  !! I prefer the KLX side covers

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2012, 06:42:47 am »
Stunning job. It looks different, thats what makes it unique.
What engine spec did you end up with. Did you use the original carb ? They were over carb'ed anyway.
I really hope it goes as well as it looks. I have a friend with a KLX that has had the rear shocks moved to the same place as yours. Goes well and handles too.
When are we going to get some competition shots, or even better some youtube footage ?
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2012, 05:45:45 am »
Stock carb, MTC piston and Megacycle cam, I battling to get the jetting right though, but no fear I'm driving 1200km on Friday to a race in Jhb this weekend (and then 1200km back on sunday) nothing like a good old road trip
I'll post some race pics on Monday

derail

« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:53 pm »
Paulsky, the KLX looks brilliant. That's what Kawasaki should have built and they would have sold them by the truck load.  The bike looks good from the back too and that's important because a number of two stroke riders will only see that side of it on the track. I have been thinking about your jetting problem and remembered I too had trouble in this area. Did you open up the air box to let lots more air in. That was my problem. Once the engine can breathe the air box becomes the restriction and they run rich up top not lean. I had to open the top and drill holes in the side ( pity to do that to a good air box I know).  The safe way to test this before you jump into hacking your air box apart is go for a run along a sealed road with no air box and filter and see what happens. The other trick I did when I got close was to run some Av gas and look at the spark plug colour. Av gas burns brilliantly and you can see the changes to combustion between one jet and another all over the various locations on the spark plug.  The lead replacement pump fuel all seems to burn pretty black on the plug and you need to move a few jets to get get a change.  I know you need to adjust again for pump fuel if you go back to it ( or just run a heap of octane booster) but you will be close
Regards, Derail

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2012, 03:39:45 pm »
Thanks Derail, I did drill the airbox, it turns out my bike had the wrong needle in it (who would change a needle?) anyway I got the jetting close, still missing and farting, and won my second heat after a whole lot of work on it, it handles like an absolute works bike, we really had a great day, here is the link to out local forum

http://www.e-dirt.co.za/site/forum_posts.asp?TID=46561&PID=759040&title=syringa-vmx-14-july-2012#759040

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=102716.0;topicseen

And a couple of my pics of my first time out race winner!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2012, 05:18:08 pm »
Hey Paulsky,
Good to hear you like the final product...

Do you think you can post a couple of details pics of the altered rear shock mounts. I am looking at the same mods and I would love to see what you have done.

Thanks
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

TM BILL

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2012, 06:22:38 pm »
Congratulations your bike really looks the goods  8) How do you get any sort of reasonable horse power out of one though  ???

I thought their strengh was in their handling in std trim  ??? the ones i have ridden have all been painfully slow  :-[ but the handling was great. I used to race with a bloke who raced one , he was a good rider and carried a lot of corner speed but on the straights the thing was like a postie bike. The bloke in question was a very good rider and would have been fast on a postie bike, but a wobbler on a klx would be a wobblers wobbler  ;D

All that aside Paulskys bike looks trick , best KLX i have ever seen im just curious as to how quick it is  :)

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2012, 06:33:22 pm »
Was at the racing Saturday.
That KLX is no fire breather but it is putting everything to the ground. Looks and sounds grreat!. Paulsky told me that on the long uphill at the back of the circuit, the lack of big power is very noticable. Credit to his riding skills - there was lots of competition.
Regards
David
Dave's not here man

Offline Bikeaholic

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2012, 10:55:31 pm »
Nice looking bike. Just acquired one myself recently. Also bought an 82 model new when they were all the rage.
I like your muffler but haven't been able to locate one. They aren't shown on the FMF website either. Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2012, 05:35:48 am »
Congratulations ...... a win first time out with a new bike  ;D
I guess you must be a fairly handy rider anyway.
Did you use the stock carb ?
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2012, 05:47:46 am »
Yes the bike is pretty slow, also I battled with the jetting all day, Grouty you asked if the carb is stock, yes it is, is there something you know, should I change the carb, do you have any suggestions, maybe a 36mm FCR?

The handling is actually quite incredible, there was a downhill off camber section that I could hang on the cable and the front tracked exactly where it was pointed and the back quietly just followed, handles as well as any new bike.

I still neede to wash the bike then I'll take pics of the shock mounting changes and post them, the silencer is a stickerised unit that I made myself, bit of badge engineering, I found one at the wreckers and then cut it shorter and bead blasted it to get the finish I wanted, looks like titanium
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:55:35 am by Paulsky »