Author Topic: KLX's - a shared disease  (Read 155326 times)

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: KLX's - a shared disease
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2009, 12:00:34 am »
That looks interesting David. If both numbers are "1", then I reckon it's worth restoring. Could be the first one.

On another note, maybe there are some electrical guru's out there .......
Looking through my spares motors it seems that the KL250 A4 & A5 have a slightly different flywheel and they also have an additional lighting coil. Albeit a smaller one than the first. If I use the stator with the 3 coils and flywheel on the KLX, will it make the lights any better (I doubt it) ? Does anyone know what the extra coil was for. I am also guessing that the two different types of flywheel and stators are not interchangable with each other.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2012, 01:14:10 am »
Can I use this piston in my KLX 250

4227M07200    $159.28   72.00mm    2.0mm    
Compression Ratio - Actual:
   12:1
Displacement:
   1075cc
Stroke:
   65.93mm
Notes:
   Cylinder boring required

Derail where are you??

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2012, 08:40:23 am »
Not heard from Derail in a while. I did send him an email a few months back, but no reply. I hope he's ok and still racing those KLX's.

I guess that part number is a Wiseco piston.
I have no love of that make, but I do use the MTC version. These are from the early KZ1000. Make sure you use the 17mm pin version. A 72mm bore is ok with a standard liner. Mine has run for a few years like this without any problems. You will get 262cc.That was until the big end went after 8000 miles from new.
Be careful of the 12:1 compression though. My MTC piston was rated at 10.5:1 in the KZ1000. It is a bit more in the KLX !!. The valves clear the piston with the standard cam. The same goes with the megacycle cam, but only just.
One of the reasons I don't like the Wiseco is that it comes with wire clips to retain the pin. The MTC comes with Teflon buttons. Sooo much better. If you have ever seen what an errant clip can do to a motor if it breaks loose..... !
If I get a chance I will find the ebay ad for MTC in Florida and post it up. Delivery from Joe Hooper (the dealer) is excellent. Price is good too. MTC pistons are also silicon free. Yes, it means warming it up properly before thrashing it, but well worth it.
Thumpers Rule !

derail

« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2012, 06:25:24 pm »
Hi Paulsky and Grouty, yes I am still around  although not as active with the KLX as I once was- knee reconstructions will do that to you.
 I regards to your piston question, Grouty pretty well has it covered. I used the 10.5 version of the Wiesco piston you are asking about. Your piston is 12:1. So it will fit but you will probably need to machine the valve pockets in the piston to get clearance for the valves and you may need to run avgas.  My 340cc KLX runs a 80mm version of that piston and I needed to machine the valve recesses in the piston to get clearance although I am running a megacycle cam. Compression ratio on that is around 13.4:1 from memory. Its a great thing but as expensive and time consuming to run as a modern 4 stroke MX bike. The upside is it flogs big bore two strokes and that as the add says is priceless

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »
Thanks very much for that grouty and Derail, I'm really excited about my KLX project, I've got a set of 43 KX forks and triple clamps, 18 inch Fox air shocks, a 79 KX 80 steel tank and a set of 78 KX 125 plastics from nightmare racing, just need to get the motor done, I'm battling with megacycles though (they don't work on email everything must be faxed ??? wtf) where else could I get one of their cams, I've faxed them 3 times and had no reply, I'm gonna google MTC pistons and see what I can find, thanks again guys

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »
The MTC pistons come from Joe Hooper at "Pitstop Performance" in Florida.
You will find the link to his ebay ad http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTC-Kawasaki-Z1-KZ900-KZ1000-Big-Bore-Piston-Kit-1075cc-/380033558871?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item587bc3e957. This is for the 72mm 10.5:1 pistons. Just call or email him and he will sell you a single piston. Excellent service too.

For Megacycle, you will have to use the telephone. You cannot beat talking to a real human being these days. You will need to speak to Barbera. She is the CEO, and knows just about all there is regarding Cams. Listen to what she recommends and heed her words wisely.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:24 pm »
For Megacycle, you will have to use the telephone. You cannot beat talking to a real human being these days. You will need to speak to Barbera. She is the CEO, and knows just about all there is regarding Cams. Listen to what she recommends and heed her words wisely.
I've actually met Barbara and she's not a lady to take lightly. Not many people know camshaft science as much as this lady. Dick Mann told me that she's the smartest cam person he's ever met. Wise words from a wise man about a wise woman ;).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03:51 am »
How ya doin Mark  :)
I take it that you are back up and running.

Barbera even told me which oil to use. If I wasn't so old, senile and forgetful I would be able to remember which one it was. I have a sneaky feeling we cannot get it in the UK. So maybe that's why it didn't register. I do remember it was a diesel oil though. Helpful eh !
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2012, 01:47:35 am »
Thanks very much for all the help guys
here is what my idea is although with 78 KX plastics and fox air shocks, I prefer the number boards under your legs

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2012, 04:33:05 pm »
My project is nearing completion, I need to know what gearing to run (what is stock) and also the jetting
(MTC piston, megacycle cam. 38 mm exhaust)

derail, grouty ???

Thanks

Offline Paulsky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2012, 01:25:18 am »
I'm done

Offline Rodpack

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2012, 03:34:14 pm »
Paulsky, that looks unreal. Best KLX I've seen.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2012, 05:35:44 pm »
Hey Paulsky,
Looks great.

Did you move the top shock mounts back?
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2012, 06:43:35 pm »
That looks great  :)

What are the side panels and tank off?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2012, 08:59:46 pm »
Really niiiiice!
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha