7 (14.3%)
Of no interest to me.
5 (10.2%)
Not going to make me happy.
4 (8.2%)
A bloody stupid idea.
24 (49%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Pre-90 for HEAVEN - an idea.  (Read 9183 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Pre-90 for HEAVEN - an idea.
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:20:07 pm »
Just an idea. Not a crusade, just an idea.

Are we clear on that?

Good.

Just wondering if the HEAVEN members who are keen on pre-90 and/or pre-85 would think that this is a good idea or a bad one:

Pre-90 races are combined with pre-85, but scored seperately (or pre-90 isn't scored at all).

We've all read/heard the arguments for and against the introduction of pre-90, a million times over - but for me, the best argument against pre-90 has been the lack of time on a race day to fit in another class (and the scheduling hassles).

So, as a possible solution, we could combine the two newer era classes into the one race. From a rider's point of view, you'd have to decide whether you wanted to race pre-85 or pre-90, and there'd be the possible argument that "Fred Bloggs was on a pre-85 bike, and he got in my way for three laps, so I couldn't chase my arch-rival Joe Schmoe!".

But it kills off 99.9% of the arguments against introducing pre-90 to HEAVEN.

Thoughts? Comments?

Please don't turn this into another thread about the merits and evils of pre-90 as a concept.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

shoey

Re: Pre-90 for HEAVEN - an idea.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:27:43 pm »
A decent step forward

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 02:02:53 pm »
Sorry Nathan I don't think this is a very good idea.

Pre 90 will, in the most part, attract younger guy's. These are the guy's who may already be running Pre 85 or Evo bikes. Why dilute the strongest class of the club?

My preference would be to run Pre 90 initially as a non point score class perhaps in the place of one of the Juniors races. If this is a problem the Juniors could be given an extra lap in their other races to make this up.

Cheers
Shaun #23

Offline Damo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:07:06 pm »
I agree with the STiG Pre 90 needs to be a stand alone class ONLY.

This could be easily be achieved by combining classes or at worst dropping a junior round :o :o :o ( Heaven forbid!!!)

Damo

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:26:00 pm »
There is one problem with Pre 90 being introduced at the moment and that is that the HEAVEN Constitution does not allow for it.

II. Statement of Objectives
1) Promote period, vintage and evolution off-road motorcycle events and racing.
2) Create relationships with like-minded clubs, companies and organisations.
3) Open to Pre 1965 and to Pre 1985 off-road motorcycles only.
a. Amended 21st October 2007.
4) Provide organisation to run classic dirt bike events in NSW and elsewhere.
5) Ensure goodwill and co-operation among members and affiliated clubs.
6) Encourage simple competition rules in the spirit of the era.
7) Encourage safety and fun in all events.
8) To maintain its affiliation with Motorcycling Australia and NSW and any other
association whose objectives are similar to those listed in this Constitution or to
withdraw if appropriate.

I am not sure on the legalities of this but I would think that this would need to be changed again to reflect any outcome of decissions made. This may take a while, I am not sure but I shall speak to some people about this process, not with the intention of changing it  but only  as a means of understanding what is required to make ammendments / changes to the constitution.
I do not mind either way if Pre 90 gets a start in the HEAVEN club as long as due process is followed and the members have the decision at the end of the day. Also, personally (and this is only my personal opinion) I would not like to see Pre 90 go ahead at the expense of the Pre 78 classes. We as a club (HEAVEN) need to find a way to encourage the Pre 78 bikes back to the track. I don't know how, but i am sure that it can be acheived with persistance and a positive attitude.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 02:47:40 pm »
Okay I know this is a bit anal but I've crunched some numbers  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Average riders per class per round year to date. Taken from current HEAVEN point score.

Pre 70 = 1.17
Classic 125 = 4.58
Pre 75 250 = 7.42
Pre 75 Open = 8.58
Pre 78 250 = 7.58
Pre 78 Open = 8.42
Post Classic 125 = 10.3
Evo 250 = 13.1
Evo Open = 11.3
Pre 85 = 15.5
Pre 85 Only = 17
Four Stroke = 9.58

While I was surprised that there wasn't a greater difference in the EVO classes to the Pre 78's I reckon the earlier era's need to be seriously looked at. With 12 point scorer's in the first Pre 70 race at Bulahdelah it is obvious that the old bikes are still out there but we seem to not be giving them what they want. I reckon we need more grass tracks and we need them now to try and entice the old guy's back in droves. If this can't be done then the future for the HEAVEN club without a succession plan which includes Pre 90's is in danger.

Cheers
Shaun #23 

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 03:04:54 pm »
Shaun,
They certainly are interesting stats. I beleive the plan for the way forward should include increasing Pre78 numbers as well as the introduction of Pre90 in some format at some time in the future.
Dan

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 03:07:14 pm »
Would it be feasible to combine some of the classes for older bikes to make room for a pre-90 class.   The numbers are down on these classes and we need to get more bikes on the line for each race. That would make room on race day for a pre-90 class.  I agree with Stig - there needs to be a succession plan to bring in new members or eventually there will be nothing.

montynut

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 03:10:27 pm »
Changing the constitution of any Club or Association is always difficult usually requiring a very large majority of members to support the motion at an AGM or Special Meeting. It is amost always not just a simple majority of those present.

To change a constitution rule that specifies a clear cut off date is a very major change as it goes to the fundamental objective of the Club. If it where to be changed then it probably should not be replaced with another date but specify a bike age otherwise in 5years time the same problem arrives for Pre95 when they approach twenty years old.

At present the possibility of introducing a Pre90 class as an official class appears dead in the water. This would also, in fairness, preclude combining them as a non official class with Pre85 which is an official class.

As a club we need to work hard to preserve Pre78 as that is a very important era in dirt bike development.

Just my thoughts

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 03:14:33 pm »
yes ditto: interesting stats show that pre75 are only just half of pre85...still shows to me the strong numbers in that 70 era.

Quote:
HEAVEN club without a succession plan which includes Pre 90's is in danger.

ditto again: definitely need a plan for the future as do all OZVMX clubs.

cheers
Best is in the West !!

shoey

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 03:15:51 pm »
Modifying of the constitution is easy.

Put the pre-90 issue to a full membership mail out vote.

If its for , engage the Solicitor to ammend the constitution. very low cost

If its against , unlucky and put it to the vote again the following year.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 03:19:07 pm »
Shaun,
They certainly are interesting stats. I beleive the plan for the way forward should include increasing Pre78 numbers as well as the introduction of Pre90 in some format at some time in the future.
Dan

Agree 100% Dan.

It would be good to hear from others (especially Pre 78 riders) what they want and what it will take to get them out on the track.

Cheers
Shaun #23

Offline Damo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 03:20:02 pm »
Hey STiG,

Where are the Juniors stats??

Well done mate on your input.

See you at Lakes will have the Pre 90 with me.

Damo

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 03:29:02 pm »
Hey STiG,

Where are the Juniors stats??

Well done mate on your input.

See you at Lakes will have the Pre 90 with me.

Damo

Just for you Damo as I know your a huge fan of the Juniors.

Average 5.25

Cheers
Shaun #23

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 03:31:23 pm »
Modifying of the constitution is easy.

Put the pre-90 issue to a full membership mail out vote.

If its for , engage the Solicitor to ammend the constitution. very low cost

If its against , unlucky and put it to the vote again the following year.

Dead right Shoey. The constitution in its current form was changed by smoke and mirrors. It's time the members have their say.

Cheers
Shaun #23