7 (14.3%)
Of no interest to me.
5 (10.2%)
Not going to make me happy.
4 (8.2%)
A bloody stupid idea.
24 (49%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Pre-90 for HEAVEN - an idea.  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-90 for HEAVEN - an idea.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »
Here's a thought, could we include a ballot paper or survey with the membership applications for 2010 containing key points of interest for the future of the club????? Construct it so that the membership only becomes valid if you complete the attachment??? Or is that being to harsh???

shoey

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »
Shaun

The membership should always have their say

Im not sure about the smoke and mirrors ,the original constitution was put together with good intentions , however the previous constitution was rather open to interpretation and very untidy to say the least.

The intent of the constution changes in 2007 was to tidy up the whole direction of the club at that time and i feel at the time it really steady the ship for numerous reasons .

Changes always unsettle the membership , but generally it settles and life in Heaven moves along smoothly. There are devils in heaven too ( Excuse the Punn) we just have to live with the mix

It is a club and at all times it belongs to the current membership . Having said that the clubs constitution can be changed to reflect the wishes of the membership. You just need to get lucky and get the vote.

As far as juniors are concern , in my opinion they should be allowed and further to that it not only encourages the family thing ,but also the father / son thing which are gold reserves for the future.

Its a good club , fun people , well travelled and a good going concern but like all things needs a tweak now and then. Same old , same old rarely stands the test of time

shoey

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 03:55:22 pm »
Bit harsh there Dan

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 04:01:40 pm »
OK then, just a thought but at least I am willing to put my thoughts out there to be sctutinized. Without input from all walks of life ( members intended) the club cannot arrive at a plan to move forward. To many people sit back and complain about things being wrong in the club or not working or are not what they want but they will not put there hand up and have their say or take up a position in the committee where they can make a difference. If we all concentrated on be pro-active instead of re-active with a positive thought process, the possibilities are endless.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 04:02:25 pm »
Shaun

The membership should always have their say

Im not sure about the smoke and mirrors ,the original constitution was put together with good intentions , however the previous constitution was rather open to interpretation and very untidy to say the least.

The intent of the constution changes in 2007 was to tidy up the whole direction of the club at that time and i feel at the time it really steady the ship for numerous reasons .

Changes always unsettle the membership , but generally it settles and life in Heaven moves along smoothly. There are devils in heaven too ( Excuse the Punn) we just have to live with the mix

It is a club and at all times it belongs to the current membership . Having said that the clubs constitution can be changed to reflect the wishes of the membership. You just need to get lucky and get the vote.

As far as juniors are concern , in my opinion they should be allowed and further to that it not only encourages the family thing ,but also the father / son thing which are gold reserves for the future.

Its a good club , fun people , well travelled and a good going concern but like all things needs a tweak now and then. Same old , same old rarely stands the test of time

Shoey I have no problem with Juniors participating. In fact my own daughter has competed with HEAVEN as a junior prior to turning senior this year.

I do have a problem though with being told that there is not enough room in the program as a reason not to include Pre 90.

We have in the past run race meetings with three rounds and full grids. There only needs to be a tweak made to the program by maybe combing less subscribed classes or looking at the place Junior races take in the program.

Cheers
Shaun #23

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 04:09:10 pm »
An observation from my part is that we as a club take too long to get going in the morning on race days. We always start off with a timetable on the program, but very rarely do we seem to stick to it. I think that you are spot on Shaun in regards to tweaking the program but I think ( my opinion only) it comes down to time management. HEAVEN has a laid back approach our events and I mean this in a GOOD WAY because it adds to the whole atmosphere of the events but I think that it can sometimes work against us from a time management point of view and we end up decreasing the number of laps etc to get through the program.
What does everyone else think?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 04:25:28 pm »
An observation from my part is that we as a club take too long to get going in the morning on race days. We always start off with a timetable on the program, but very rarely do we seem to stick to it. I think that you are spot on Shaun in regards to tweaking the program but I think ( my opinion only) it comes down to time management. HEAVEN has a laid back approach our events and I mean this in a GOOD WAY because it adds to the whole atmosphere of the events but I think that it can sometimes work against us from a time management point of view and we end up decreasing the number of laps etc to get through the program.
What does everyone else think?

:D  Sorry but looking in from the outside----you have juniors,a late time table and now pre90's the mind boggles how you keep going. ?
Must be a good committee of people.  8)
ps you can tell this old pre75'er to shut up if ya like  :D
cheers
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:27:57 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 04:27:55 pm »
Yes we do have good committee people!

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 05:48:47 pm »
some points,
 1   You could not really run pre 90 with pre85 as the grids are quite full already
 and at the moment pre 85 is not yet  divided into Capacity classes,

2 The juniors are  "used" in most Heaven events not to give them lots of track time
but to give breaks between events so riders are not doing to many back to back races,
Personally I like to watch them but club days are not really about the spectacle its about being able to get out and have a fang on your weapon of choice and having fun doing it , not giving your self a heart attack ,

3 combining classes sounds fine, but it would mean that a number of riders would have to drop a class  if they 
ride in both the combined classes further reducing old bike participation,  If I was to get less rides in the older classes
I would probably bring more newer bikes with me which leads to !!

4 how do you run a day,  age old problem of official's ,people who are prepared not to ride so others can, this is the biggy,   structuring classes so everybody gets a fare amount of track time and does there fare share of allowing that to happen for others.

"Looking at the stats, those smaller percentage of riders had to cover   the same amount of work that the larger percentage of riders did   to run the days racing ?" ( same amount of work ,less people to share the load)
The other thing that those statistics don't show are what classes have the most regular riders, those that do most events. The later classes have, over the year a greater number of participants but lots of those have only done one or two events through out the year .

another interesting point is that over the last few years the majority of committee members have been Pre 78 riders
so when the work needs doing on the day the first to drop out of racing has been the committee members hence less pre78 bikes on the grid

so no real answers from me just points to consider,
 using  tracks that are official friendly  :o

running combined classes as we did at Clarence with 2 all in pre75 races and 2 all in pre 78 races seemed to work and the scoring can be jigged to work but we needed junior races in between each senior race to swap bikes and get back to the line

Maybe we would have to rework the day so we have Pre Evo rather than pre78,   then pre85/90
 a work in progress.
Cheers
Noel

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:32:45 pm by Noel »

shoey

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 08:27:11 pm »
Good for you Dan , your entitled to your opinion , its good to get your thoughts out there and i for one encourage you to stand for membership of the Heaven committee.

Being on the committee can actually be quite rewarding .

montynut

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:26 pm »
Sorry Stig and Shoey,
I'm am not trying to get into a legal augument although I have had considerable experience with Club and Associations and their Constitutions.

My understanding is that Club Constitutions when registered by the the department of fair Trading, as they all should be to give some personal protection to Committee Members and even club members against litigation. The constitution must contain the mechanism of change otherwise it cannot be changed full stop. A simple system of mailing out a paper ballot with an idea and then a third party drawing up the actual wording of the change after the even is just not or should not be acceptable to anyone.

A constituational change must take place at an AGM or Special Generational Meeting held under the rules set out in the Constitution such as notice of meeting and its content etc. The motion to amend the Constitution must be circulated with the notice of meeting to ensure all members are are able to fully consider the changes. Motion/s must contain the exact changes proposed including the current wording and proposed wording and be appropiately moved and seconded by the necessary members as specified in the Constitution.

Often Constitutional changes require the support of 75% of all members not just members present at the meeting. The Constitution may specify only a simple majority of all members . The reason for this is the accepted belief that the constitution as it stands was inshined with due diligence and therefore changes must be very carefully considered.

Possibly the Constitution if changes should specify that the club is for dirt bike >20yrs old and then move the actual classes and events etc to a set of by-laws which can be changes more easily as required by members requirements.

As I said I'm not trying to get into an augument but I am concerned as a Heaven member who is starting to feel that we may head back toward rough waters if members do not follow a fair, correct and open democratic process. I personally am not interested in Pre75 or Post85 events but love watching the older bikes and feel that Pre90 and eventually Pre95 etc is inevitable and most welcome. It must be done correctly

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 10:01:14 pm »
No problem Monty.

The thing is it was changed in 2007 and so if it is what the membership wants it can be changed again.

If the membership rejects the proposal then so be it.

All I would like to see is a proposal tabled and, as long as there is a quorum and/or enough proxy votes present, voted on properly at the AGM (which is in a months time at Glenbawn btw).

The bottom line is we need to put together a proposal for the future direction of the club and have it circulated to the entire membership so it can be properly considered.

Cheers
Shaun #23

montynut

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 10:41:15 pm »
Hopefully we can have a productive AGM. I will be there but not riding unfortunately. We should be very thankful for our present Club Adminstration team as they are doing a great job.

Also with a bit of luck I'll have a Pre78 bike on track next year. I'll let you guess what brand ;D

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 10:45:05 pm »
Montynut,
How the ankle coming along? How long till you are back on a bike?

montynut

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:58 pm »
Broken lower leg actually. Finally got off crutches last week walking like I'm 120 y.o. :o The bloody surgeon (pinned Tibia) will not give me a clearance for my MA licence until mid to late November at the earliest. So it looks like next year for me. Missed 5 Heaven events, National Dirt Track and 4 Twinshock Trials. Have not even been able to do much work on my current restorations because the leg swells up and pains like hell :'( I know I'm just a big wooze ::)

Should have seen the look on my wifes face when I suggested buying another bike ::) Somehow I talked her into it 8)