Author Topic: 465 muffler info needed  (Read 5012 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: 465 muffler info needed
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 07:19:05 pm »
Not yet Frosty but the next product is only an order away ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 07:22:25 pm »
ok sounds good :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

yz490rules

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 10:57:51 am »
Hi GMC.

Here is one on a 465G.  The muffler is in bad condition with the end blown off.

Are you repairing or remanufacturing ones for these bikes?  If not do you know if the DG ones from DirtOverstock correct for a 465G pipe where I dont have to use a extension piece from a 490J to make them fit?

Do you know anyone to use to blow out the dents in the origional pipe?  Hopefully its still strong enough to take it...lol

thanks

Stephen

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:21:29 pm by yz490rules »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 04:40:25 pm »
Hi Stephen
I am trying to correct my jig to manufacture mufflers for this model.
I'm unsure about all of the changes between the models so can't comment on the DG stuff
I repair pipes, blow dents out & repair mufflers as well

yz490rules

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 11:12:02 pm »
cool, I would like to keep the origional pipe and an origional looking muffler if possible.

I put this on a mates 490J and the whole setup meets the bolt holes on the J frame.  The G pipe itself is longer in length than the J one.  The J muffler has an additional resonator?? section as part of the muffler.  So the lenght of the muffler front section that joins to the pipe is shorter on the G than the J.  I guess any prospective buyers need to know if the bike has an origional G pipe not a substitute J one.

The pipe on this bike lived in a chook run for many years.  I got the bike for a case of beer and the pipe was hanging off it full of feathers and shit.  Its a bit rusty on the outside but seems solid enough. I would be interested in sending you the whole shebang for repair.  Would you need it sand blasted first?

I had a couple of initial questions about the mufflers.  I just want to do some flat track meets with the kids so I'm a bit worried about how quiet I need to get this so I dont get pinged at the track?  I have another YZ490S with a pro-circuit pipe and muffler and it is bloody deafening. lol  I realise you cant quieten them much but I had an 84 L model when they were new and I cant remember it being so loud with the standard muffler.  Maybe when I was 20 they just sounded good.

I was contemplating using a spare J muffler and trying to cut that up to make one for the G. Is the one you make going to have a removable end cap so we can repack the thing every now and again but retain that origional look?

thanks for your time,

Stephen

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 10:25:46 am »
Is the one you make going to have a removable end cap so we can repack the thing every now and again but retain that origional look?

I think the originals were steel?
This is typical of my mufflers, round polished alloy, with removable ends for repacking.
This is what I had for the 465 but it turns out the stinger section is wrong.