Author Topic: mugen parts  (Read 13433 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: mugen parts
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 08:12:52 pm »
I don't recall too many sport shattering results (barring Johnny 0)from Mugen or Wheelsmith for that matter. With both the myth is bigger than their overall place in motocross history. However that myth has created a market and 'Wheelsmith this and Mugen that' the genuine stuff that is, has a strong collector market and cool factor and their place in history whether deserved or not. My point was that Lozzas 360 barrel would undoubtedly work better than a genuine Mugen barrel but it wouldn't have the cool, collectable 'aura' that the Mugen has.

Beg to differ here Firko , Andre Malherbe was hot and won the last 3 GP'S in 79 on a 360 mugen - against the big works hondas.
Steve wise and Marty smith hhad some success - also remember that the mugen was short lived , soon after Honda had a bigbore production bike

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 08:15:23 pm »
What was the result with the 360 you did Michael? worth the effort?
I rode Steve Sweeneys' 360 and it was awesome. It pulled from idle and had a real strong mid range. Brian from NZ rode it at the nationals and holeshot with it.

Theres a bit of difference between Mugens as well of course .Steves is a very nice well set up bike .Thats for sure .

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 08:22:11 pm »
A nos mugen kit would have to set you back around the 4G mark, wouldn't you say?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 08:34:29 pm »
Steve Wise's CR125 Fox/Mugen bike was very trick and he finished first privateer in the '77 AMA Nationals and Marty Smiths '79 national bike apparently had a 360 Mugen engine so i guess Mugen had a bit off success in the US.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 09:25:44 pm »
Shoey - I had an ME250 Mugen kit - piston, barrel, head and pipe - I have never been a small boy and to use this 250 to finish 3rd in the 500cc class of a state round of grass track I think for me says it.  yes there might be lots of mistique etc now but there stuff was used by Honda as works bikes for a period and it did deliver.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 11:06:22 pm »
The engines together but hasn't been run yet. Can't see any reason why it won't be every bit as good as the Mugen kit. It will in fact be better, as it doesn't cost a squillion to do it.
Cheers,
K

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2009, 11:59:01 am »
The engines together but hasn't been run yet. Can't see any reason why it won't be every bit as good as the Mugen kit. It will in fact be better, as it doesn't cost a squillion to do it.
Cheers,
K
Okay Mick , hope its a rocket .Just wondering how you managed it . I measured 81-82 mm for the OD on the cylinder skirt so with a 83 mm piston that would be gone.If you installed a liner then that would solve that issue but the thickness of the liner would compomise the transfers .
See you at Monza.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2009, 12:38:41 pm »
A nos mugen kit would have to set you back around the 4G mark, wouldn't you say?

sellers market.... does that include the gearbox parts or just the top end/

Interestingly Pace was not exactly complementary about the 360. Still if you want it, want to build the trickest CR in the world, like a Wheelsmith Maico or similar then you pony up with the cash.

Would like one for my Foxy CR. Its about having the good stuff.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: XL250 mugen parts
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 01:01:32 pm »
Meanwhile back in Tokyo wheer there was no market for CR parts,  Mugen was whacking out parts for XL250s, pipes, pistons and cams....for the KSI theme bike I have the pipe and the cam, and more importantly as any Civic R Type driver will tell you I have the window width decals.  ;)
formerly Marc.com

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 01:10:52 pm »

sellers market.... does that include the gearbox parts or just the top end/

Interestingly Pace was not exactly complementary about the 360. Still if you want it, want to build the trickest CR in the world, like a Wheelsmith Maico or similar then you pony up with the cash.

Would like one for my Foxy CR. Its about having the good stuff.

I sold my NOS kit , barrel,head,gears, piston and rings with a machined ready to go crank and cases for $4500 and I think I under sold it. :-\

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 02:08:52 pm »
I mean $4500 bucks is still enough .... in these tough economic times.  ;D

Remember when that kind of money would have bought you the bike as well.
formerly Marc.com

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2009, 09:20:18 pm »
Im splitting hairs a bit, but Paces bike was a 390 mugen, not a kit bike. So it would be a bit of a different animal.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 09:34:57 pm »
I mean $4500 bucks is still enough .... in these tough economic times.  ;D

Remember when that kind of money would have bought you the bike as well.

You are right but I sold my kit before last xmas when things didn't look as bad.

HaHa I don't need much reminding because thats exactly what I did.I took that money and bought a nice pre 85 250.It needed minimal work amd $ and I've finished every raceday on that bike with a trophy.But of course its not a Mugen. :-X

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:45 pm »
Im splitting hairs a bit, but Paces bike was a 390 mugen, not a kit bike. So it would be a bit of a different animal.

Brad Im not sure but didnt Pace have a 360 kitted bike first and then got the 390 later (which was a stroked 360) ? Anyway he didnt like it/ one of them.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 10:08:12 pm »
I see mark pace occasionally and according to him it was a 360 Mugen and he didn't like it.. he said he preferred to ride the 250 whenever he could. I know there is a 390 getting around that was supposedly his bike but he doesn't seem to remember it.