Author Topic: pre 90 vmx  (Read 15587 times)

Re: pre 90 vmx
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 08:48:49 am »
I started racing in 1972 to 1979 then l finihed. The classic started in 1990. I have been thinking about this, l feel that the classic meetings can acommondate all era of classes, the tracks need to be Longer and more flowing just like the european tracks. One or two races for each classes., At connondale it worked just fine, and l personally ran to the fence when l new that glenn Bell was in that race on this 500 cr, and l most say l wished that l was a tad younger to race with him. We all love our era, lets help each other and move on and grow with this wonderfull sport. (Lets stop the bull sh.....T.)
You started the bull sh.t  when you told pre 80 85 and 90 to piss off. All eras can and do co exist in the sport we enjoy.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 08:58:46 am »
Gee Shaun...bus driving is making you angry.haha

I know I know....I still have to pick up that frame from you

Haha Ted my idiot tolerance level may have dropped a bit  ;D ;D ;D

Where have you been mate? Are you going to Lakes?

Cheers
Shaun #23

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 09:16:07 am »
Here we go round the roundabout, it's here to stay and even though it don't float my boat, I think it needs to be around to keep the numbers up, just don't call it vintage. The one and only club in Vic who limits the bikes to pre '75 has very few numbers on a race day, and before you jump on me, I'm not bagging them, that's what they want to do and it's just my observation. I like pre '75 but with my worn out old knees, the lack of suspension really plays havoc with them, so I prefer Pre '78 & Evo purely for my bodies sake. I'm sure there are others in the same situation. I'd be better off on a pre '90 bike with good suspension & brakes, but it's not my thing. Who really gives a shit anyway?
Cheers,
K
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:56:00 am by bigk »

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 09:39:13 am »
Nothing wrong with you not being into them thats for sure Michael. You won't get bagged for that. You take out of vintage what floats your boat. Thats all that it should be.
I will never let slide others that say that longer travel bikes dont belong in the vintage scene. They are only a minority anyway, with Hornet aka Wasp aka Walter aka who ever else flying his pre75 only flag .
I will agree to disagree with not calling a 20+ year old bike a vintage bike. My 1985 cr is certainly not a modern in my book. Calling it classic or post vintage or similar would maybe make things better. Lets face it. Pre 65 is the true vintage!
Everything you said BK is correct . IF   they would not alter the good pre 75 tracks  and dig bigger holes then there where in 75 . That is the problem . the pre 75 s then become only good to look at . Broken backs and fatalities then where very rare . And that is fact and no dribble  ;)
My pre 70 was fine at the nationals which had big numbers of bikes and had pre 85 hole diggers there as well.
When was the last time you threw a leg over a pre 75 2 wheeler yourself?

firko

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 10:21:46 am »
Here we go round the roundabout, it's here to stay and even though it don't float my boat, I think it needs to be around to keep the numbers up, just don't call it vintage. The one and only club in Vic who limits the bikes to pre '75 has very few numbers on a race day, and before you jump on me, I'm not bagging them, that's what they want to do and it's just my obsevation. I like pre '75 but with my worn out old knees, the lack of suspension really plays havoc with them, so I prefer Pre '78 & Evo purely for my bodies sake. I'm sure there are others in the same situation. I'd be better off on a pre '90 bike with good suspension & brakes, but it's not my thing. Who really gives a shit anyway?
Yeah Big K..the same old chestnut and the same old accusations that all pre 90 protaganists just 'don't get it' . But you know what? I fully agree with the big K take on it. If the concensus wants pre 90 well go for it. It has the potential to be one of the sports great spectacles. The 80-90 era heralded more change and innovation than any era before and since and deserves to be a part of the wide world of 'old bike motocross'.

My whole stance against the introduction of pre 90 has always been about the timing of its introduction and nothing to do with my liking or disliking of the bikes. I've lost count of the number of times I've been accused of "hating" pre 90 bikes and of being biased against them. It annoys me no end that I've become the poster boy of the 'head in the sand old school' as one forum regular so eloquently christened me. Statements like "The self-righteous claim to sole ownership of "vintage" MX is offensive and clearly wrong" in reference to anyone who opposes the introduction are equally offensive to me and actually saddens me that myself and those sharing my philosophy are seen in that light.

Now on to more importand things, Have you given to the Noel Clarke fund yet?

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 10:34:24 am »
my last ride on a VMX bike was on the 125 Kawa  , but  unless it was a grass track , it was no longer fun , so it hade to go . Thats why I got my self the KTM . Good luck with your fishing expedition and be carefull of the rough waters  ;)
Another edited post.
Fishing?
I reckon i got me one, swallowed the hook, line and sinker.
The way someone writes is their signature. real easy when your spelling is bad and consistently spell the same things wrong. In this case its hade (had) which are in these two posts by Hornet and Wasp.
I could find more but i don't want to spend too much time on it.
my last ride on a VMX bike was on the 125 Kawa  , but  unless it was a grass track , it was no longer fun , so it hade to go . Thats why I got my self the KTM . Good luck with your fishing expedition and be carefull of the rough waters  ;)

Dave , just hade someone offering me a 81 for $3500 . Told me it was still all presentable and excellent  working .
If thats what you are looking for I can persue his offer further .
Seeing as i know you are Walter and knowing you only ride sidecars, i cant understand why a track chopping up because of later model bikes worries you seeing as you dont ride one. thats why I asked when you last threw a leg over and your last post is irrelevant .
Rough waters? Watcha got?

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 10:50:06 am »
Ha! Thought as much.::)
Your user name should be 'edited post'.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 11:05:15 am »
oh well--- off we go to modern MX  ;D    :-* Have a good weekend  8)

Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 11:09:37 am »

What is the difference between a 1989 CR and a 2000  CR bike ?  The answer is , not much . So you just cleared that matter up yourself  ;D

Quite a lot, actually:
Frame material and design, size of the brakes, suspension design, long stroke motors, much more sophisticated power valves, much better carbs and ingitions, ergonomics, wheel size, etc etc.
Even a nuffie rider like myself can feel and appreciate the difference.

A modern MX rider would laugh at the idea of riding a ten year old MXer.

I know that the next argument will be "but a good rider on a pre-90 bike will be able to beat a lot of riders on current machinery!".
This is true, and I don't argue with it.
However, if you think that's a solid argument against pre-90 as an old bike class, then you should look at the fastest pre-70 lap times from the Nationals and see where those bikes/riders would have finished in the pre-85 class... I think you'll find that the only logical conclusion is that we've been wasting our time by seperating bikes by eras since 1988. ::)
OR, the seperation of eras isn't entirely about competitiveness, and has a lot more to do with showcasing eras of bikes.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

suzuki43

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 05:52:30 pm »
Don't sweat it Firko,one of your many redeeming features is your welcoming spirit and openess to the 'modern members' of the VMX community.I will always fondly remember the time when I announced to you and Bernie,at the Broadford GP, that I had procured my first VMX bike-a 1983 RM 125D,and  how you welcomed me to VMX so warmly (no it wasn't a deliverance style initiation,but a warm handshake).
Whilst this topic is getting a tad tiresome (I for one am a Pre 90 fan) its great to see some passion flowing.Good to see Elvis firing up,hopefully you can get across to Taupo early December mate.
Long live fluro graphics,bad boy club t-shirts,and flat top haircuts.

CamP

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 06:07:25 pm »
Long live fluro graphics,bad boy club t-shirts,and flat top haircuts.

I can relate to that.

Being a Texan, I have no stake in what the Aussie vintage clubs do, but in my eyes any dirt bike over 20 years old is a vintage dirt bike. A '74 CR125 is just an older vintage than a '83 RM125. As time marches on, so should the line that delineates these old bikes. If you try pigeon hole one era into vintage and exclude other old bikes from joining the club, your hobby will die as people get too old to ride and bikes/parts become more scarce. If you want to continue to grow, your definition of vintage will have to be broadened.   

albrid-3

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 06:08:30 pm »
Design the tracks the right way.

It is time that we learn, to design these tracks to suit pre 65 to pre 90, these tracks need to flow, do away with short stop and start corners, The main straight needs to be alot longer and wider, wider at the starts and funnel in, into a sweeping flowing corner, when the corners are stop and go corners the post classic, evo bikes rut it out very deep and pre 65 to pre 75 bikes find this hard to ride on. So learn from the riders who ride on pre 75 machines they are the ones closer to the ground, build the tracks the right way and we all will be happy. cheers
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:11:09 pm by albrid-3 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 06:21:10 pm »
I totally agree with you about the tracks Albrid but unfortunately a lot of the guys marking out the tracks were not motocross riders before their vmx days and have little or no experience and mark out single trail goat tracks.
Wide flowing tracks don't chop up as bad because of the many different lines available and also makes for better racing.

albrid-3

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 06:49:59 pm »
thanks johnno, too shay.

CamP

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »
I don't have a clue what your tracks are like but we race on some old school tracks as well as contemporary tracks. Some are tight and some are wide open.

Our last local vintage race was on this track. It has soft dirt so it did rut up a bit.

And this is how many pre-'75 125's showed up. I didn't hear any of them complaining about it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:51:49 pm by CamP »