Author Topic: New addition to the family  (Read 30798 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New addition to the family
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2011, 04:43:42 pm »
I haven't put it back together I need to rebuild the whole bike I will do the motor Stew. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »
Ahh....thats a given,new seals went in as they're external on both sides on the PE250/400 so it was a 2 minute job with the cover off and i think it took me longer to type this than to put the seals back in  ;D
As for bearings,i've been around engines long enough to know and hear what a bad bearing looks and feels like.
If its a dunger after starting it,i'd be happier knowing that than throwing money into it.
It will all be sorted once its up and running and i'm happy with it.
Tearing it down only takes an hour so i'm not fussed.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2011, 06:10:23 pm »
G'day Mario.I gotta pay you a big compliment.
This is one of the most informative threads that I've followed on here;with pics,and information on rebuilding,also parts gathering,and troubleshooting,etc.
Please keep updating,its bloody fascinating.

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

monaro308

« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2011, 02:25:35 am »
Thanks Mark,its all part of the entertainment on here ;D
It helps me out too as its easier than keeping notes and anyone can chime in on helping out others too.
Plus without the help of Luke's skydrive info and tips from Leith,Luke,Frosty,Doc,and TM Bill its a safe bet we're all in good hands Suzuki wise at least.
I'm sure we all like to read about bikes,but i also like to read about bike builds,shitty,show,or out of left-field...its still worthy of a read to me anyway.
cheers...mario

mxfool

« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »
thank you for another must see retso, love it keep up the good work

mxfool

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2011, 07:03:11 pm »
Good stuff Monaro enjoyed every minute of it.
What did you find under the old seat cover?
Have a RM seat on my 78/250 and bought a cover from Thailand .
It hasn,t enough extra on the sides to pull underneath and staple so I am going to have to cut the foam.
My flywheel looks nothing like those ones shown , it has a stainless ring around the outside end of the magnets and there is a clamp plate with one c/sunk screw between two of the magnets forcing the whole lot outwards. This plate also gives a gap which acts as the CDI trigger point and makes the whole unit unbreakable , I am now wondering what it came off.
Part no ( for those interested ) FP6167 * 4192. Made by KOKUSAN Japan.
Cheers
Mike.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:16:41 pm by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

monaro308

« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2011, 11:09:32 pm »
Minor update.....
I had a bit of time on saturday to play with the bike and give it a final check and it fired up within 3 kicks.
Compression is spot on too and being just shy of 5'7,with the PE trait of a high seat height i had to use the stand to give it a good kick :D

One thing i forgot to mention was,when i replaced the crankseals,the RH side seal was almost hanging out.
It looked like it wasn't seated properly as you could see the case mark offset on the outer edge of the seal.
The left side seal from memory cant move out because of the stator plate but the RH seal has nothing to secure the seal from popping out.
I used loctite on the outer edge of the seals for peace of mind.
I'm not sure if it was a common problem for popping seals on the RH side on the RM/PE engines,but it does look easy to do.

Back to the bike.....revving the bike i noticed bits of fibreglass/packing spitting out of the muffler and i knew it will have to be cut apart and repacked as it weighed a ton
when i put it on the bike.
I even had time to go over all the wiring to make sure everything worked.
High beam is blown and stop light was blown,so thats 2 globes to buy.
Horn button was broken inside the switch gear assembly and i disected another PE switch i had to repair it....all good now.

The '"dickhead" award goes to me as well for trying to trace a "fault" with the flasher indicator light.
It would work when indicating right but not when indicating left! ::)
After stripping and checking my wiring against the PE diagram i could not find a problem in the wiring.

Then it dawned on me that after not being able to find the original globe and socket that i "think" i lost,
i fitted an LED that was small enough to fit in the original grommet.
It worked great on the bench and i thought why not add a bit of 21st century bling to a 31 year old bike. ;D

1 week ago i knew that LED's work oneway...so the left indicator would not feed the LED.....as i said...dickhead :P
Thats 2 hours of my life that i will not get back.
Thats about all i did on the bike.

Mike,i haven't pulled the cover off the first seat with 2 covers but i will out of curiousity as i think its an RM seat
The seat i'm using is the correct PE one.
As for your flywheel i think yours is an early 250 one or a 175 one.
Thanks mxfool.

cheers...mario

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2011, 08:08:19 pm »
Cut the muffler open for sure you get so much more go if you haven't got excess restriction from a blocked muffler I used to have trouble on my original pipe it would always spit oil from the front of the pipe now with a gmc pipe oviously nice and clean it never blows the high temp red I use to seal it. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2011, 08:20:50 pm »
Hi Michael,
You are correct as mine is spitting oil at the front flange.
I remember doing my PE175X muffler back in the day and boy what a difference a repacked muffler made on that bike.
Freakin' cold wet nights in the shed at the moment and i'm not getting much done during the week.
I'll be needing a battery too for this bike,plus i've been thinking about getting full rego on it.....i cant remember seeing a PE on the road for a LONG time,apart from mine in the 80's ;D
I still haven't rec regoed the RM175 yet either.....but i have sold my VT c/dore,so i'm down to 3 rego's now.
cheers...mario

monaro308

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2012, 04:29:50 pm »
Time for another update......
Bike has been sitting around while i've been getting the RM125T together.
Finally bought a DID o ring chain for it and tidy up a few things on the bike.
Most sticker suppliers sell either the side cover or tank stickers and i'm trying to get the set together.
New globes are yet to be fitted as the usual high beam and tail are blown and will sus them out.
I took a video of its first ride in my back yard and it fires up in a few kicks cold and 1 or 2 hot and idles ok too.
Engine sounds nice and gave me a little surprise at the end of the video  :D
Another PE lives!

monaro308

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2012, 08:07:10 am »
I finally got the chance to see what was under the PE seat cover i got on the PE250T  ;D