Author Topic: Whats the best budget priced shocks?  (Read 12517 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the best budget priced shocks?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 03:53:12 pm »
Hi Paul ,  13.4" with 4" shock travel Classic Ohlins for 73 Maico.
$540+ $52 shipping+ 25 paypal = 617USD

Evolution Vintage Öhlins

mx250

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 03:57:56 pm »
Hi Paul ,  13.4" with 4" shock travel Classic Ohlins for 73 Maico.
$540+ $52 shipping+ 25 paypal = 617USD

Evolution Vintage Öhlins

$A663.280 AUD and declining ;) (I think)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 04:39:48 pm »
While I can't argue the pros and cons of the various names listed so far, I will observe that the range today seems very good. I used to buy various things like Boges and Konis back in the old days and they were OK and reasonably priced. But nothing special. Then I tried S+Ws which seemed better. When I got into VMX, I bought some budget US shocks for about $3-400 from memory. They were terrible and broke very quickly. I tried them again later and wasn't any more impressed. Meanwhile, I'd bought some Technoflex shocks for my RM400N. I don't recall but they were quite expensive, maybe up around $700-1000. But they were brilliant. I now have YSS shocks on my RM125M and their PD valves in the forks and the overall effect is just great. Personally, I'd happily buy them for any pre 78 bike I owned. From the sounds of things, to some extent you get what you pay for.

Sure, some second hand TS185 shocks are probably fine. I've seen guys beat the field on some poxy old bike with leaking stock shocks. But for me, I like the feeling that quality shocks give me. It makes my excruciatingly slow progress around the track much more pleasurable.

So for between $500 and $700, it looks like you have quite a range of excellent quality shocks to choose from. That sounds pretty good to me. From my experience though, I wouldn't buy no-name $150 shocks. I just don't think they offer the comfort, control or longevity of something a little better.

But that's just me...

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 05:17:12 pm »
I was beginning to wonder if I had started this post,cause I was getting the feelin' it was madplugs thread!  ::)
When I said "budget",I should've put my price down on here.What I can afford,is in the $500 range.
Also should've put down that its a 125.
Anyways,thanks for all your replies guys,specially Freaky and Wasp.Everyones replies really eased the confusion I was going through with where I had to start. ;D
Sorry Wasp didn't know you were YSS.I should've looked at the threads in here a bit harder.
Doc,considering your advice.
Although I own DTs,you reckon my 76 DT175 shocks would be a goer on the Husky? ;)
Lastly,thanks to Graeme,thats exactly the feedback I needed. Can't buy info like that. :D
Oh,and I reckon if ever I get an RM400,I'll know which shock to buy,and also the length it should be. ;) ;)

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

firko

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 05:51:06 pm »
Ohlins, YSS and Gazi are all great units, much better than what we had to put up with back in the day. However I may be wrong but I don't think Husk72 was referring to $600 plus shocks when he used the word budget in his original post.

If a real low budget is called for then forget the fancy stuff. eBay or the Swapmeet are the perfect place to find shocks that will not only work well but fit the budget. My first pick is the original cast bodied, finned Works Performance Shocks from the '70s. These shocks can often be found for less than $100 and are easily rebuildable. The best kept secret about them is that they are absolutely identical to the current model $600 version internally. Identical. I bought a couple of second hand sets from Vintage Iron back in the early 90's and I put a kit through them and they've performed admirably over the last 16 years. I only replaced them with a snazzy set of YSS a year or two ago and as I've now moved the YSS over to my B&S TM400, the Works Shocks are going back on the Maico. They only need an oil change and they're good for another 16 years.

Another bargain still found on eBay are Arnacos. Arnacos were way ahead of their time. While not being gas charged, they were among the first to use same valving and design as Ohlins and others picked up on a decade later. They have a 6 way external dampening adjustment and way more preload adjustment than anything before or since. They work really well, with a modern feel but have a problem keeping seals alive. Not that it's much of a problem. Seal kits are being made again in the USA. NOS Arnacos, still in the box still come up on eBay every now and again. I have 4 sets including the set that Walter set up for me on my Hindall Ducati and I just bought a new in box set 12.5'' long for my Benelli flat tracker for $65 on the Swapmeet. You can usually get 'em for around the $150 mark.

Another shock from the pre '75 era that have a modern feel are Curnutts. George Curnutt handmade shocks for desert racers in the '60s and expanded to full time production in the early '70s. I believe the motorcycle side of the company was bought out by Works Performance in the 70's but they're still in operation doing mountain bike shocks. My DT1 from Hell uses Curnutts and they work a treat. I've never pulled them apart but I've been told that they're almost identical to Works Performance inside. I've also been told that Works stocks a rebuild kit for them which would indicate that there are similarities. Curnutts often come up for around $50-$100.

Marzocci piggyback, Koni (especially the finned alloy bodied version or fitted with aftermarket Poppy bodies) and early Fox spring shocks which work well but are a step below the three brands I mention. Whatever you buy you'll have to put a seal kit and oil change into them, even the NOS Arnacos. For the Joe Average pre '75 racer the above shocks are more than capable against the big dollar modern items and.....they look just right for the period, something the late model shocks fall down on.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:03:16 pm by firko »

TT

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 06:07:32 pm »
I second Mark's opinion on Arnacos. I bought a few sets from the U.S. a couple of years ago for under $50.00 a set!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 06:53:16 pm »
I don't know what they are but they aren't standard pe400.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 08:19:07 am »
Fantastic post Mark. ;D.
Awesome pictures.
I reckon those shocks would never go on a bike that I owned,I'd want to keep them in their boxes,too beautiful to put into working order.
Thanks again.

Cheers,Mark.

I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.