Author Topic: pre 90 racing  (Read 9078 times)

Evil Rudy

Re: pre 90 racing
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 06:20:23 pm »
Damo, I've got to get a shipment in... running low but will always share what I have left.

If we can only get Stef to try some again. That was evergreen...

Evil Rudy

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 06:21:23 pm »
And stop typing like snoop dog...

We already have one Tu-Pac, we don't need another.

mainline

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 07:50:29 pm »
I guess in this whole discussion, It really comes down to what is vintage?? 25years or older?? If so that would make everyone on the fourm vintage would it not LOL . Pre90 is not really Vintage is it??

You're spot on, and a 1986 mx'er looks a hell of a lot more like a modern bike than a 1974 mx'er.

I suppose the point I was trying to make is that it's hard enough to get enough people enthused in anything these days, at least long enough that they decide to make an effort and help with the running of things, that any old bike enthusiast should be welcomed.

I don't really see the difference between some who wants to race an old bike, or a really old bike. Like I said, my tastes have changed since I've started and I'm now interested in the older stuff where i wasn't before.

And to those who've been around this sport for a while and put in a shitload of effort to run and promote things, and who aren't particularly interested in the newer stuff, I didn't mean to infer in my original post that things could/should be run better. Well, I sortof did but you guys weren't the ones I was referring to, more the fencesitters who don't help out on the day but have an opinion to offer.

Hope this one doesn't annoy anyone ;D

I think I'll go back to my original stance of not entering into these debates ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:27:12 pm by mainline »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 08:37:23 pm »
Well I just bought a KX today, I think it's an 87.
It's old but I don't really think of it as a classic.
I didn't buy it because it has better suspension, brakes or motor than the older bikes. I did race a few pre 90 bikes in pre 90 but like most things I bought it because it was their tempting me.

I have a lot of older projects to work on including a HL, CZ, Maico, KX 500, 81 XT500 as well as some modern bikes like my 89 Beta or 88 KDX 200.
But they all require lots of time & money thrown at them of which I don't seem to have much of either at the moment. So I'm hoping this KX will just need some basic TLC to get me out with Viper.
Viper should get some entry fees out of me this year which they other wise wouldn't get from my other bikes.

Some of the "older" guys are worried about where the sport is headed & I share there fears, but the bikes need to be out on the track not built up as garage queens or investments that might be devalued if they were ridden.

If you had a 76 model bike but didn't want to ride it unless their was a pre 76 class then staying away from the races won't create a pre 76 class, but 2 grids of pre 78 might.

I think Pre 90 is an acceptable support class but I don't think it's worthy of title status
If you want to get rid of pre 90 then support the earlier classes, be it with yourself or a guest rider. If the day is filled with all the real classics then pre 90 would be the first to go & you would get no complaints from me.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/