Author Topic: vintage iron usa  (Read 10477 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Re: vintage iron usa
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 02:33:20 am »
I need to clarify what I meant in my prevoius statements here.  I was trying to point out that you may not always get the touchy-feely sort of feeling when dealing with Rick, but he has always been helpful to me and I do get my products.

I do feel for the folks who have not revceived their purchases, for whatever reasons.  As for me my experience has always been positive.
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 08:56:15 am »
I see we've got a new member. I think that this is about to get messy..... :-[ ::) :-[

or interesting  ::)
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

TM BILL

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 09:32:50 am »
The new member apparantly tried to join the forum earlier but apparantly somone in his organisation dispatched the wrong application  ::)
Then it got lost in the post  ::)
And wouldn't you know it the cost of posting it doubled overnight  ;D
But alls well now  ;)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 10:21:44 am »
I for one am very interested in seeing what our latest member may have to contribute...

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 10:38:38 am »
40246 Posts in 4284 Topics by 630 Members. Latest Member: Rick Doughty
Latest Post: "Re: vintage iron usa" ( Today at 10:21:44 AM )

Rick Doughty

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 11:22:26 am »
I am not really sure where to start shoveling here but I think a good place would be to introduce myself. I am Rick Doughty, owner of the "still very much in business", VINTAGE IRON. I use my real name for several reasons but not the least of which is that I take what I do for a living very seriously. It is how I feed my family. Secondly, I have enough spine not to require an alas to hide behind.
I will address whatever problem someone has with our company in this forum or privately provided that you use your real name as well.
What I will not do is endlessly defend myself or my business to those who can't step out of the shadows to throw rocks my direction.
Our company is far from perfect and from time to time we stub our toe or just flat screw up. In my way of thinking it is not whether a company is going to make mistakes but more importantly how the mistakes are rectified and handled. We do our level best to fix whatever is fixable when it needs fixing.
We were the first company to sell product in Australia and had a fairly successful distributor in Soft Earth that was run by Geoff Eldridge before his untimely death. In the past 15 years there has been many other start up businesses that specialize in one brand or another and the competition is good for business and good for consumers. Does the fact that there are now more vintage oriented business, diminish our accomplishments or past service? Not in my book. Fact is we are doing more business in 2008 than any previous year. Does that mean we are sitting back on a big pile of money? Not hardly. Look at the state of the US economy. We are cautiously optimistic about the future but plan for the worst, which is why we are downsizing the shop for the next three years.
As for my perceived arrogance while attending Australia's first vintage national back in '93 (I think) at Dargle, I would have to say that I was a guest of ADB but I spent my own money to come to the event and worked along side Geoff Eldridge to help that come together. Hell I remember sitting in his shop building the wood block trophies. To characterize the ADB pits as a tightly held compound occupied by elitists is absolute hog wash. Geoff was not like that at all and I certainly had nothing to do with the pit area. Remember I was a guest. My guess is that the person that had a problem with that situation was probably not a confident enough personality to walk up and say hello and it is easier to blame someone else than it is to admit your own shortcomings. Limp wristed handshake? Now there is something that I have never been accused of...
Lastly, I know that many read the things that Mark Firkin writes and probably enjoy his style. That is fine but a good writer does not an honest person make. My family and I opened our home to Mark while he was on holiday in California back in the 90's. I don't remember know if it was a full two weeks but as I recall it was. He used my shop to dismantle bikes he had purchased, ate our food and destroyed my sons bed from his excessive girth during his visit. All of that was forgivable and forgettable. Giving us a credit card that was no good for parts he took from our shop after sucking up our hospitality was a different story. Never making good on the debt to people that were supposed to be friends. That was more than I could forgive or forget.
For him to now warn others away from VINTAGE IRON is simply ridiculous and extremely unethical. One would have to ask themselves why he would go out of his way to do so if he didn't have his own agenda.
Again, I will address whatever problem someone has in this forum or privately provided you don't hide behind a silly CB handle.
I have been up for 16 hours moving and this was the last thing I wanted to do today but our name and the Australian market made it important enough.
Cheers,
Rick Doughty/VINTAGE IRON

666 SOS

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 12:02:22 pm »
Good to hear from you rick and to hear your side of things as i havnt dealt with you i have
sat back a watched this thread but there is always two sides to the story.

welcome
                                                      Anthony Plumbridge

mx250

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 12:09:05 pm »
Nice levelheaded response Rick 8). I hope it allays fears, concerns, etc etc.

I enjoyed your interview 8)

http://www.mccookracing.com/interviews/rickDoughty.htm

and identified with you from been an 'army brat' with the life of Tom Sawyer with mates on an army base and a Dad you could look up to, through to having an AT1 ::) complete with an electric starter ;D, as a first race bike and dealing with Commitees and power junkies with allien agendas ::) ;D.

Having investments I even agree with your observation on the economy and your startergies, I'm doing simlar. Good luck.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 12:32:21 pm »
There ya go. Rick has actually made the effort to put his position forward via this forum, which is not bad in my book. I can't comment on other people's dealings with Vintage Iron nor their experiences with the man himself, but from what I've seen he's played a big role in Vintage in the US. And I am impressed he'd go to the effort of responding here and in such a reasonable manner. Clearly he and Firko aren't fond of each other, so I can only ask that they both don't get involved in a slanging match over this.

firko

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 02:38:46 pm »
Great. With respect Graeme, I will respond and then return to the shed.
 Rick and I were indeed good friends and I have positive good memories of my time at his house. I was in awe of his restoration abilities (and still am) and amazing knowledge and love of the sport and was eternally grateful for his kindness and hospitality (still am). I enjoyed his company and that of his lovely wife Karen and his boys. We parted as friends, but unfortunately six years later I was placed in a difficult position by Rick where I was the innocent man in the middle in a business dispute between two friends. On the one side, my dear friend Ray Ryan and VMX magazine and on the other side, my friend Rick Doughty. Being friends with both men put me in an extremely uncomfortable position and when I told Rick that I didn't want to be involved and was not interested in hearing either parties version of the dispute (I also told Ray the very same thing.)he became quite agitated and started acusing me of disloyalty. Ray on the other hand respected my wish to stay right out of it despite offering to give his version of the situation. To this day I have no inkling of what the dispute was about and still don't want to know. Mr Doughty however saw my action as taking sides against him and as they say "the shit then hit the fan".

Remember now that I'd stayed at the Doughty home in 1995 and this situation didn't arise until 1999 or perhaps 2000 (I'm a little shaky on the dates but let's say five years had intervened). During that five year period, not once was the situation of my card supposedly bouncing arise and not once was it mentioned that I'd trashed his sons bed. I would have thought that my "bouncing" card would have become apparent over the following five weeks I travelled in the USA.
Upon my return I sent Ricks lads a couple of books on Austalia and Rick and I continued our friendship by phone and later email as if nothing had occured.

He used my shop to dismantle bikes he had purchased
That didn't happen. Sure I used a small corner to store the packing case for the bare Metisse frame and WP shocksI bought from Vintage Iron and some other minor parts purchased from local Fresno shops. There was no dismantling. I also used his shop to weld up a cracked steering head on his Metisse, help dispatch orders after he fired the warehouse guy while I was there. I also used his shop to help Bill West his shop foreman to finish a Triumph for a customer and help prep Ricks Road racers for a meet in Las Vegas. I also helped him to transport his trucks and equipment from Bakersfield back to Fresno after his roofing business had ended. I was also the only person besides family there to offer support to an obviously upset Rick. He seems to have forgotten those details.

During my time in Fresno I also got to know a good cross section of local racers and it surprised me to find myself in the situation of having to continuously defend Rick to people and couldn't understand why he was so disliked by other bike people. I couldn't see why at the time but after he turned on me it all came into focus.

Now..Maybe I have been a little theatrical in a quest to make a point in my writings about Mr Doughty and he's perfectly within his rights to defend himself. I am however reflecting the many, many situations that have been brought to my attention over the years concerning items not recieved, even items for myself, purchased through a friend took months to arrive and it was not quite what I'd (He'd) ordered. Emails were repeatedly ignored and after two phonecalls at my friends expense (reimbursed by me) a conclusion was arrived at. None of this bitterness would ever happened however if Rick would have accepted my wish for neutrality and his unfairly expecting me to take sides. The shouting me down over the phone and bringing up a supposed credit card debt five years after the fact just added salt to the wounds. If we were really such good friends he would have respected that wish. He may also have forgotten that I didn't write for VMX at the time due to a conflict of interest so I had no bias either way. I just wanted to stay friends with both but he made that impossible. As far as my other points in regard to Mr Doughty, I won't go through each one individually because it only adds fuel to the fire. Let it just be said that I don't back away from any of them.

I'm out of this now. I've made my point and Rick his. If I was the only critic out there, there may be good reason to accuse me of being unreasonable but I'm only one voice in a sea of VI critics as a perusal of American VMX forums will attest to. It's a shame this situation has eventuated but I didn't start it. I genuinely liked, respected and defended  Rick until he turned on me. That's the thing that hurts me the most.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 04:31:51 pm »
As my dear old mum always says...."If you don't have anything good to say about someone it's best you say nothing at all" as you could find yourself having a babble with your foot in your own mouth... ::)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:36:56 pm by E74 »

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 05:06:44 pm »
I think it's about time to end this one.

firko

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »
You've got my vote. No more from me. Unloading all of this baggage has sucked the soul out of me.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:00:13 pm by firko »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 06:18:35 pm »
i guess i will just have to try again  ???
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022