Author Topic: vintage iron usa  (Read 10478 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: vintage iron usa
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 05:53:04 pm »
thats what you would think YSS but i just dont know? to be honest i find this very sad. it becomming all too common now. i do not know why soooooooo many USA companies have brilliant website, and parts and promise everything. but then some people get burned by them and some get excellent service with no complaints.

i dont really have anything bad to say about them, i would just like my simple email answered or even a email saying. 'sorry we are busy will get back to you next week' as i said before i bought some parts from them a few years back with no problems but then a year or so later i bought a air filter off them and its was totally wrong. i did ask what happened, got not reply so i just thought stuff it its just an air filter and forgot about it.

so i havent got anything bad to say at the moment
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:43:46 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline FDR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 06:02:31 pm »
Rick did eventually send e-mail regarding order i placed, he did apologise for not responding earlier and promised item would be sent within a week.

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 09:25:41 pm »
Rick D sent me some pics of his trick RD. if he came down on the postage I'd be tempted to buy a bit of his gear.

WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

husky61

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 01:56:59 pm »
We have used Rick at Vintage iron on five occasions and had five good results.

Number six is on its way ,

Example:

Requested for a quotation on Expansion chamber Monday evening , received quotation Tuesday morning with notification that the expansion chamber was in stock.

Paid for item Tuesday evening , confirmation of shipment Wednesday morning.

This has been same for the previous orders.

YSS

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 02:15:58 pm »
You must be a  good , sincere ,paying  customer , perhaps thats why you get  good  old fashioned service  ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:38:24 pm by YSS »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 04:47:31 pm »
ok i just sent a VERY polite (not that i wasnt very polite last time) email asking for a price on some parts he says hes got but are not listed in the shop yet where i can just click add to cart, and how much for airmail shipping and how to pay for them. nothing too difficult to do. i hope i get a reply this time
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:49:20 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

firko

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 08:17:38 pm »
The ad below is in the current Orange County Craiglist. That may explain his poor phone returns.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/829274356.html
VINTAGE IRON moving Saturday Sept. 6th 8am-1pm
Big discounts and virtually everything in the store!
Parts, bikes, memorabilia, fixtures and more.
22605 La Palma Av. #519 Yorba Linda Ca. 92887   

I've also heard that his bikes in the Primm Collection in Las Vegas are also on the market.
http://www.primmmxcollection.com/

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:20:57 pm by firko »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 08:28:05 pm »
yeah i still got no response.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:19:36 pm by LWC3077 »

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 06:51:49 am »
Update
My last order was short shipped, items invoiced and charged but not delivered. It freaks me out. I phoned RICK, he was full of excuses and blamed everybody else. I returned from the USA tonight and by in large the feelings are that Vintage Iron has immenent financial problems. I have left another message for Rick to phone me. Todate and notwithstanding my spend, he has not returned my calls.
Old and slow - and happy

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 07:15:59 am »
I firmly believe in the big wheel theory... life is like a really big wheel, dump crap on it and it eventually comes round to you again, I recon they are probably reaping some of the crap they have deposited...
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 02:31:02 am »
I saw both Rick from Vintage Iron and Tony from Vintage Suzuki this weekend at the AHRMA Glen Helen National. 

Rick is walking towards me and I say, "Hey thanks for sending my that vintage Yamaha jersey so quickly!"  He just nods his head and says, "Oh, ya."  Everytime I see him he has the same look on his face, it's not happy or sad just kinda blank.  That's just his personality.

I'm sitting on the starting line for my moto and Tony yells out, "Are you Jay?"  I say, "Yes" and he comes over and introduces himself.  He say, "Thanks for all the business!" and I say, "Thank you for supplying all the stuff, shipping out so quickly and having good communication!"

Two totally different people, but I have received all the products I ordered from both of them.  I did have to wait two months for some fork springs from Rick once.

I hope everything works out for you.  How was Rick when you talked to him on the phone?
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 05:10:04 am »
T Red
It is always interesting to hear how service levels differ by the same organisation. Earlier today Rick received an email from a friend of mine, who incidentally was referred by me to Rick by me, his first experience with Rick was to get short shipped on a set of spokes. My mate was charged for them and and then seemingly had excessive postage charges charged to him. Almost all the South Africans who have dealt with Vintage iron lamment the fact that goods charged for are not sent. The sentiment to Vintage Iron has turned very negative with most South africans directing their spend to where they perceive the service standards to be better and are likely to receive a full shipment of paid for goods.

It pisses me off because his products are good and his knowledge is good. However I vote with my feet and was referred to AMS Racing -David Boysun. AMS service is first class and they  have a friendly disposition. Your vote of approval for Tony Boswell will act as the catalyst for me to try Vintage Suzuki for my Suzuki needs.
Good luck
Old and slow - and happy

Phil

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 02:01:29 pm »
There's a good interview with Rick Doughty on http://www.mccookracing.com/interviews/rickDoughty.htm. It gives a pretty good insight into his work within the AHRMA system but leaves out a lot of detail about the business itself.
There's also a good piece on CD6 by Firko and a review of Klub Kevlar. There's even a photo of Magoo and his lowered road racing CR500!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:05:44 pm by Old Phil »

Nigel Hollingsworth

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 01:03:25 pm »
Mr. Doughty has been fair with my dealings so far. I noticed an interview with him on McCook's site: www.McCookRacing.com . He even has some NOS Saipan bits.

Cheers,
Nigel
Farlowe Racing LTD

Offline FDR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 05:14:44 pm »
After a few hassles i received parts ordered 6 weeks ago, high quality stuff with an apology from Rick.
Back in favour.