Author Topic: flat slide vs round  (Read 9022 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: flat slide vs round
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 06:45:16 AM »
The reason he loves Dellortos is that he has a pallet of Dellorto needles & seats that he needs to use up .... before lunchtime.

:D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 07:53:06 AM »
The reason he loves Dellortos is that he has a pallet of Dellorto needles & seats that he needs to use up .... before lunchtime.

;D ;D ;D
Everything must go..........Lozza's gone madder sale..........my birthday but you get the presents..................

What would make you run one of the Dellortos in place of a Keihin PWK Airstriker on a big bore 2 stroke?

tunability of a Keihin is not in the same league as a Dellorto 
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 10:06:01 AM »
I love Bings, Yes they are harder to get right and Yes when they wear there not good. The good bits nothing makes as much power as a Bing and the throttle is light easy action.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »
Never tried A dellofto on a 2 stroke, but its the way To go on a 4 stroke for sure

Offline davidmc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »
Dellorto on 2 strokes make power, as do Bings!

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »

LOL.

On the 2 Strokes Downunder 380 KTM/Cagiva project Lozza is singing the praises of a power jet modified PWK.

If you love it, lube it.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
That was a long while a ago and thinking of swapping to a VHSB, plus I had several PWK's lying around  :D Keihin are good, mikuni  better , Dellorto much much better.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:51:30 PM by Lozza »

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »
I cannot see how one carb can make more power than another, sure one may have better component supplies but they all have similar circuits .... pilot jet, pilot air bleed, slide cutaway, needle, main jet, main air jet.  Sure flat slides increase pulse strength at part throttle but they would ALL flow the same at WFO ..... I think you guys are jerking us off  ;-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
John think    real MiKuni   vs  Chinese copy muckuni   looky same....but no goee same  not even a wide FkN open. :)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 10:51:08 PM »
I cannot see how one carb can make more power than another, sure one may have better component supplies but they all have similar circuits .... pilot jet, pilot air bleed, slide cutaway, needle, main jet, main air jet.  Sure flat slides increase pulse strength at part throttle but they would ALL flow the same at WFO ..... I think you guys are jerking us off  ;-)

Not really Mikuni and Keihin are tuned with the main jet ,Dellorto's(maybe Bings ???) and Lectrons are tuned via the needle not so much the main jet. A VHSB dellorto has a pilot to needle transition jet/ atomiser and a needle to main jet transition jet and atomiser

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »
I don't doubt the Dellorto is an effective carby, but gee, weight of numbers OE and aftermarket and anecdotal reports give the PWK, PWK Air Striker high marks.

From Google sourced images of Dellorto VHSB34's the internal layout of the carb shows Mikuni/Keihin similar pilot and main circuits with air bleeds/ emulsifier holes on the pilot and main circuit brass ware. I cannot see any obvious design differences to the Jap units.

The Dellorto's slide guide arrangement looks like a conversion of a round type rather than the more sophisticated, to my eye a least, dedicated Keihin design.

If you love it, lube it.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »
I guess it doesn't really matter whether the needle or the main jet is metering fuel at a given opening, as long as the air/fuel ratio is correct at any slide opening/rpm.

Having air bleeds ensures the chance of correcting the fuel curve for all rpm's, so, if a given bore size venturi is giving the selected air/fuel at all of its adjustable areas, then they must all make the same power?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
I don't doubt the Dellorto is an effective carby, but gee, weight of numbers OE and aftermarket and anecdotal reports give the PWK, PWK Air Striker high marks.

From Google sourced images of Dellorto VHSB34's the internal layout of the carb shows Mikuni/Keihin similar pilot and main circuits with air bleeds/ emulsifier holes on the pilot and main circuit brass ware. I cannot see any obvious design differences to the Jap units.

The Dellorto's slide guide arrangement looks like a conversion of a round type rather than the more sophisticated, to my eye a least, dedicated Keihin design.

All those Guzzi's Ducati's Aprillia's Cagiva's and a long line of scooters don't count? Dellorto is a needle carburetor not a main jet depending on set up normaly with a Dellorto the main jet only becomes dominant at around 90% throttle. There is the difference. Just have learn how to use that to your advantage.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
Quote from: Lozza
All those Guzzi's Ducati's Aprillia's Cagiva's and a long line of scooters don't count? Dellorto is a needle carburetor not a main jet depending on set up normaly with a Dellorto the main jet only becomes dominant at around 90% throttle. There is the difference. Just have learn how to use that to your advantage.

I found a decent scale parts diagram in english which was helpful; it showed the separate air bleed and emulsion parts of the pilot and main circuit. I can imagine that the variable, by replacement, main jet 'atomiser' secondary venturi thing when optimised could make for a better mixture preparation than the simple annulus of the Keihin/Mikuni

When I used to play hot up with Alfa Romeo 4 cylinder engines many of these came with Dellortos, and some with Webers. It was reckoned that the Dellortos worked slightly better at part throttle and in transient situations. Slight differences in design resulting in more complete atomisation of the fuel was the reason.
If you love it, lube it.