Author Topic: Proper passing?  (Read 11170 times)

mainline

Re: Proper passing?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 09:14:08 PM »
I think you pretty much nailed it there Geoff.

If you're genuinely faster than the guy in front, you should be able to get past cleanly.

If you're racing with someone who's actually up to the challenge ie. you're swapping back and forth every lap with someone of similar speed and skill, then a bit of elbow or whatever shouldn't be a prob.

If you feel the need to take out the front wheel of some poor guy who's toodling around the track, or yell at him as you pass, then you're a friggin idiot.

As far as "block-passing" is concerned, from what I understand, the idea is to take away the oponent's line and make them slow/stop, not take out their front wheel.

mc 61

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »
People can change attitude once they get behind the bars, i have seen "Dr Jeckle" turn into "Mr Hyde" many times when the adrenaline flows. i agree that this should not happen at a ride day, unfortunately it does and always will. thankfully its only a minority.

at CD7 i took the Suzuki's for test rides. almost immediately after Belly gave the talk about taking it easy out there and being courteous to others, its not a race, etc, etc i was out riding the suzuki and heard some drop punt yelling and screaming from behind me for 3 or 4 corners on the tight section over the back.

he finally passed me (cleanly i might add) and i thought who is that forkwit only to find out it was well known ex high level pro rider. i lost a lot of respect for him then and there, in fact i was so pissed by his attitude i want to confront him about it, once back in the pits i cooled down and brushed it off as adrenaline fuelled bullshit and not worth the time.

could see the smoke coming out of your ears hoony.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »

If you feel the need to take out the front wheel of some poor guy who's toodling around the track, or yell at him as you pass, then you're a friggin idiot.

As far as "block-passing" is concerned, from what I understand, the idea is to take away the oponent's line and make them slow/stop, not take out their front wheel.

Totally agree,
Except….
Sometimes the yelling is to make the guy in front aware that your there.
I remember being stuck behind a guy in an Enduro once, yelled at him for miles on end so I could get past.
Found out later he was deaf ::)
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 10:24:43 PM »
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 03:52:57 AM »
...  behind a guy in an Enduro once, yelled at him for miles on end so I could get past.

"Deaf" Ken???
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

All Things 414

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 06:31:24 AM »

That's exactly what it's about. Not taking out their front wheel. Just being in their way when they come out of the corner. They either have to a: slow down or b: change their line.
There's not a lot of other avenues to pass someone who's only going a fraction slower than you! You'll never pass on a straight. If he's braking as well as you he can't be out-braked and you're never gunna get under/around him without a good chance of collecting him. 
"It's not in the spirit of VMX!" I hear you wail.
No.
It's in the spirit of racing....... ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:34:32 AM by All Things 414 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 07:27:52 AM »
Hey Rossco, look forward to some more of that "rubbing is racing" at Wandering and Narrogin, if you can keep up that is!!!

I guess there is always a difference between passing some guy slower, which will happen soon enough and having some prick blocking you out on purpose in a misguided idea that is within the rules of engagement.

Seems like the moderns will do a lot of blocking for no special reason, then it is all on if they know you are there.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:42 AM »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »
Richard Alistair....legend.  ;D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 12:16:24 PM »
he finally passed me (cleanly i might add) and i thought who is that forkwit only to find out it was well known ex high level pro rider. i lost a lot of respect for him then and there,

Ah just some has been trying to relive his glory years, did he end up winning CD7. ?

The road race circuit track days are worse and far more entertaining because of it. Nothing like the grind of shredded carbon fibre and the pretty sparks off the Titanium as this years Hyper sports goes down.  :o

formerly Marc.com

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 08:36:54 PM »
Mike - just for my benefit - what was that you were saying about keeping up at Narrogin???

:D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 08:56:56 PM »
...  behind a guy in an Enduro once, yelled at him for miles on end so I could get past.
"Deaf" Ken???
Had a mate at Redcliffe who used to trail ride with us and did a few enduro,s too.
He was deaf and his name was KEN and he moved to Vic. I wonder ???   We could never understand how he rode without hearing the motor but he did. You could hear him coming for miles.
All credit to him but he was hard to pass too.
Mike
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:26:07 PM by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.