Author Topic: What is your definition of VINTAGE?  (Read 12507 times)

STW996

Re: What is your definition of VINTAGE?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
Im with Firko, Vintage to me is pre 75, golden years would be pre 78 and Evo and Post classic is pre 85. Pre 90 well I am not touching that even if I do ride one!

It is the usual story it is hard to get numbers of the old(er) bikes to club meetings so that is where pre 85 and pre 90 come in. Having said that I think you will see a field of 40+ pre 85 500's at the nationals and of that, 20 really quick one's and that will be something to see and I am sure everone present will watch ;)

Shane

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:53:18 PM by STW996 »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 03:53:55 PM »
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=4880.0

this has been discussed a bit already here aswelll
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 04:13:33 PM »
Anything old - like me lol!

The old bike guys used to regard

veteran - pre 1930's

vintage - 1930's to 1950's

classic - sort of a free range of 50's and 60's (so guess I'm classic)

To complicate things even more my 1974 Ducati 750SS is a classic - my head hurts !

Time frames have to shift just like some race classes but for my money I see nothing wrong with an all encompassing pre 85 is "vintage" and after that it's moderns cos we don't need all that veteran, vintage, classic crap. Old bikes are old bikes - why make it as complicated as am MA manual!

The 'KISS' principle

Dave Mac  ;D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 06:34:55 PM »
   http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=1479.0
I will take it you mean to answer vintage me is "pre '75"

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 07:06:38 PM »
Watching the rapid changes in the media delivery arena gives me cause for concern. It seems that newspapers as we know them, are on the way out, for example. Hopefully not in my lifetime,however I wouldn't be surprised. This has me thinking of the 'definition the vintage'. I would like to believe that the passion we see today won't let the "Old" classes die out. I don't like to really admit it, but maybe, just maybe Pre-90 can be seen as the end of evolutionary line. Much happened in the development of bikes between 1980 and 1990,as it did between 1970 and 1980 etc, but for me anyway, a Pre-2000 class won't hold many surprises  and besides that it just sounds plain wrong. Hopefully there is a hardy bunch of souls ,or sentimental old fools, to keep the  flame alive  - just for the sights,sounds and smells should be enough.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 07:35:34 PM »
Anything up to evo, after that they just obsolete motocross bikes........and I'm from the pre85/90 era.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »
   http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=1479.0
I will take it you mean to answer vintage me is "pre '75"

No, 
I posted the link up so people can re-read what has been said on the subject, and also if some(posters') have changed their minds.
I personally like the idea of 'vintage' being ''Twin shocked'' motocross bikes. 2 shocks on a motocross bike is starting to become rare in these modern days. For what its worth, I think that Suzuki started off the modern suspension system as we know it today with the 1981 RM's, which made 2 shocks dated over-night. Thus, helping Twin-shocked bikes being able to take on the word, "Vintage", under the banner of Vintage Moto-X.
 I'm not saying that all the era's in the twin-shocked periods' are vintage bikes, as I believe what 'Doc' has written in this thread about the different periods within the twin-shock period, except that I would say that the twin-shocked Evo class is "Modern-Vintage". There by show casing the history of moto-cross racing with twin shocks.

You know, maybe it IS time to really get this issue sorted. IF we could agree on the format for VMX for the next decade, how would we go about changing it? I'd be keen to get the debate happening here, and to use 2009 as a time for pounding out the rules to satisfy most, and then see if we can implement for 2010 or 2011. It'd be good to set it in place for 2011 on. If anyone can tell me how we'd do it, I'll start a thread to do the actual discussion. I know it'd be painful, but challenging and ultimately worthwhile. I really want to enshrine VINTAGE and make Pre 85/Pre 90 a formal set of classes that have their own separate and unique identity.

I agree with what Graeme M is saying about the different types/styles of motocross bikes needing definitive periods all under the one name of "Historic Motocross", but broken up into different periods, which would give the linkage suspension bikes a chance to name their own racing/events/meetings/clubs etc, but all under the one big name "Historic Motocross".
The twinshock bikes could race as 'Historic Motocross; Vintage MX' bikes
and the Linkage bikes could race as 'Historic Motocross; Evolution MX' bikes
Both types of racing would have classes within their periods and of cause the Evolution MX could include Pre90/95 classes like "1st Generation linkage", "2nd Generation Linkage" and what ever classes they feel are needed.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 09:17:45 PM by DJRacing »
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

albrid-3

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
we had this discussion in the early 90`s when pre80 wanted more rides, and the meeting got to big for pre75 meeting, and pre 80 had to go on their own and they call themselves viper. pre 90, pre 84 pre80 should be viper,It would be great to cater for all on one day.. but their is not enought daylight. I beleive the cut of dates are all wrong. even though l had a lot to do with the eligiblty rules. But that is a can of worms.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:22:21 PM by albrid-3 »

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »
Like wine- full bodied ,good on the nose and matured. 8)

I am shattered,you have just described me :o

so it is true,I am an old vintage fart ;)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 09:55:07 PM »
road racing pre 62 classic bikes in the early 80s vintage was pre war and older.now i think all bikes pre 65 as vintage and after that to be classic. in our dirt track races we have pre 70 and also (classic &evo combined)
cheers
jim

albrid-3

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 10:27:09 PM »
Sorry mate, their is vetern, vintage, classic, post classic, new era, pre war, this list goes on, and viper. old bikes new bikes, in another 10 years you young fellow will want to add 2000 models.

DR

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 02:34:21 AM »
mmm..just thinking into the future a little but spare a thought for those wishing to create a pre 2005 class. It would have a huge following but sadly there'll be few participants due to the influx of Chinese cheapies that are flat out lasting 20 weeks let alone 20 years!! :D I somehow doubt the Chinese quality will ever improve to the standard of the Jap and Euro bikes but if it did it would price itself out of the market. Why change something that's selling by the squillion even if it is rubbish! :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:36:08 AM by Doc »

albrid-3

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »
Your right doc, it would be a nightmare.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »
I reckon vintage stuff is the really old gear, like Pre-65.  Pre-78 back would be Classic to me.

Racing-wise, I'd say its pretty right down here in Vic.  The tracks pretty much dictate which series you ride.

VCM caters strongly for everything Pre-78 with a stronger focus on the natural terrain stuff.

VIPER is for everything from Pre-78 to Pre-90, majority of tracks are modern style with lots of jumps & berms.  Probably a bit too harsh for the older bikes. 

One thing I reckon VIPER should do is shelve the modern class & replace it with 2-stroke-only.  This would give the Pre-90 guys an extra ride, & let some guys with more modern 2-strokes in the shed (ie, 90s models) have a ride too.  I realise the modern class boosts the takings for the day, but I'd hazard a guess & say this alternative would be really popular.  Just a thought...