Author Topic: What is your definition of VINTAGE?  (Read 12511 times)

firko

Re: What is your definition of VINTAGE?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »
Viper has a Modern class at their meetings???? Tell me it ain't so

All Things 414

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »
It is so and most people seem happy with it. When you're getting a club to lay on a track (ala prepare track), do all the administration, supply flaggies and so on, they appreciate it a whole lot more if their kids can have a blast as well. It also gives these kids exposure to what we do and believe it or not, some of the little buggers respect what we do. Especially when they see an entire grid of pre85/ Evo big bores leave the gate!
There's the added bonus of sending them out first in practise on a wet day to get all the grease off the surface.  :D
I guess it's just another thing we're doing right in Victoria......
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:32:29 AM by All Things 414 »

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 11:37:51 AM »
Viper has a Modern class at their meetings???? Tell me it ain't so

I believe this has always been the case, and for the reasons 414 pointed out, it's a valid call.

It is so and most people seem happy with it. When you're getting a club to lay on a track (ala prepare as well), do all the administration, supply flaggies and so on, they appreciate it a whole lot more if their kids can have a blast as well. It also gives these kids exposure to what we do and believe it or not, some of the little buggers respect what we do. Especially when they see an entire grid of pre85/ Evo big bores leave the gate!
I guess it's just another thing we're doing right in Victoria......

Good point.  I don't have a problem with the moderns per-se, although I do like the idea of a dedicated 2-stroke class with no era restrictions.  Maybe just an extra class....

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »
Hi
I agree with Graeme M and even "The Grand Poobah of Firkoland" , and sooner or later there will need to be a division for a variety of reasons , track suitabilty will be the first one , for me  the cut off will be pre 75 or pre 78 because of the suspension limitations and track conditions ,.
dont let this be an us and them argument , we will all ride vintage bikes, hopefully just on more suitable tracks , I think its safe to say Evos pre85,pre90 onward have the suspension capable of running on any motocross track in Aust, maybe pre 78 as well ,

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 02:21:12 PM »
Viper has a Modern class at their meetings?

I've always understood it as being a concession to the host club (as already pointed out).

It's also a small part of the schedule, they only have three races out of 30+ races on the day. Pre 90 bikes are also allowed to compete in this class.

Tex

albrid-3

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
This is the era that l would like to see put inplace for our cut off dates, they would all have 4 year manufacturing, take out flow on models, if it was manufactured in that year it stays in that era. for example, at present A 1964 greeves mark 1 races in pre 65, if a 1966 model to 67 greeves is eligible to be ridden in pre 65, new way, this would stop flow on models.
pre 78 -77 model to  1974
pre 74 - 73 models to 1970
pre 70 - 69 models to 1966
65 era  to 1962 models only
pre 62 - 1961 model  onwards.

So what do you think of that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:38:07 PM by albrid-3 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 06:19:35 PM »
pre 78 -77 model to  1974
pre 74 - 73 models to 1970
pre 70 - 69 models to 1966
65 era  to 1962 models only
pre 62 - 1961 model  onwards.

nearly --just a bees dick out somewhere-can't quiet see it.  8)
can you make the year groups larger or reshuffle ?,because for the future classing your are going to have go onto 2020 models as well.  :P
cheers
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »
So you haven`t gave me any reason why these era wouldn`t work. I am not interested in 2020.
A bees dick out.???????
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:41:17 PM by albrid-3 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
Definately not saying it wouldn't work, just has to be put to those that would and do write up the rule book.
der I've got it now.I was reading it the wrong way.  ::) sorry.
so it will read----------- pre 78 class would include 77 models to 74........I like it  8)
Interpretations see  :-\
bees dick is saying for a very small thing.

Is anyone else going to comment  ???
cheers
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »
Good one walter, that was funny.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 09:03:51 PM »
The biggest drama is that you'll put everyone with a 1974 model bike, up against the 76 and 77 bikes. This is pointless and unfair (because everyone has bought/built their bikes to fit the current year cut-offs).

What's the point of stopping flow-on models? If its identical/can easily be made identical to an eligible bike, then what is achieved by forcing it into a newer era class? And again, you'd upset a lot of people who bought 'flow-on' bikes because they were legal for a particular era.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »
Ok cool.
Next suggestion anyone  :P
cheers
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »
Yes, that is true, a 74 model would still be competive up against a 77 model, and that would depend on the track, like a nice undulating grass track, both would be equal

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »
my bike transporter ;D ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 10:40:54 PM »
Yes, that is true, a 74 model would still be competive up against a 77 model, and that would depend on the track, like a nice undulating grass track, both would be equal

You're kidding, right?

A 1975 YZ125C will blow the doors off of a 1974 YZ125A (for example). Even on a smooth track, the later bike has more gears, better brakes, more/better power - there's no contest. And the 1977 D model is significantly quicker than the C....
As the owner of all of these bikes, I'm talking from experience.

Even a relatively unchanged 77 CR125 is significantly better than the 74 version.

None of which is to say that a good rider on the older bike wouldn't be faster than an average rider on the newer bike, but c'mon....

Why the desrie to seperate the 74 models out from the class that they've been in since the dawn of time, and that is universally accepted?

Walter:  :D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.