Author Topic: new oring chain  (Read 9341 times)

Offline fireyglen

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
new oring chain
« on: April 04, 2016, 03:08:10 PM »
Do you really have to fit the orings on the joining link its impossible to fit the clip.
Heaven #409

Offline Flipper

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: new oring chain
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 03:27:01 PM »
It is strongly advised to use the O-rings, but if you are trying to squeeze it all together by hand then you might find it challenging.

I assemble all the bits on the chain without the clip, then use a set of multi-grip pliers over the link at each end (beside the pins) to squash it all together so that the clip will fit. The outer link plate does sort of taper-fit onto the pins, and ends up holding itself in place so that you can fit the clip. Don't be too hard on the pressure or it will be over tight compared to the rest of the chain.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 04:24:15 PM »
definitely have to fit the o rings
I use a small nut on edge between the pins and compress with vise grips then slide in the clip..
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »
Use the end of a small ring spanner over the pins, then press with multigrips. It's real easy, or by a $10 plate press specifically for the job from any bike shop. You'll do a lot of swearing doing it the way you are.
K

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:28:34 PM »
I use a very small $2 elcheapo G clamp, the cup on the end fits over the pin,works a treat.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 07:11:31 PM »
you should try it in the bush with the biked balanced on a blackboy and big 1 inch ants stalking us. stuff all tools (pliers and a screw driver) so a lump of quartz was used to bash the plate on....

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »
Leaving off the O-rings from the joiner makes the purchase of the O-ring chain a bit wasteful.
Do you cut your own chain? Do you intend owning motorbikes for the rest of your life? Do you like having the right tool for the job? If yes then shop around for a good chain breaker/ riveter. I think mine was about $150 so not cheap (but I've seen cheaper - I think Ballards Off-road have some) but it is great to use.
Most O-ring and X-ring chains have a shoulder each end of the link sleeve that the ring fits over, so long as you haven't moved the sleeve through the inner plates the rings shouldn't hinder putting on the outer joiner plate, it should only be the snug fit of the plate on the joiner pin. You have to push the plate on evenly to both pins, this is why a small tool makers vice (what I used to use) or one of the various chain tools are good.

Offline fireyglen

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »
Job done the little nut and vicegrips trick did the trick.thanks.
Heaven #409

maxvmx

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:18:24 PM »
Call me old school but O-ring chains are pointless, if you can stretch a standard heavy duty chain in one race why glorify the pain by spending more on a O-ring one. If you are doing long runs on touring bikes then I can understand it but on high maintenance MX or enduro bikes what would be the point?

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 07:27:33 PM »
I decided when o rings came out in the early 80's to fit one to my new kdx 250. I rode it a bit, adjusted it up a tad then went to the corner inlet enduro. ol mate on the new dx200 said "don't waste your money on those chains just get a good quality normal chain" he spent ~$50 against my $110 or so. my o ring chain was still on the bike when I sold it the following year.
old mate had to buy another chain after the corner inlet event and a set of sprockets and had to replace them all again  two events later when he finally bought an o ring chain. "best thing since sliced bread " he told everyone after that...if a chain is going to be subjected to mud and or sand, get an o ring and your sprockets will last as long as the chain. the pins don't wear, the chain don't stretch and the sprockets don't hook. shimples....

Offline Daryl Jones

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Old Bike World
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »
I decided when o rings came out in the early 80's to fit one to my new kdx 250. I rode it a bit, adjusted it up a tad then went to the corner inlet enduro. ol mate on the new dx200 said "don't waste your money on those chains just get a good quality normal chain" he spent ~$50 against my $110 or so. my o ring chain was still on the bike when I sold it the following year.
old mate had to buy another chain after the corner inlet event and a set of sprockets and had to replace them all again  two events later when he finally bought an o ring chain. "best thing since sliced bread " he told everyone after that...if a chain is going to be subjected to mud and or sand, get an o ring and your sprockets will last as long as the chain. the pins don't wear, the chain don't stretch and the sprockets don't hook. shimples....

Ditto!
Life's too short not to try to do Everything.

"First they tell you you're wrong, and they can prove it.
Then they tell you you're right, but it's not important.
Then they tell you it is important, but they knew it all along."
Charles Kettering.

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 08:07:53 PM »

Agreed John, I can only relate the story of my 1995 KTM620, it came with a DID X ring chain not long after they were released, I replaced it after 16,000 (sixteen thousand) kilometres not because it was worn out, more for insurance due to the remote rides I was doing, with another X ring chain of course! The chain I took off then served duty on my son's DR250 for several years, they are infinitely better than non o'ring heavy duty chains, you will never convince me otherwise.
Tony.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 08:26:56 PM »
Used quality non-O-ring chain until about five years ago, went through the constant crap of washing and boiling in grease (yep I still had a tin  of chain grease from the sixties  :o)  and of course adjusting after every ride and  putting up with worn out and hooked sprockets.
Always thought to myself those fools with O-ring chains are giving away horsepower.
Was really really wrong about O-ring chain.
Got one of these from flea Bay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DID-520-VT-Gold-X-Ring-Narrow-Chain-suit-MX-Enduro-CRF250-450-KTM-SX250-EXC450/182062631311?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3D8296cf16d15d4ec782db23792c99254e%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D171734210694
So good they are almost "set and forget"
And sprockets seem to last and last

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:38:25 PM »
So an O-ring chain is slightly heavier, and has slightly more drag.
Compared to the frictional losses of motor, clutch, gearbox, chain-onto-sprocket-teeth, wheel bearings, brake drag, etc, and the weight of all the rotational and non-rotational parts... Let's just say that if anyone says they can feel the difference between a plain chain and an O-rig one, I will call them a liar to their face.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »
Small Bores Nathan thats where you WILL feel the difference.
Yeah good things O and X ring chains but they do come at a cost and they do have a bit more drag. there have been a few innovations over the years like Alloy sprockets and even nylon sprockets and they have their uses and their failings.

I run a 428 chain on my fun bike instead of the 520 and it does stretch but it gives the relatively low powered thing a little more edge. The smaller the HP and the more friction means theres just that little bit you dont have over your mate running the same but with less friction. Could make al the difference if a sheep station is involved.