Author Topic: new oring chain  (Read 9359 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: new oring chain
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »
I hate non o-ring chains. Australia post/Honda refuse supply or allow o-ring chains for the NBC110. Have to fit OEM non o-ring chain that are pretty crap. Stretches and needs constant adjustment EVERY 2 weeks and they wear out very quick. For the old CT110's they did supply and allow fitment of DID O-ring chains and they were pretty much set and forget and did not need constant adjustment and lasted much longer. The new NBC110's are quite cheap and nasty to be honest. Lots of Indonesian made parts not the same build quality as the old CT110.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 10:31:14 AM »
Small Bores Nathan thats where you WILL feel the difference.
Yeah good things O and X ring chains but they do come at a cost and they do have a bit more drag. there have been a few innovations over the years like Alloy sprockets and even nylon sprockets and they have their uses and their failings.

I run a 428 chain on my fun bike instead of the 520 and it does stretch but it gives the relatively low powered thing a little more edge. The smaller the HP and the more friction means theres just that little bit you dont have over your mate running the same but with less friction. Could make al the difference if a sheep station is involved.

I know smaller-capacity road race guys can see the difference between a 428 and a 520, usually in terms of a few kph extra at the end of the straight.

But noticing the weight difference between a 520 O-ring vs a 520 plain in the dirt? Nup.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »
the 400husky I bought in 2011 and started riding 2012 still had (I rekon) the std o ring chain on it. I still have it on after 3years and are looking at replacing this year. I haven't adjusted the chain.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 12:19:16 PM »
Yes your old school. try one you will be surprised. i to will never run a non o ring EVER again for the before mentioned reasons. the horse power loss (if any) is not an issue in the dirt world it all comes down to rider anyway, unlike road racing where deep pockets and loads of cash = results.

Call me old school but O-ring chains are pointless, if you can stretch a standard heavy duty chain in one race why glorify the pain by spending more on a O-ring one. If you are doing long runs on touring bikes then I can understand it but on high maintenance MX or enduro bikes what would be the point?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 02:57:46 PM »

I know smaller-capacity road race guys can see the difference between a 428 and a 520, usually in terms of a few kph extra at the end of the straight.

But noticing the weight difference between a 520 O-ring vs a 520 plain in the dirt? Nup.

Aprilia RSW 250  has a very expensive ($500) and special Regina 415 chain with extra wide side plates. On an Aprilia RS 125 road bike a 520 feels like a dragging handbrake compared to a 415. The O or X  ring is worth the extra in off road.
Jesus only loves two strokes

maxvmx

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 03:15:24 PM »
Please forgive my comment, I'll bob up when I have something learned to add

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 05:10:31 PM »
I dont think anyone was having a go Drums'n fins, more trying to provide an insight.  Does a chain stretch or does dirt get into the rollers and wear the chain?

Just asking because I dont know.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »
dirt wears the pins and bushes allowing the chain pitch to increase. this wears the sprockets more at the top and hooks them over. get an old std chain and lay it out on concrete. pull it along by the end and mark the position of the ends. then push 1 end gently back toward the other end keeping it all straight. it will shorten by a cm or two as the pin wear is pushed back on it self. o rings don't do this. the rollers wear through and fly off, the pins become partially seized, but the pins never stretch. your sprockets stay in shape till the teeth wear through

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 07:00:03 PM »

No, nobody's having a swing at you drums'n fins but there is a lot of warm air around about this and O rings on a dirt bike are definitely the way to go, almost set 'em and forget 'em. The utterly and absolutely miniscule hp drag of an O ring is way more than offset by the longevity and reliability of the chain.
In fact it is much more important that your countershaft sprocket is bigger than 14 teeth, any smaller and you are throwing hp out the window trying to turn the chain through a too-tight curve.  8)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »

no having a go mate, just lending my take on it with my sense of humour hence
 the old school bit.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 07:49:58 PM »
I lube my o ring chain before every race , I rather use a bit of crc or wd 40 to stop some drag
I don't like the real sticker lube makes the dirt stick more and acts like a grinding paste.
You can notice just pushing a bike with a o ring and spinning the back wheel on a stand .
Just buy two bobs .

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
dirt wears the pins and bushes allowing the chain pitch to increase. this wears the sprockets more at the top and hooks them over

What, like this ?  ;D

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 08:11:01 PM »
dirt wears the pins and bushes allowing the chain pitch to increase. this wears the sprockets more at the top and hooks them over

What, like this ?  ;D

;D that's fine Geoff just keep
The chain real tight and it won't slip  :o
I Have seen some guys over in nz turn the sprocket around the other way when the teeth start laying
over . But then they snap off , looks like this pic hes tryed to get his money worth out of that sprocket  ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:16:05 PM by mick25 »

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »
I am one of the believers in not lubing my chain on race day - but well and truly lubed before the day - doing it on race day just opens up the grinding paste argument.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 10:30:07 PM »
is not an issue in the dirt world it all comes down to rider anyway, unlike road racing where deep pockets and loads of cash = results.

They don't ride themselves around the track  :D
Jesus only loves two strokes