Author Topic: 79 CR250 Front End Conversion  (Read 68527 times)

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 79 CR250 Front End Conversion
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »
I agree on the age comment.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 07, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
Clarification, I agree that age groups should remain in Evo.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2014, 02:12:59 PM »
Ok, I'll join the pedantic few. Tapered bars are indeed a performance enhancing component regardless of what anyone says, as are MOST of the equipment we fit to our VMX bikes. I personally hate them & think they should be refused but that's my opinion and I'm not all bent up over it. The argument Ted is putting forward is that CR480 forks are a performance enhancement, maybe they are, maybe not so I'll argue the point to the extent of the pragmatic few on here. Tapered bars not allowed on that rationale. Stupid, stupid, fork*ING stupid, but an arguable point with absolutely no benefit to anyone but my own personal agenda.
Marks list is simple, but the simpler drum brake, air cooled, non linkage basics say it all anyway. I'm one for RC style big bore Honda's (I have one but have no desire to race it). I remember the phone call from a "concerned" person when it was just an idea in my head bleating that I wouldn't be able to ride it in VIPER. They SHOULD be evo legal IMO and are vastly different to the Dutch twin shocks. The fear mongering alluding to such bikes is utter BS. No-one is going to do that here, or fit an XR400 engine to a '79 CR frame or the like & turn up at a vintage meeting, get real.
K
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:08:39 PM by bigk »

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 07, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
It is interesting that people think if something has been used on a bike for a while it is now legit.  There are any number of components on bikes that could be challenged and possible found to be in-eligible.

Here are some examples:-

1.  Most billet parts
2.  Modern Flat Slide carbies
3.  Modern taper handle bars etc
4.  Anything other than the standard parts (foot pegs, exhaust pipes and mufflers, wheels and hubs.  Non standard alloy tanks etc, etc, etc.

5.  Even the shocks we use should be the standard shocks or ones available back in the day.  Emulator valves in forks aren't really legal but have become acceptable.

We all know it is impractical to say you can only use standard parts, so some clarification is needed.  There are a whole lot of unwritten rules out there. 

That is where the problem comes from.  It is up to someone's interpretation and everyone does not have the same interpretation.

Kevin

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:33:09 PM by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2014, 06:23:06 PM »
Kev ,Get you facts right . We had 2 of our crs pulled up at the same nationals over taper bars and both where found to be legal (re Dave Tanner ) so please before you make these statements do your home work and get it right .
As for Bigk I don't like huskys but I don't get on here a bag them just because I don't like them , Am I lead to belive that if you don't like something it should not be allowed
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
I don't see where you've got that I've bagged anything other than the implied changes to the EVO rules (those we've yet to see, but have been alluded to by the protagonists). While I may prefer to ride Husky's Grant, I do particularly like the trick Hondas of which I have a few & also any nice bike (except maybe a Yamaha). I'm allowed to hate tapered bars just like you're allowed to love them. You're missing the point on that, but that's your interpretation.
K

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »
Missed something here.
Can someone explain to me what are the advantages with Taper bars over the normal 7/8 bars ?
Thanks Andrew.

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »
Missed something here.
Can someone explain to me what are the advantages with Taper bars over the normal 7/8 bars ?
Thanks Andrew.

Allegedly you can pick up a younger playmate at the gay bar if you run fat bars and black rims  ;)

No place on a vintage bike  >:(
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »
No place on a vintage bike  >:(
[/quote]
Ohh I see its not period correct or OEM.
Gotchya thanks  :)

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Up until 10 yrs ago fat bars were normal bars at chucking out time, when all the non porkers had pulled and gone home leaving the lard arses to lock up.
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »
Again some people have misunderstood what I said.  The current rule is "All components will come from the period the machine was manufactured"

When were the fat taper bars invented,  I'm sure it wasn't in 1981 or 1989 even.  I know we used solid alloy bars in 1977.

The rules need to be clarified better.  The proposed changes don't do that, they open them up more.

Kevin
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »
i have been racing evo bikes now for 15 years there was never a problem
with components yz465 forks and brakes are very hard to find so we used j forks
or cr forks with twin leading brakes, raced in state championships as well as aussie ones
never a problem, no later engines or usd forks just conventional forks drum brakes and std air cooled motor ,to think that people would build up cr500 rzs or a5 kx500 is stupid no one would do it a friend in melb built a kx a5 with a kx500 engine but he built it for pre 85 because he knew he couldnt ride it in evo THERE WAS NEVER A PROBLEM until people on the forum blew it out of proportion
it was never broken !!!!!
follow me to first turn

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 07, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
My Maico had the Fat bars on them originally when I first bought it but I quickly swapped them over
for a set of Jimmy Button 7/8 Renthals not because of the rules (Well I don't no the rules) but because I like the feel of them.
But apparently there is a performance gain according to Big K which I still cannot get my head around.
Ok, I'll join the pedantic few. Tapered bars are indeed a performance enhancing component regardless of what anyone says, as are MOST of the equipment we fit to our VMX bikes. I personally hate them & think they should be refused but that's my opinion and I'm not all bent up over it.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 07, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
I for one am waiting for that answer ,
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 07, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
They are tougher, offer more flex and are easier on your arms, or so the sales pitch says. Real or placebo, who knows? Almost everything is a performance gain if you apply the same reasoning as those who want the rules changed. I don't give one iota about that though, they just look wrong on a VMX bike as do black rims & gobs of CNC machined billet alloy. Just my opinion like the opinion that others hold as to the legality of CR480 forks (which by the way are & always have been legal). Anyone get it yet?
K