Author Topic: 79 CR250 Front End Conversion  (Read 68532 times)

Offline PB

• Novice
    • View Profile
79 CR250 Front End Conversion
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:14:46 PM »
I have a 79 CR250 recently restored for the intension of racing it. I am wanting to upgrade the Front End. I was hoping members could give me some suggestions of conversions they have done which have worked well. I was thinking 43mm 480 forks, has anyone done that conversion?

Does anyone have anything available to buy as mentioned above.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

PB

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 79 CR250 Front End Conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
I put a 1981 YZ465H fork & front wheel assembly in my 79 CR250,43mm forks with racetech emulators & springs to suit my weight,I used billet triples with a modified stem,You could use the YZ stem but I think the stem will need modifying, I used the yam front end because at the time that is what I deemed to be EVO legal but now I dunno what is :-\ So you might want to use the CR480 front end,both are 43mm & twin leader brakes,I don't know if the Honda clamps are a straight bolt in sorry,I have the Yam clamps & a spare frame if you want me to test fit,no probs :)

Offline PB

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 09:02:58 PM »
Smed, thanks for the feedback. Interesting conversation. I can keep my eyes open for CR or YZ. I also put the post on just by chance someone would have something lying around the shed suitable.

cheers

PB

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
I have the CR480 front end on my 79 CR. I think it is now race legal to have this front end. You will need to use the original CR250 stem pressed into the CR480 clamp.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 05:46:01 AM »
It has always been race legal to have them but some are trying to change that.

PB, all you need to do is remove the centre tube from the 79 and put in in the 82/83 forks and you are away. No modifications needed (that's what makes them legal).

I run a set of 82 forks on my 79, they stiffen up the front but cause a bit more frame flex. I mainly did it for the looks.

Shane

Offline PB

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
Thanks Shane, thanks for the heads up. Now to find some forks and triple clamps. Did the 250 wheel fit the forks?

Cheers

Cameron

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:37 AM »
Yes Cameron, it is the easiest change to make, I am still running the standard front wheel and brake (single leading shoe).

On the early Honda stuff the centre shaft is held in via a clamp bolt so it easy to remove.

You can pick them up from ebay in the states from time to time. Make sure you ask them to remove the springs and compress the forks as this saves on shipping. I thing the last time I purchased a set it was around the 200 US + about a 100 freight. lot cheaper than trying to get a set of hard to find H model Yamaha forks and a lot easier to fit. 81 are only 41mm (still not to bad a fork) and 82 and 83 are 43mm.

Shane

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 06:30:46 AM »
I had a 79 model with a CR480 front complete with front wheel, but at that time it was illegal because it came from a bike with a linkage rear end, the only legal front at that time was a Yamaha one, but that may have changed now not sure....
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline ty4

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
pm sent PB

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:28:16 PM »
Popeye, that was what you were told but the rule has always been the same. It depends on how you read it.

Lets hope it stays that way as there has never been a concern from evo riders points of view.

Shane

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »
I had a 79 model with a CR480 front complete with front wheel, but at that time it was illegal because it came from a bike with a linkage rear end, the only legal front at that time was a Yamaha one, but that may have changed now not sure....

That was my understanding of the rule as well. There have been many threads on here about the Showa 43mm front end on Evo class CR's and I can't ever recall one saying that the later Showa fork was allowed. As a matter of fact, most said that there was no way known that would allow it at a National level.
I think the rule(s) for Evo will be tweaked to allow the fork(s) from any drum braked bike to be used for next year??? Not sure if the proposed rule changes will be put into action though.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
This is from the MA website current rule book.

16.15.12 Acceptable machines and components: Evolution Class Solo
16.15.12.1 Bikes will be OEM (original equipment manufacturer).
16.15.12.2 Modifications converting later equipment to comply will not be allowed.
16.15.12.3 All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured:
a) No linkage suspension,
b) No disk brakes,
c) Air cooled motors

Now i cant see how forks from a linkage Honda can be deemed legal.
Maybe i am  reading it wrong i know they were going to drop the OME rule but they are still forks from a linkage bike .
Dont get me wrong here the whole fork saga with the vintage bikes is a joke IMO but i cant see how they would be deemed legal with the above wording. Yes they are from a bike with drum brakes and air cooled but with linkage rear but later equipment.
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »
I'm with you two blokes, the way I read it, you cant take major components off a newer era bike, ie pre85. Also to me VMX is about era racing, keeping the bikes basically how they where raced back in the day. No one in 1979 or 1980 with a CR had 43mm forks off a 1983 model Honda.....they didn't exist period, how can we change history?.... You cant take major components off any other newer era and put them on an older era, I would hate to see EVO turned into a Frankenbike era like they do in the UK and those Dutch twinshocks. The commission have put there rule change through, it just has to be OKed by MA and then pre85 bikes will be sort after to be wrecked out for there wheels, brakes, forks etc to go on EVO bikes....totally wrong and to me not within the spirit of VMX. I like specials but this goes too far.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 07:33:12 AM »
its all how you read it.
I have Yamaha J (1982) 43mm front end  on my1984 510 husky. im using earlier model components on my evo bike. this was a cheap($150) upgrade from the 40mm husky forks and marginal front brake, to the yam TLS set up.
these were components from the time. cheap parts make for more bikes out there and more specials IMO. The front end and the back end are not related . its a technology based class. hence the 90 something DT175 is still legal.

We are all using updated shocks not related to the era (clickers etc) and new backing plates etc replace the fatigued magnesium items which are failing .
whats wrong with a little modern retro bling?, it makes the rider feel good  and the fast guys still win regardless..

No bikes have been protested at national level in all years of evo racing.
the rules are working.
Anyway YAWN!!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
99% of riders conform to the correct reading of the rules, your Husky is about the only twinshock bike that came out in 84 [they where behind the times....money troubles], what we are saying is that you cant take major components off the next era bikes.... pre85 [single shock, disc brakes, water cooling etc], if you want 43mm legal forks then buy 81 YZ465 forks, they are the only one, but as you said, you bought the later "cheaper" forks.[ you could spend big bucks on some legal 44mm Fox forks too] Once you let the forks and brakes in, then the better straight pull spoked wheels get in, the 83/84 air cooled 480/500 2 stroke Honda and Kawasaki motors get in [how's your 4 stroke husky going to go against them?....then the whinging starts again]....it just opens a hornets nest. You might be using earlier model components in your bike but they are off the next era [pre85], would you race your bike in pre85?.....just like you cant put 77 model forks on a 74 model bike or 95 model forks on a 88 model, you cant put linkage model forks on a twinshock bike.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.