Author Topic: Buy Local........ if you can...........  (Read 18259 times)

Offline PCMAX

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Local........ if you can...........
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
Went to the largest bike dealer in Geelong today to by a kill switch the young bloke behind the parts counter wanted to know the bike model vin etc then tried to tell me he would have to order the whole original control peice to get that button, I then explained again nicely that all I was after was an aftermarket kill switch he went and looked through some shelf storage boxes all of which were empty then told me he would have to order it in( still dont think he new what I meant ), I left with a sort of polite thanks but no thanks had a bit more of a think then went to the local bike electrician/coil rewinders in town they had a box of 50 in the small shed they work out of so I kept the money really local in Geelong, nearly bought one on line and it would of been $10.00 more with the postage than the local one. Cant win either way try to help local dealer or get ripped online sometimes got to think out of the box to get what you want.

Similar thing often happens when I try to buy parts from Sydney City Motorcycles. I ask the young guy behind the counter for a countershaft sprocket retainer for my 82 CR he looks it up and tells me they are no longer available, I explain that the same part was fitted to about 50 Honda models but he says that the computer says its not superseded by any other P/N
I go home take the one off my XR250 and fit it to the CR? Next day I go back to the shop and ask for one for an 84 XR, he looks it up and says no problems I will order one for you.

Similarly when I went to buy a Mikuni 240 main jet for my '81 RM the guy looks it up and says that the smallest jet for that model was a 250, he said he couldnt order me a 240 because he didnt have a part number on the computer screen. Talk about frustrating !!!!
74 MX250A, 75 CR250, 82 CR125, 82 YZ250J, 84 XR250,

Tony T

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
Ok, I started this thread and seeing it's gone way off track, here's one for you.
I went to local plumbing shop for a particular fitting. The bloke that served me came out with the item, but said I couldn't have it because it "wasn't in stock".
I tried to explain that it was in his hand, but he maintained that the computer said he didn't have one so I couldn't have it!!  >:( 
Luckily a more senior staff member (not Nathan  ;) ) came over and saved the day.

Curly3

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »
Lack of knowledge from the person serving you has and always will be a problem, people don't stay in a job long enough these days and computer foibles are a constant issue, a computer is only as good as the operator.
I went into Bunnings a few years ago to get some 6mm nylon rope for an urgent job out on site, as the guy cut the rope he pulled out his ciggie lighter to melt the ends, he had this cocky look on his face then said, " I bet you haven't seen that before ", I said, no I'm amazed you even knew how to light it.

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2012, 09:36:30 PM »
Davey Crocket is right most of the riding gear in the shop in town is cheaper than the net and I havent bought boots for a while but there heaps cheaper than they were and cheaper than online because of US postage costs which is good, they even had a pair of boots that was half the price of the online price even excluding the postage but I control this type of purchase as I usually know what I want and can see and touch the stuff, but at the parts desk youre at the mercy of the great unwashed work experience boy behind the desk frustrating to say the least, at the other joint the bloke who served me was older than me by some margin and new his sh$t.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »
"The only staff they can afford are simpletons."
Sadly when I door knocked Bike shops wishing to leave letters of introduction and EXPERIENCE... I was commonly dismissed as to old, too polite or too experienced and knowledgeable!!!!!.... and I was only after the most basic of simpletons wages.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:49:30 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2012, 10:25:42 PM »
Tim
i would have thought a switched on boss would be after all those qualities and more from  spare parts/salesperson as you cant get that from a kid that has just left school.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »
Many years ago I walked into Leidreiters leather supply looking for some bits.  He didn't have them and looked up his wholesale catalog and found them.  "I'll order them in" he said.  Don't bother I told him as I'm not local and wont be back.  He replied with "I can't sell them if I haven't got them".  I always remembered that and thought it was a great approach to business.

Most small items that I need now I'll pick up from a local bike shop.  But the other day I needed a bunch of tyres chains ect, for a couple bikes so I ordered from O.S. and saved $270.  I know it wont keep the local bloke in a job, but it helps me keep my house.  These are changing times and business needs to change to keep up.  How? I don't know. Most small shops have gone by the wayside and have been eaten up by the large chain stores.  They have greater buying power that the independent's can't compete with.  I was in retail once, I could buy an item for $10 if I bought ten it was $9, if I bought 50 it was $7, if I bought a hundred it was $5 and so on.  So the chain store down the road would buy 1,000 for $2 sell them for $5 and I had to try and compete.  Not an easy game for the little bloke.

The bike trade has one of the lowest markups. 

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »
Jebus, Davey - I was reading along, thinking "he's making a lot more sense than usual" - then I got to the last line and figured out why! :D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
Ok, I started this thread and seeing it's gone way off track, here's one for you.
I went to local plumbing shop for a particular fitting. The bloke that served me came out with the item, but said I couldn't have it because it "wasn't in stock".
I tried to explain that it was in his hand, but he maintained that the computer said he didn't have one so I couldn't have it!!  >:( 

Now that is pure GOLD!!! Who can argue with logic like that... let's just hope he isn't planning on breeding!!!  ;D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Curly3

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »
7 pages ???
Honestly this could really be a never ending topic but I think it's been done to death, I'm not singling anyone out here, especially Tony T.

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2012, 07:30:15 AM »
T for trouble maker! ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
The topic will be done to death when people say "Funny to think that we used to buy stuff from overseas all the time!".
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »
I'd love to see your arms stockpile, and bunker, Wasp.

Honestly, I reckon if poop gets genuinely ugly, it will end in WW3, and the survivalist stuff won't really be relevant.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »
Can recommend good prices and friendly service at Dirt factory Wollongong NSW  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
Well I had to buy some parts for my John Deere, so I went online thinking they would be cheaper.  I would of saved $14 on the parts and still have to pay shipping.  Called the local dealer they had everything in stock and couriered them to my work that morning before I got there, for less than I could get them from the U.S.  So if John Deere can be price competitive what's up with everyone else.