Author Topic: Buy Local........ if you can...........  (Read 18238 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Local........ if you can...........
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »

It’s a bit like bagging your local General Store because they don’t have the same stock levels or pricing of the Independent Supermarkets.

Thats it in a nut shell really, its all about inventory really......ebay has several thousand items and a more competitive environment for both sellers and buyers so normally it is better to shop there. Its really been seriously years since I walked up to the parts counter in a real live bike store. As for having to make a relationship with the parts guy, most of them know less about the products than we do so whats the point.

The motorcycle industry particulalrly the single Japanese franchises I think are on borrowed time. Future is multi franchise stores with decent level of e business.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »
I have to agree with 3858, as a small retailer I cannot figure out why a set of brake shoes from england cost $4 less than my wholesaler, delivered ???
I have blokes coming in with tyres that they want fitted that they have purchased on line aand are only marginaly more than my wholesale price.
You can,t blame anybody for trying to save a dollar but just remember folks if you dont support your local bloke now and then he wil get a job somewhere else. ;)
As the song goes "you dont know what you"ve got till its gone" ;)
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
They're building a tree museum? Fukk yes!
:D

I want to have a rant about crappy service from Aussie retailers, but know it will become a 5,000 word rant that nobody will bother to read...

From a customer's point of view, the rules for successful retailing are not that hard:

1. You don't need to price match, but you do need to be in the ballpark.

2. Customer service is way more than smiling on the way out...

3. Have stuff in stock. Nobody really expects to walk in and get a 3rd gear for a 1983 YZ250 off the shelf, but the number of stories of shops not having stuff like 520 chain joining links is insane.

4. If you don't have it in stock, then always offer to get it. And don't kid yourself that jacking up the price for a "special order" is acceptable nowdays...

5. Know what you're selling. Blank stares and bullshit don't cut it when the customer can walk out and get dozens of independent opinions on the net, especially of you're not offering the best price.

6. Reward your regular/loyal customers - if you show them no loyalty, they will be happy to return the favour...

7. Be up-front about your prices. Nowdays, it's assumed that an item without a price tag is overpriced...

8. If you have a website, make sure it is clear and simple. A shitty web site strongly implies a shitty business.

9. People expect multi-buy discounts, particularly for items that are going through the post.

I know it seems like a long list, and I know its not always possible to nail every single one... But there are just so many businesses doing it badly - and then bleating like stuck pigs when customers desert them in droves.
Further, I reckon that there's a direct relationship between the retailers that stuck to their old business model and those that are no longer around...
I do understand a lot of the challenges facing retailers - getting good staff, getting products at vaguely equitable prices, floor space costs, etc etc - none of which means that not trying isn't just a hiding to nowhere...

Yes, that was the short, calm version. :)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
YZ 250 piston and rings $365 Unzud at dealer - 5 day delivery parts and freight half price
6 pack RMZ oil filters air mailed For same price as one from Suzuki dealer
Full set riding gear/boots/neck brace etc=delived, freight and GST paid save $450
dealers will have to watch margins to survive
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »
As for having to make a relationship with the parts guy, most of them know less about the products than we do so whats the point.

Defeatist attitude  ;D  You coming over to CD9 and supporting our VMX economy ?  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
My best mate is a Bike dealer of larger country bike shop / The other day he put a nice after market pipe on his demo Yamaha 800 road bike and told me over a beer he purchased it via ebay as it was $200 under his buy price.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

maico police

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
I can understand why some bike shops aren't interested in paying their staff to run around after VMX people. We're hardly their superanuation fund. :-X

Offline PCMAX

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
What I don't understand is why prices here are double what they are in the USA.

I was in Los Angeles recently and bought a few NGK spark plugs $2.95 here I pay $6. I also picked up one pack (3 sheets) of One Industries number board backing (the thick black/green vinyl sticky stuff) from one shop at $16.99 and a similar pack of Factory Effects FX from Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo for $14.99.

I have purchased this same stuff here before for $34 per pack.

You have to assume that the USA dealers are making a profit so where is the additional 100% mark up going when I buy here. Is it all government taxes??
74 MX250A, 75 CR250, 82 CR125, 82 YZ250J, 84 XR250,

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »
What I don't understand is why prices here are double what they are in the USA.

I was in Los Angeles recently and bought a few NGK spark plugs $2.95 here I pay $6. I also picked up one pack (3 sheets) of One Industries number board backing (the thick black/green vinyl sticky stuff) from one shop at $16.99 and a similar pack of Factory Effects FX from Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo for $14.99.

I have purchased this same stuff here before for $34 per pack.

You have to assume that the USA dealers are making a profit so where is the additional 100% mark up going when I buy here. Is it all government taxes??
I think it was mentioned earlier that the distributors set the prices that retailers pay, the US has a larger market & the distributors can place larger orders which helps them get a better price.
My guess would be that larger turn over means that a smaller margin still works for them. Seems to be lots of stories of greedy distributors in this part of the world though

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 08:37:22 PM »
Shops should be going back to importers/distributors and telling them what the customer is discovering. What is stopping a shop here buying online and selling way below rec retail?
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
I can understand why some bike shops aren't interested in paying their staff to run around after VMX people. We're hardly their superanuation fund. :-X
Mont , think about it most of us have at least 2 or 3 bikes  in tyres , tubes , plugs , bars grips ect alone we spend more than most modern owners would . When we restore a bike there is a lot of gear we buy that is not just VMX stuff . I pointed this out to the previous owner of Procycles in Hornsby , that after restoring over 15 bikes I would have spent more than any of her modern riders would have . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »
Shops should be going back to importers/distributors and telling them what the customer is discovering. What is stopping a shop here buying online and selling way below rec retail?

Dont worry Lozza, the distributors do know whats going on. What the shops dont sell on Monday they dont buy from the distributor Tuesday. No good for anyone.
 A couple of quick reasons that the small shops don't import a lot of items
                                                                                 ; they cant carry the risk if the goods dont sell. Most distributors carry multiple lines to help amortise the risks
                                                                                 ; most business's just cant afford to buy in quantities that would reduce the item cost below the o/s sales price which the public can buy at anyway
                                                                                 ; many of the lines are tied up with distributors because the manufacturers don't want to deal in small quantities

Even if there was some way to price match human nature will have them looking for a cheaper deal regardless. Its the current disparity that is exacerbated by our high dollar.
 So this is a great time then apparently to invest your redundancy packages and become 'super' distributors of cheap goods.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »
Mont , think about it most of us have at least 2 or 3 bikes  in tyres , tubes , plugs , bars grips ect alone we spend more than most modern owners would . When we restore a bike there is a lot of gear we buy that is not just VMX stuff . I pointed this out to the previous owner of Procycles in Hornsby , that after restoring over 15 bikes I would have spent more than any of her modern riders would have . Iain

Yep.
I spend more on bikes that any of the modern-only riders I know.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
A few years ago, the local dealer tried to buy Camel backs from the USA. Purchased in bulk at slightly below USA retail, delivered to the door was about a fraction of cost compared to the Aus importing cartels.  The transaction was blocked.  The dealer's customer purchased overseas. So a local motorbike dealership was not able to compete at all.
These importing cartels are the source of the problem. Old businesses born during Australia's retail isolation, which are now not needed.  They will all die together.
BTW, I do not believe we would have a vintage forum, were it not for the ability to buy OS.
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

maico police

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »

Yep.
I spend more on bikes that any of the modern-only riders I know.

I doubt it. You spend more per year on your equipment, suspension, and new bike replacement than a modern racer?  ??? ::)
(Granted maybe more from the hardware store)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:48:33 AM by Mont »