Author Topic: Buy Local........ if you can...........  (Read 18240 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Local........ if you can...........
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »
I doubt it. You spend more per year on your equipment, suspension, and new bike replacement than a modern racer?  ??? ::)
(Granted maybe more from the hardware store)

Maybe, maybe not.
Without too much thought, I can account for nearly $30k just on buying bikes in the last 18 months. ( :o )
Can't think of a single one of them that still has the same tyres, chain, or grips as when I bought it.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

maico police

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »
I can account for nearly $30k just on buying bikes in the last 18 months..

Good to see you didn't mindlessly blow it all on chain lube.... ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »
And that you've not mindlessly blown your cash on reading glasses.

What you can see there is dirt stuck to the lube on the side plates. ;)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

maico police

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
Yeah. Right.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2012, 01:29:04 PM »
You coming to spread your good cheer at CD9?
Maybe you could drop past and appraise my chain-lubing skills?

(damn you auto-correct)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:01:38 PM by Nathan S »

Offline Flatout

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
Its not about the pissy price or the pissy part..and its not an isolated case I would rather order my parts here ,however 90% of the time my vintage parts I want to order new are either NLA ,obsolete or priced over the top..My new tyres and tubes -oil,and most disposable items do come from here..The parts I order for my 08'' road bike are always on time and reasonably priced..Some cater better than others for vintage bikes..I for one will continue to buy parts like the thousands of people who buy online everyday from overseas..and yes the internet and ebay have opened up a whole new world for the vintage bike scene..other wise most of our vintage bikes would still be sitting in the corner of the shed gathering dust..Hey mate..

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
Its not about the pissy price or the pissy part..and its not an isolated case I would rather order my parts here ,however 90% of the time my vintage parts I want to order new are either NLA ,obsolete or priced over the top..My new tyres and tubes -oil,and most disposable items do come from here..The parts I order for my 08'' road bike are always on time and reasonably priced..Some cater better than others for vintage bikes..I for one will continue to buy parts like the thousands of people who buy online everyday from overseas..and yes the internet and ebay have opened up a whole new world for the vintage bike scene..other wise most of our vintage bikes would still be sitting in the corner of the shed gathering dust..Hey mate..

.........but the part you wanted WAS available here ::)

You don't have to tell me about keeping a bike going - I wish I only had to chase common Yamaha parts.. Hey mate..
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

maico police

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »
if I was a dealer , wholesaler , wrecker or any of that kind , I would run two books . A black one for the loyal and regular customers  and  a pink one for the overseas shoppers , ONE  day they need something special  at a special price , then its time for the pink book discount 

Spot on.

Our local dealer years ago, wouldn't sell you parts if you bought your bike out of town for the sake of saving some dollars.
Should be more of it.

No Nathan. I'll be looking for some buckets of rusty nails and coach bolts to stick on eBay.  ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
Its a free wild now world to buy what ever and from who ever you want . But if I was a dealer , wholesaler , wrecker or any of that kind , I would run two books . A black one for the loyal and regular customers  and  a pink one for the overseas shoppers , ONE  day they need something special  at a special price , then its time for the pink book discount  ;) What goes round , comes around .

I'm sure a lot of places do something similar already...
Just gotta be careful that you've got enough loyal customers to make it work. ;)

----

Sounds like a good plan for you Ross.

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2012, 10:43:35 PM »
Went to the largest bike dealer in Geelong today to by a kill switch the young bloke behind the parts counter wanted to know the bike model vin etc then tried to tell me he would have to order the whole original control peice to get that button, I then explained again nicely that all I was after was an aftermarket kill switch he went and looked through some shelf storage boxes all of which were empty then told me he would have to order it in( still dont think he new what I meant ), I left with a sort of polite thanks but no thanks had a bit more of a think then went to the local bike electrician/coil rewinders in town they had a box of 50 in the small shed they work out of so I kept the money really local in Geelong, nearly bought one on line and it would of been $10.00 more with the postage than the local one. Cant win either way try to help local dealer or get ripped online sometimes got to think out of the box to get what you want.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2012, 11:33:13 AM »
Went to the largest bike dealer in Geelong today to by a kill switch the young bloke behind the parts counter wanted to know the bike model vin etc then tried to tell me he would have to order the whole original control peice to get that button, I then explained again nicely that all I was after was an aftermarket kill switch he went and looked through some shelf storage boxes all of which were empty then told me he would have to order it in( still dont think he new what I meant ),

It’s a common theme

I think it’s all a bit catch 22.
The wholesalers make a good mark up at the expense of the retail shop.
The retail shop has to cut their margins to try to make a sale.
The only staff they can afford are simpletons.
They’re simpletons because they grew up in a culture that doesn’t work on their own bikes
The simpletons drive people away with frustration.
The wholesalers get less sales from the retailers.
The wholesalers are less inclined to cut their margins at the expense of their own lifestyle.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
It's up to the retailers to drive the point home(with wholesalers) what retail customers are telling them. After all the Retailer is the wholesalers customer.
If it were me in retail I would be testing ways to cut out the Australian wholesaler and compete with online prices. Les Richters once said to me that he would be stupid to try and sell an item for more than what the online landed cost is.  You don't have to be cheaper just competitive.A fair few retailers(Pete from Tokentools is one) who did the hard yards and even bypassed wholesalers in China.   
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »
The wholesaler has to forecast in
order to supply immediately
The wholesaler has a huge financial outlay
The wholesaler gets left with stock that does not sell
The wholesaler has to wear warranties
The wholesaler has to carry parts for 10 years
The retailer  has the cost of making a phone call to order and spend some time with the buyer

With today's logistics and online capability, the wholesaler adds little value.  These old firms with their old business models, will either adapt or perish. I buy my machine tools direct from the manufacture. The only thing between me and the manufacture is the logistics guy !
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »

With today's logistics and online capability, the wholesaler adds little value.  These old firms with their old business models, will either adapt or perish. I buy my machine tools direct from the manufacture. The only thing between me and the manufacture is the logistics guy !

Bingo.
I get Wasp's point, but this idea of wholesaler's making more than retail gross profit margins is old news.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
Had a mate who went to a McLeods Distributors trade show...as it happened they had the Shoei helmut guys there from Japan....so old mate mosies on up to Mr Hiroshima and shows him an American magazine with the same new latest model helmuts for sale ...wait for it....cheaper retail than the Aussie wholesale price....but Mr Hiroshima says....argh so (there probably saying arse hole to be truthfull about it)....he pay wress ran rat....argh....now we know why not sell many helmut in Austraya.....pretty soon old mate gets chaufferred away from Mr Hiroshima.....you cant say that to him....your making us look bad....if you do go to local shops then you will notice alot of cheaper prices on goods....2 weeks ago I went and bought a new set of TCX 2.1 top of the range boots from my local dealer who I have a very good 20 year relationship with. These boots are replacing my old set of TCX's that would be approax 7 years old (they have lasted Motard racing, trail riding and approax 18 vintage meets per year so I am very happy with the brand (all the top riders in the Dakar use them....maybe one day....Dodgee are you ready). The original pair cost $600...retail was $700....this pair retailed for $600 and I got them for $410...farken bargin if you ask me....I dont know what they cost overseas but at the end of the day if you dont support local then there wont be local and then you will carry on like a 2 bob watch....like a few people have said...make yourself known too your local guy and dont be affraid to ask for a deal...if the guy serving you is a muppet then tell the boss....if he doesnt know then how can he help....it has taken me many years of dealing with people to find who will do the right thing by me but I have my little group of hommies I can ring and know I am getting great service. Most people who know me know I wont tolerate dickheads and I'm not affraid to tell them....they soon learn to run and hide or get there act together....every business out there needs to make a profit to survive....wether its a frachise or sole trader....if they stink...tell em and if the boss doesnt do something about it then he cant blame anyone....sorry for my Nathan ramblings.... ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.