Author Topic: bikes on ebay, sold while in transit from the states?  (Read 4982 times)

suzuki43

Re: bikes on ebay, sold while in transit from the states?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »
Yes parts shipping is the only way to go.I just landed a couple of RM's and a huge amount of parts for NZD$1400 incl GST around 3m3 in a purpose built steel crate.MAF (Ministry Agriculture & Fisheries)-NZ's version of AQIS, were cool and no steam cleaning required. ;D

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
new trap tho have just found out this one if you send in a roller it is considered a motorbike even withouit a motor in it you must now remove the suspension,wheels ,handle bars have had this on my latest shipment.ALSO dotars IS TAKING A LOT LONGER THAN THERE ADVERTISED 17 DAYS i am now up to 36 days and still waitng for paper work ouch storage fees on the wharf

IT400C

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »
yeah, I got caught by that too.......  Also, be aware that when DOTARS say 17 days, they mean 17 working days.  I was waiting for my import clearance at the start of the year - Easter and Anzac Day etc. meant 4 day weeks - so 17 working days took a full month.

And that 17 days is only how long before it goes onto an assessor's desk.  They're usually processed in one day, but it takes them another 1 1/2 weeks to print off the approval and get it signed, and then another week to post it...

My form was processed in 18 working days, but it still took 6 1/2 weeks to get the form in my hand....

And my Customs Agent told me that now, if it looks like a bike, it needs an import permit - whether it's got a motor or not...

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »
never had to fill any paper work out in 8 years of importing bikes from usa
total of 15 bikes all put in boxes and shipped as parts.1 seller (3 speedway bikes and 2 in parts )packed each bike in boxes and del all to long beach for me cost 500.00 usd.from nevarda
jim
there is a 250 squ/barrell on usa ebay now the seller will box the bike and del to long beach.he sells bikes to nz and aus all the time

firko

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
I've looked a bit deeper into the bikes listed on eBay Australia and reckon that those bikes are  a pretty good deal for the bloke who wants a turnkey deal, something he can just pay the money, pick the bike up and take it straight to the track. With these bikes there's very little or nothing at all to do to them so when you weigh up the cost of a core bike, the cost of resto (nearly always double your original estimate) and the fact that the shippers are doing all of the hard work for you, it's not a bad deal at all. The bikes are all quality machines sourced from the New York area

The guys behind this are long time old school vintage racers and Darren himself has thirty years in the shipping business, in fact he bought my first Hindall into the country for me 10 years ago.
I've known him since the very first VMX race at Amaroo when he came up to support Ronnie Dinsdale and after sharing many a pit area and more than a few beers with him over the preceeding years, have no hesitation in giving Darren and his partners the Firko seal of approval. As a restorer his bikes have no equal, many of which have seen the pages of VMX so I know his eye for a good bike is beyond question.

Sure you can do it cheaper by getting your bike broken down and bringing it in as parts but that's not for everyone. If you're looking for a turnkey bike for a competitive price to what you'd pay for a locally sourced bike give these a go. The money back gaurantee is there if you aren't satisfied.

This ain't a free plug either. When I realised who the shipper is, I gave him a ring because I hadn't spoken to him in yonks as well as to see what it was all about.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
So, if the seller is happy to crate, what happen after that, will l contact a importer from here, or does the seller will ship it.

Offline MRMOTORCROSS

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »
beware of that guy that brought the maico stuff in, he brought car parts in for me , on the reccommendation from a mate.
took 6 months to get here, lost half the stuff, then said stiff shit.
ended up costing me $5000 to replace the bits and get it re sent, but hey, yes his shipping was cheap!!!!!!!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »
So, if the seller is happy to crate, what happen after that, will l contact a importer from here, or does the seller will ship it.
you ship other wise they will send it fed ex and you ll get a nice bill.  bit like posting COD turns up on your dorr and if you dont pay it it goes back and you lose everywhich way.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff