VMX and Dirt track and Stadium cross and Vinduro and Amcross
14 (23%)
Restorer & enthusiast only (Non rider)
5 (8.2%)
Cyber Racer
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: October 11, 2009, 09:32:18 pm

Author Topic: Whats your cup of tea  (Read 4200 times)

Rosco400

Whats your cup of tea
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:32:18 pm »
After the latest National events both VMX & DT , it would be interesting going forward to get a view as to forum members preferences as to what part of the scene appeals to most, this would be a positive to help clubs cater for what riders want,

This is meant to be constructive to get more bums on seats going forward and not to pit one discipline against another. More aimed at helping one discipline support another

I am of the opinion all racing is good and would support all disciplines just for the sake of it and have a ride time and family permitting

A few guys I have spoken to have been involved with VMX but never tried a DT or Stadium cross but have hinted would like to try at some stage

I know a lot of guys have bikes parked in the sheds and are not getting them out but dont understand why, wether just lost interest, bones ache to much, had a bad official experience, family life etc.

Please be constructive ;) All feedback welcomed

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:34:47 pm by Rosco400 »

Curly3

Re: Whats your cup of tea
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:53:44 pm »
Great topic Roscoe, my thoughts exactly.
I'm from a Speedway - Dirt Track ( short circuit ) background and have only started to renew my involvement with bikes this year.
From what I can tell Dirt Track appears to be the neglected child of the Vintage family and that disappoints me a bit.
As I said Dirt Track is my preference but I also have an interest in the VMX side of things.
I will watch with interest that's for sure.
Steve

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:16:03 pm »
I guess the topic needs to be talked about and this is the best forum for that, so thanks for bringing it up.

In Brisbane we have "Double The Dirt" once a year and you get the chance to ride short circuit on saturday and VMX on sunday. Last year it fell over from lack of interest but this year I thought it was a beauty! Great racing on some very neat bikes from both sports and some that crossed over to sunday with just a tyre change.

Robin from the club was seen rubbing his chin pondering a supercross track under lights maybe for the sat night next yr so we could combine all 3- wont leave much time forcold drinks in between but, so will need alot of careful thought for that one.

I would have thought that dirt track would have appealed to more classic riders and bikes as it's not so hard on either and there's lots  of races to enter, lots of classes and catagories so why aren't more giving it a go?

Rosco400

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:01:55 pm »
It gets brought up from time to time that here is too much on offer for riders to choose, maybe we are becoming spoilt. :-\

I dont know how many rounds are run in QLD and VIC, why would double the dirt struggle one year and not the next.  Is it posible not enough promotion from BMCC, to many rounds of racing or close proximity to other major events.

Viper i think are running 4 rounds and attending few other events in close proximity but finding it hard to travel north

Same issues are happening in NSW. Big membership but numbers are sometimes a problem. Great number Approx 80 riders for 10th Anniversary but 35 riders the round before. Around 200 members I am led to believe but not many travel

Hunter and Penrith Dirt track get few riders on club days Hunter around dozen riders and not sure on Penrith

Some of these points have been brought to Attention in  other threads and lack of promotion seems to have a bearing.

Is the answer not to give so much choice, i dont know. Should we be running say interclub days with other clubs in close proximity. Cutting club rounds when National events are scheduled

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 07:33:02 am »
Not being a motocross enthusiast, the poll choices are a bit limiting for me.I do realise the main part in VMX is the MX part , but my preferences lie in dirt track , enduro (love those old ISDT Youtubes )and old bikes in general.
  Thats me....old bikes, old trucks, old guns........and any old bourbon  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Roger 

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:29:02 pm »
Last year double thr dirt fell over due the the track being not usable due to mq making the nth brisbanemc remove the tyre wall and replace with a plywood wall ,bit of a bugger as we had spent money on advertising  then had to cancell next available weekend was bathurst weekend and a think a lot of people like to stay home and watch the great race.this year was much better and we are hoping to do a stand alone dt meeting as well as our normal vmx.i will start collecting trials tyres so will have a few to give away.actually i liked dt so much i have just bought a dt sidecar -gs 1000  should be a hoot when it gets here.we havnt worked out a date yet ,will post as soon as we know.we had a tyre changer on site ,free of charge so all you got to do is remove wheel,stand in line with drink in hand,till its your turn.
i have been talking to the speedway blokes to try and organise speedway for sat night(not supercross)also the trials club to set up a man made trials section..great cross promotion.by the way any one who hasnt done dt and just wants to have a go nth brisbane jnrs mc run prac 1st sunday of the mth

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 04:24:19 pm »
See Shoreline is all excited about DT and has got hisself a new out fit-might have to raid the wheel barrow and swap wheels on the EML just to give youse a race!!
I also like to get into the bush so we need to get Vinduro sorted, but the Vinduro site is wallowing a bit at the mo. Can't seem to get enough interest.

I agree with WA, perhaps we do have too much on, we start out just having a ride or two then it turns into every other weekend. I do feel that some guys set themselves for a big meeting and just let the others slide by so perhaps we do have too many events on and should spread them out a bit.

I could go for 4 VMX meets a year, including club days, 2 Dirt track events and 2 vinduros. Then there is also some title meets at home or interstate that need to be planned for and things can get very busy.

As a passenger there is alot of training to do as well!!

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 05:29:09 pm »
I loved the DT half of D the D this year.  I probably rode more short circuit and speedway in years past than MX, & would love to see 2 or 3 DT meetings per year in Brisbane, easier on the body!!  Might have to find someone to make me up a steel boot.
Mike

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:32:29 pm »
The options didn't fit well with what I am into these days.
Classic Dirt Track, Vinduro and Historic Road Racing.
Hopefully in a couple of years I'll get around to building my YZ250D for VMX too.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 09:23:43 am »
WHATS AMCROSS ????

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 12:24:00 pm »
I also like to get into the bush so we need to get Vinduro sorted, but the Vinduro site is wallowing a bit at the mo. Can't seem to get enough interest. 
Could be because the Vinduro guys are all on http://endurobiketalk.com/forum/index.php
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Rosco400

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 10:32:11 am »
So far, it seems majority are keen for vmx and classic dt as a combination and high percentage want a bit of everything.

How do we get clubs getting members to try something new, Heaven achieved that 2 weeks ago with a bit of stadium cross introduced but in a National DT event, think we had about 10 members out of near 200 members.

I keep refering to the Nationals in this post because I see these as the premier events and this is what all riders should strive to get to

It is surprising that vmx only is relatively low as a % according to the poll but when looking at numbers say at the VMX National and Dirt Track Nationals, the numbers reflect differently here.

What reasons would be seen as low DT numbers compared to VMX nationals, possibly vmx got run to close before DT, cost factors, too much choice, maybe :-\

Should DT Nationals be run possibly around 3 months before vmx nationals so not as much crowding, say April or May and vmx be run around August or September. Would be logical ;)

Why is it that there is only a months grace between VMX National & DT Nationals, doesnt really make sense to be so close in proximity so this may be an area that needs to be changed. I am sure our riding skills aren't really going to improve that much in that short a time ::), on the contrary, i think mine are diminishing :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:39:56 am by Rosco400 »

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 10:49:59 am »
After looking at the pics on the website that Amcross looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.amcross.com.au/
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Rosco400

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 11:12:01 am »
Rosco 400 could you give us a bit of a run down on DT,has it just come on board with the National event or has it been chugging quietly along in the back ground for awhile.??????

I know there has been some issues with the class's(sliders etc) but how big has it been in the last 10 years,say compared to Motorcycle Speedway & Sidecar MX popularity in the last ten year ??????
cheers

I have only been riding DT for last 3 years so not qualified to answer, Firko or somebody else who has been around a lot longer may be able to answer your question for me.

Would like to see Griffith club blow this out of the water if they decide to throw there hat in the ring for 2010 and careful pre planning and proper promotion may help towards this :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:04:26 pm by Rosco400 »

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 02:36:19 pm »
Hey Alli, Dirt track has always been big in Qld. The old club days(BMCC) we used to have DT in the morning & MX in the avo, with non competitors in either catagory helping with the flags etc... when not racing.
I think Steve said there was none over west and there is none that I recall in NZ however over there they had/have TT or grass track. I recall being at the Waikato show and over the very back paddock they had a TT circuit set out on the grass and it looked like great fun. (we should do one)

I'm not too sure about the last 10yrs but before that DT was big in my town of Ipswich and we always used to give them a digging for being soft and not wanting to go over bumps and jumps etc... The Kneeler style outfits were always huge and everyone seemed to know someone that raced one or worst still they always thought I was a DT passenger and couldn't get the gist of my being a MX passenger.