Author Topic: PE250 What do you think?  (Read 4232 times)

TwoTees

PE250 What do you think?
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:34:31 am »
I,ve been looking for a nice registrable pre85 bike and came accross this..............
Its sold so it doesn't matter now, but I was considering it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130334382416&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

The front and rear suspension is from an XR250. If it was original I would have grabbed it but I was really worried about buying a shiny turd.
What do guys think of it and do you think it would work?

Also, Is there such a thing as a Full floater 250 PE? (I mean a proper full floater)

Cheers, Chris
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:39:50 am by TwoTees »

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: PE250 What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 11:29:49 am »
Also, Is there such a thing as a Full floater 250 PE? (I mean a proper full floater)

Cheers, Chris

No, but you can fit the PE250 motor into the floater 175 chassis. You have to use the 175 pipe with a 15mm wide section welded between the main chamber seam before the top mount bracket. It's been done before and has been the subject of a few magazine articles, thats why I remeber about the pipe.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 12:30:41 pm »
see this article
http://cid-407d7ef0965d3991.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/
 Pure Enduro
   Magazines
     PE250D - Australian Dirt Bike 1984

DR

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 12:51:58 pm »
Chris, these are also pre'85 eligable and not a bad thing. The worst is some frames do/did break but once fixed it's normally end of problem. I have one and like it, quite a plush thing to ride and you'll pick 1 up pretty cheaply as they don't have any sort of cult following like the PE's :P no offence to the PE group ;)

TwoTees

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:19:46 pm »
Luke.
Thanks for that article. That means a 465 would fit too :o
Hey doc,
I actually don't want one to compete I just want a cheap to register old school enduro bike in really nice condition to ride where I need rego. Pre 85 is just a limit I put on it in my head.
Isn't that RH the same as a TS250X?. A mate of mine had one and I ended up with it for a day as my RM went bang. Very plush. A little bit too plush, although the one I had for the day wasn't maintained as well as I would have liked. Pretty scary at speed when the track gets rough. Probably a set of 43mm forks will fix it up. I like the idea of a PE250 because it can cop the RM top end and carb to get it cracking and if a full floater PE handles as good as my RM250X I'd be happy.
Since I'm having no joy in finding something I like I'm actually thinking of changing my mind and buying a modern for that sort of riding.
Chris
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:21:56 pm by TwoTees »

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 08:28:52 pm »
i always thought of that with moderns but if i can hang with a new wr450f on the pe400 why bother with a new bike id love to have one newer bike a ktm 540 2st or a wr500 that is as new as i would go in enduro
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 09:14:32 pm »
Yes the TS250 was called a RH in some places of Europe. France also had a detuned 240cc version.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

TwoTees

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:38:57 pm »
i always thought of that with moderns but if i can hang with a new wr450f on the pe400 why bother
Yeah! I totally agree. Also your PE400 is appreciating day by day and a new one just de-values day by day. I recently sold my modern RM250 because I like riding my RM250x more. (not as fast but it feels faster) I can still keep up with the other moderns, but I want to start going on a few longer rides now my kids are getting old enough. I'm kinda thinking 300exc, electric leg, map switch, 3 power valve settings. Soften it up when my old bones get tired and then a flick of the switch and your back into white knuckles and big grins. Under 300cc cheap rego and it'll smash most 450F's and weighs less.
Had a good long ride on a WR450f.....Yawn....
I think a PE250 full floater (as luke's article above) would be a great bike but in reality to ride all day I'm gunna need some comfort.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:54:38 am »
The bike in the background looks like a real RH.

jasmotorbike

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:22:24 pm »
hay chris just thought id let u know its was not a shiny terd as i was the owner of that bike and done the mods witch i spent alot of time and money doing i dont know why i bothered doing a pe just happened to have all the bits to make something different the bloke that bought it is very happy with it and was quick to hand the cash over was only advertised for one day what does that tell ya you missed out on bargin have alook at my yz490 on ebay u might think thats a shiny terd aswell or my yzf r1 ? i think not >:(

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 01:34:44 pm »
Was it a PE250 in an XR250 frame? Interesting looking project jasmotorbike.

BTW I don't think Chris directly accused it of being a "shiny turd", I think he just meant he was afraid of buying a potential "shiny turd," as it was an unknown quantity to him. I read this comment as a general wariness of buying something non-standard, especially from ebay.

Tex

jasmotorbike

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:24:57 pm »
I under stand that there are some shitboxes on ebay but this was not one of them i just decided to let it go cheap seeing that i had to compete with pes for half of that price i had on mine i dont think i would have got $3500 anytime soon as it wasnt original lesson learnt there anyway it was a 78 pe frame with 84 xr swingarm and shockie front was 84 xr as well xr triple clamps with pe steem. the swingarm fits strait in just needed to hang some brackets of the frame for the shock and strengthen it up to handle the load in that area i have to say it was worth it as it handled and stopped"disk brake front" better than any standard pe ive riden.

TwoTees

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:51:57 pm »
jasmotorbike,

Firstly I would like to apologize for my choice of words in my original post, however I do retain my intension of the statement. Tex understood what I meant.
BTW I don't think Chris directly accused it of being a "shiny turd", I think he just meant he was afraid of buying a potential "shiny turd," as it was an unknown quantity to him. I read this comment as a general wariness of buying something non-standard, especially from ebay.

I think the bike looks great! Thats why I was very interested in it. I have been looking for a PE for a while
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=9583.0

I will elaborate with the main 2 points as to why my confidence was not high.

The asking price. The price that People often put on something is usually related to what they think of it. $1700 for that bike I thought was way to cheap. You have your YZ listed for a fair price but this one cheap? I thought that perhaps you had built it, it didnt work and you were flogging it off cheap. This is exact reason that I started with this post.
What do guys think of it and do you think it would work?
The thread kinda went in a different direction.

No mention of the suspension mods in the add. A bike so heavily modified, I though should have been pointed out to the buyer. Not everyone knows what a full floater looks like or whether a 250 Floater exists.

Perhaps I did miss a bargain. If we were closer to each other I would have been knocking on your door for a test ride. If it was good, I would have grabbed it. Oh well! Someone got a good buy.

Cheers, Chris

jasmotorbike

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:11:15 pm »
I had it on ebay once before for a fair price listed all the mods and nothing happened this time just done a basic ad and presto sold in a day that bike cost me over 4grand to build i owned it for 2 years had some fun on it wanted some coin for my other hobby rc planes  cut my losses and sell it cheap like i said in a previous post when you can buy a shity pe for $500 bucks whos going to pay 3 grand for mine hence $1700 price as for my yz i dont give a shit if it doesnt sell as i prefer yamahas but i think it would be a bargin to but hay thats my thoughts anyhow good luck with your pe hunt. :)