Author Topic: Casey Stoner back in action this weekend  (Read 82692 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Stoner back in action this weekend
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 05:54:08 pm »
When these events became "products" as opposed to a "sport" and the snake oil salesmen (Ecelstone, Cochrane et al) started running things it all turned pear shape

Never been a truer word written. Firko,I'm sure you would be disappointed to learn that Eccelstone doesn't actually want overtaking on the track ;D. Much rather it happen in the pits where there is nothing to spoil the sponsor logo's.  I would agree that PI and Estoril were not exciting races, but there has been some crackers this year, Barcelona and Mugello to name 2.
The decline in excitement has been mirrored by the escalation in costs(not only for the bike but amount of personel, computers etc etc), Yamaha was going to make an lease engine 700,000 Euro for the year  :o. There is no ubiquitous TZ250/TZ350/RS250 that a privateer can use, so it's difficult just to get experience on a MotoGP bike, let alone a decent period for learning to ride the machine at the limit. In the  500cc days  the All-Japan 500cc championship was in full swing. If you were good enough you could get experience there (as did most Aussie GP riders) not so these days. Even Rossi says the electronics are too good (he ought to know as he has the most sophisticated package in the paddock), will be hard to put the genie back in the bottle that's for sure.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Curly3

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 06:07:02 pm »
I'm glad you said it first Firko as I totally agree.
As a patriotic Aussie I will always watch our GP and cheer Casey on, but as a racing spectacle it has sadly become predictable and the raw skill of the rider has been replaced by electronic wizardry. I know I sound like a dinosaur but there is more one on one ( or 3 ) combat in a 4 lap Speedway race.
Sadly some competitors in the various "Elite" forms of motor racing are only there because of the money they can bring to a team.
In no way do I include Casey in that group because what he has managed to achieve on the Duke when no one else got near it is amazing.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »
I go along with all that's been said but doing power slides at close to Km/h on bitumen still needs loads of skill, commitment and big balls. It's easy to knock from the armchair but ask the guy that had a chunk of his elbow worn away or the nearly endless number of riders who had offs over the weekend if it's too controlled. If the bikes were that tech savy no one would fall off.
All it means is they can go faster with more predictability, they still end up pushing and often go past the limit. This is where it's totally different to the cars, if those guys get it wrong they normally just spin off, whereas the guys on the bikes still bounce down the bitumen looking more like rag doll when they get it wrong.

oldfart

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 07:48:17 pm »
Not too sure what the power to wieght factor is , but it looked pretty impressive ( power slide ) on TV.
I agree they have got balls to be riding those weapons at such speed  :)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 07:50:39 pm »
but doing power slides at close to Km/h on bitumen still needs loads of skill, commitment and big balls. It's easy to knock from the armchair but ask the guy that had a chunk of his elbow worn away or the nearly endless number of riders who had offs over the weekend if it's too controlled. If the bikes were that tech savy no one would fall off.

Ditto pmc57
Actually lucky we got to see it at all- as mx racing this weekend was on the Saturday,and TV racing on Sunday-what more could you want  ;D   8)  
Best is in the West !!

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:59 pm »
I ment to say 300km/hr, my brain was ahead of my typing
pmc57

dave

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 08:28:52 pm »
The death of the 500cc 2 strokers marked the beginning of the end of my interest .......Nothing against Stoner, Vale, Pederosa and a couple more, they're good riders, but the rest of the pack are pretty bloody ordinary. Wouldn't it be great if we could replicate those great GP battles from the 80's and 90's where any of five or six riders were capable of winning at any time. 

Hey Firko I totally agree! There's never been anything as special as seeing Scwantz, Rainey (my favourite), Lawson, Gardiner, Doohan, Beattie, even Spencer and Kocinski a few times.

TooFastTim

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:46 pm »
Watching the race I was struck by how ragged Casey looked and how smooth Rossi looked. Casey was fighting the bike Rossi just sitting there in the earlier part of the race. Also Casey was lighting up his rear tyre very early on. I was surprised that it lasted. I suppose Rossi was too. I dunno whether the difference in styles was due to rider ir the fact that Duke is, apparently, an absolute bitch.

Could Rossi have reeled him in? Pointless really. Rossi's a savvy bugger, Casey had a point to prove and with Lorenzo out why take a chance? Anyway Casey got away in the last ten laps.

Before you guys start throwing furniture at me, I'm a Rossi fan. He's the best thing to happen to bike racing since Sheene. Stoner would be my next bet, along with Edwards. Gotta love Colin. Calls a spade a fu$%ng shovel does Colin.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 09:37:50 pm »
Whats the age difference between Casey & Rossi ?
cheers
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 09:52:32 pm »
Casey-24, Vale-30

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 09:59:51 pm »
Awesome i was trackside all weekend at the Island and Casey was on a  mission and Rossi had a few goes at him but couldnt get past and that powerslide on the last lap down Bass staight was unforkinbelievable . Go Stoner .
Hilly
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 10:02:43 pm »

Colin has to have headline because he would get no press at all otherwise ;D A end of year test had the Ducati wheelstanding and wheelspinning in 6th at about 250+ kmph. The tester was then asked "Do you want to do a practice start?" (shrug) "well just press that button, hold the clutch in, nail the throttle to the stop and then feed the clutch out, but just keep your finger on the button until your moving"..........Errr no thanks.
It's not that different to a F1 car pmc, try and tell Masa that an your completely safe in an F1 tub.
An oldie but a goodie
Jesus only loves two strokes

TooFastTim

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 10:06:47 pm »
How the hell did he see where he was going?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 10:14:20 pm »
How the hell did he see where he was going?

that's what I said/asked while watching and hubby said "look at the head movement in the front mounted camera"....... before the next corner,he was already looking ahead.
mind you he should have neck muscles like a rugby player. :o
ultra fit and ultra switched on...no wonder Casey had a few days off earlier in the piece.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:16:02 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 08:09:22 am »