Author Topic: HEAVEN PLANNING AHEAD  (Read 13787 times)

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: HEAVEN PLANNING AHEAD
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2009, 08:26:40 pm »
I think you might be onto something Stig! Gotta love statistics. Maybe 6 rounds and drop your worst for the point score. It appears the riders are there by your figures. Less meetings might equal a bigger turnout.
On the small fields in some classes, combine some classes again , it is always more fun for the  rider. Is there a more tedious sight or task than watching or flagging a 3 bike field?

ted

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2009, 08:54:54 pm »
Yep....F...ing WORK

Offline Husky Parts

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 12:04:52 am »
I say we should have at least 12-15 rounds all close to Sydney on good tracks and the members who front up the most and are consistant all year should then win the championship.This dropping rounds is bullshit.If you want points work for them.There are a lot of members who go to Louee and Appin and Mt Kiera and Dapto for extra rides ,myself being one of them.So if members can  still go to all these places  it means Heaven is not catering for its members needs.So I propose Heaven change to 12 rounds to start off and then see if 15 is workable
Fernando Franco                                                                         

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 09:22:26 am »
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there Fernando?????
Dan

shoey

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 09:25:45 am »
Fernando

Thats extreme even by your standards.

Have a rational think about your statements and get back to us.

Offline czeck

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2009, 11:04:33 am »
hey Fernando

go for it, maybe we should race 3 weekends out of every month ??????!!!!!!!!!!!????????

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:27 pm »
OK, I am going to preface my entry into this discussion by saying that I am not longer able to ride, but did quite a lot in old days and also have extensive experience in running clubs and events.

Firstly, it's great that there is an open debate about Heaven's future direction.  :)

My 2c worth would be as follows:

I am in the "less is more" camp with regard to the number of race meetings that are run during a year.  For me, I think probably 6 championship rounds for motocross is more than enough and yes, you should be able to drop at least one round to allow for member's not being able to attend for whatever personal reason.

I also believe that there should be a stronger focus on the tracks used being Vintage bike (and vintage rider) friendly.  Modern MX facilities are generally not well suited to Vintage bikes, mainly in the area of having steep upramps on jumps, so they should be used only as a last resort.  Tracks that probably fall in this category are Clarence and Mt Kembla.  While it is a complete pain in the rear to go out and track down new race locations, it's not impossible to do and that is something that the committee at Heaven possibly should do.  Obviously, the closer to Sydney these new locations are, the better and more of an attraction to rider they will be.  This is especially important to preserve the participation of the older pre 75 bikes, I feel.

Another aspect of having a long term successful club is the social aspect.  Having a club to only organise MX races is a very narrow focus.  Thus there should be social or "fun" events organsied during the year, as well as regular club general meetings at a social venue.  Examples of fun events could be:

• 4 or 6 hour team MX event
  • Vinduro Poker Run
  • Gymkana
  • Social BBQ / Presentation Night
  • Summer Sailing/Surfing Day
  • Golf Day
  • Bowling Night (yes)

The more someone gets out of a club, the more he/she is likely to recommended it to his mates, I feel.  Social events can also involve the other half.

Another important aspect is Promotion of Events and the club in general.  Firko has already pointed out things that were done in the past which could still work today in promoting the club.  Of course, let us here at VMX know about upcoming events - but don't do it 3 weeks before the event, do it 6-9 months before.  ;)

Lastly, timing of events is critical.  A lot of clubs take no account whatsoever of what other clubs are doing and what "big" events are on the calender for the year.  It's not sufficient to say "we've been running this event at this time of the year forever" and expect everyone else to not schedule a competing event on the same weekend or indeed the weekend before.  Sometimes, you need to be flexible to allow for specific one-off circumstances where another event gets scheduled on or near "your" weekend.  The key is to communicate with other clubs and coordinate the calender with them.  That way all will benefit from maximum participation, including Heaven of course.  ;D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2009, 03:32:11 pm »
I absolutely agree re the tracks Ajay. In fact, I hereby propose HEAVEN run just 4 natural terrain events a year - in New Zealand!   ;D

oz555ktm

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2009, 09:57:07 pm »
My 2c 

So VMX Mag is going to do all of that a CD7  its is going to be worth going ..

Conondale is a long way from Sydney ..

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:07:25 pm by oz555ktm »

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2009, 11:34:17 pm »
My 2c 

So VMX Mag is going to do all of that a CD7  its is going to be worth going ..

::)

Well actually yes.  Seeing as you mention it...we will be doing most of those things.

Less events?  Yup. (only one)

Great tracks? Yup.  (two)

Social aspect?  Yup. (three days of social activites)

Promotion?  Yup. (flyers were circulated at the Moto GP in Melbourne already)

Timing?  Yup. (June long weekend, away from the nats)

Yes, Conondale is a long way from Sydney...but well worth it!   ;)

So I guess it could indeed be claimed that we practice what we preach!  ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2009, 12:17:42 am »
  • 4 or 6 hour team MX event
  • Vinduro Poker Run
  • Gymkana
  • Social BBQ / Presentation Night
  • Summer Sailing/Surfing Day
  • Golf Day
  • Bowling Night (yes)

you can make your own entertainment at CD7.With the lawn & the creek on your door, anything is possible  :o   ;D    ooops sorry ,back to Heaven planning  :-X
Best is in the West !!

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2009, 06:22:24 pm »
No it's not !!  :D. It's just a short drive up the road  ;). You N.S.W (& A.C.T) guys are soft  ;D.
I have driven more than twice as far to get to Bulahdelah , only to be terrorised in the night by the bark of the legendary Crawford River grappa bunyip  :o.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:46:59 pm by Husky500evo »

Rosco400

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2009, 04:49:26 pm »
Did anything come to fruition regarding the maintaining of the website or the set up of a new one after the weekend Dan. If Graeme snatches the home page, Heaven will need a new link up sooner rather than later. Would be a good time to start now although I dont have the skills or knowledge :)