Author Topic: Leatt neck braces  (Read 10640 times)

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Leatt neck braces
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:36:53 pm »
I brought a leatt brace last week and tried it out on Sunday at our grass track it felt uncomfortable at first but after 10 races I started to get used to it. Second last race I had a big off highsiding myself and driving my head straight into the ground, picked myself up abit dazed but perfictly ok, I know it sounds silly but what if I wasnt wearing a brace would I have been sorer or even werse.
I think eventualy leatt braces will become a must have for all riders senior and junior what price do you put on your neck/life.I would be interested in see what vmx riders think about this.

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Leatt neck braces
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:11:41 pm »
I would have a leatt brace but they wont fit my dainese body armour. Instead I wear a EVS neck roll. Tried it out a few times & works great.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:18:59 pm »
at the Nats recently I had a small "lay down and rest" on the back section of the track - real minor but was actually surprised how much the trousers/pants/nylons didn't protect me - then you start to think what if..........  I would be interested in hearing more about the neck braces?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

felix7

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:28:25 pm »
I bought a EVS brace ($299 Clem Nunn Honda) because it can be dangerous at the back of the pack when you get lapped by the high-speed riders. It comes with a crappy tie-down system (which doesn't appear to work) but I slip my body armour over the top which holds it nicely in place. But it's not an easy task to get the brace on first and then pull the armour-jersey over the top, especially the back bit.
Also, reconsider your pullover-style top because the neck brace needs a zip-up front (or at least zip-up neck) to get the jersey over the brace.
But it weighs zip and you get used to the small limit in peripheral movement. There is almost no lateral head movement and limited yaw movement 'cause the full-face helmet collects the rim of the EVS.
Worth the money? I don't know about the wallet damage but I feel less vulnerable. Doesn't make me a better rider, though - Felix

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:39:45 pm »
Thanks for the links Rossco,I was told by an ambo that a guy my size is more likely to snap there neck when I hit the ground then a lighter person just due to the weight of my body on my neck makes sense

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:57:01 am »
I have been running a EVS neck roll for a few years when the LEATT came out, and then bought one from BigK. i think that it is ( next to your helmet) the single most important piece of safety gear you could have. I was working at the broadford round of the national mx series a last year/year  before and saw Carig ANDERSON have a huge off on one of the uphill jumps which resulted in his LEATT brace being broken. Who knows what would have been the result had he not had it on. Sorry, but for me the "its not comfortable" ,just is not a valid excuse-get used to it. Neck braces might not have saved Bronte Holland or Noel Clarke, we will never know, but as i get older i just wear every piece of protective gear i can when i get on the bike.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:03:33 am »
...as i get older i just wear every piece of protective gear i can when i get on the bike.

Pretty much how I feel.

My Leatt Adventure is a bit of a pain to get on and off, but I don't notice it at all when I'm on the bike.
I can't seen any reason to not wear it.

There was a time when helmets were seen as overkill too...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:20:39 am »
I would have a leatt brace but they wont fit my dainese body armour. Instead I wear a EVS neck roll. Tried it out a few times & works great.

It should fit as I wear a Leatt with my Dianese. You just slip the rear arm of the brace under the top of the back protector.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:18:41 am »
BUY A BRACE... ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.  I HAVE THE ALPINESTARS BIONIC BRACE AND LOVE IT, HAVE ALSO HAD THE LEATTE BRACE AND THAT WAS SWEET TOO. ALPINESTARS HAVE A CHEAPER VERSION THATS JUST BEEN RELEASED IN THE US, WORTH A LOOK FOR SURE. ONCE THEY ARE FITTED PROPERLY, YOU DONT KNOW YOU ARE WEARING ONE. 8)
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:03:12 pm »
Do they fit with any kind of body armour, or do you have to buy new armour to suit?

The Alpine Stars version sounds like it minimises collarbone injury in the event of smaller incidents. This makes them more attractive to me.

http://www.btosports.com/p/ASTARS-BNS

Tex

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 03:07:05 pm »
I know it sounds dumb to say that I can't really afford a Leatt, but it's true. Although I see the Adventure is considerably cheaper. I've done a lot of reading and I think the EVS Evolution sounds about par with the Adventure for $100 less, so I am going to get one of those. Anyone got experience with the EVS?

mainline

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 03:44:34 pm »
Graeme,

I picked up an EVS brace recently. It was a bit of a pain to use with the 661 pressure suit I had, and the idea of having to leave it on all the time if it was hooked up under the neck of my shirt didn't appeal.

I ended up with a mates old fox body armour, and like others have said it fits under the body armour and everything sits in place pretty comfortably, and you can take it off easily between races.

It seems really well made, and within 5 mins you honestly don't notice you're wearing it.

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »
I use an EVS evolution, won't go onto a track without it now and most times use it if trailriding. Don't notice I've got it on when racing but find it a bit restrictive when looking up down and around on the trail. At less than $300 its the cheapest way of getting significant neck protection. Dont hesitate. Get one.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 06:09:50 pm »
I originally had a leatt when they first came out, but tried a friends alpine star brace and never went back to the leatt.
The alpinestar feels far more comfortable and provides much better movement, although fitting body armour is a problem.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 09:50:04 pm »
I know it sounds dumb to say that I can't really afford a Leatt, but it's true. Although I see the Adventure is considerably cheaper. I've done a lot of reading and I think the EVS Evolution sounds about par with the Adventure for $100 less, so I am going to get one of those. Anyone got experience with the EVS?

A mate and his kids wear them and say they are great. His son had a big over the bars head first into a hard pack track a few weekends ago, the ambulance officers said he was a super lucky boy that he was wearing neck protection. He broke collarbone and cracked shoulder. Could of been much worse.  :-\
Maico's, the only way to go.