Author Topic: xr engine  (Read 1182 times)

cxs58

xr engine
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:14:15 pm »
Searching for a Honda XR engine - either 250 or 400cc - preferably the later the model the better, but I am open to any model, plus I will consider any mechanical condition.
Can be contacted on 0409 721 005 or (07) 3901 6911.
Thanks Craig

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: xr engine
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:10:04 pm »
What are you wanting to use the XR for-vmx or vinduro or just to ride? as I have been told that some chinese honda copies go very close and come with elec start etc... which makes for a very cheap training bike for kids. 

cxs58

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:34:49 pm »
I am wanting to use the XR engine to ride, with the possiblity of a resto in the future.
Call me a snob, but I am too much of a purist to use a chinese engine in a quality japanese bike.
Thanks for the info though EML.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 07:48:55 pm »
I currently have 2 XRs on the mend a 200 and a 250 but it was suggested to me to go the chinese route just to get them up and running and my son would prefer the electric leg(kids are like that) but I'm like you and still for a proper resto.
Funny how the bikes always outlast their motors!!

DR

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 09:54:42 pm »
what happened to the good ol' XL350 Craig?

cxs58

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:36:52 am »
I agree with you EML about the electric leg thing - how I wished I had one of those on some of my recent trail rides.
Nearly pumped my right leg off one time trying to start the XR - guess I should have checked the choke lever position first.

cxs58

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:48:38 am »
Well it's like this Doc - the missus - need I say more.
I had 2 road going BMW's, an 04 XR250R and 5 xl's, 250 and 350 at various stages of repair. Sold the nearly completed Motosport on ebay to a fellow VMXer by the name of Ray Burrows - nice chap so I offered him all the rest of my bikes and various new and used parts at a very good deal and he cleaned the shed out.
Sold both the BMW's and bought a new G650Xmoto and still, still, still regret selling the XL's.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:41:29 am »
It would be very interesting to see how many XL/XR where made in the early days as they were the main stay for such a long time. I wonder how many actually came to Oz or even NZ for that matter and how many are in farm sheds to this day. The US must have thousands of the buggers in all sizes and I particularly recall the intro of the XL175- touted as the best thing since sliced bread and a few guys ran them in 250cc motocross for a while 'cause shiot they were fun to ride.

cxs58

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:48:15 am »
There must be hundreds stashed away in farm sheds and under houses that haven't seen the light of day for a while EML.
I know a few farmers in NZ that have a few in there sheds - retired once the quads hit the scene.
Pretty much the same thing over here accordind to some Ozzie farmers.
Most of my mates in Oz have been brought up on the farm riding an XL or XR.
My wifes brother in law owns a farm just out of Toowoomba and he has two of em (bastard won't let me touch either of em).
Na he's a good bloke - he now runs quads on the farm instead.