Author Topic: Dave thorpe back on a works Honda RC500.  (Read 4187 times)

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Dave thorpe back on a works Honda RC500.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 03:39:05 am »
The greatest  Twinshock Evo event of 2010  11/12 sept Farleigh castle MXdN "The re Match"

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 06:41:39 am »
Makes me want to go and buy a CR500, might just ride one of Brads first ;D, ya cant beat the sound of a big 2 stroke!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 07:17:28 am »
Nice! That looks like a great track too.

Check out some of the racing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuXyKDCaG3w&feature=channel

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 08:09:07 am »
How about THIS great ride. Gee the big Husky has got some grunt. Funny how the POV helmet cam remains so stable when everything else is shaking about.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:32:56 am »
Yep, that's pretty neat. Those 500 Huskies are FAST. If I could go round corners and over jumps I'd have done OK on mine, but I found it a cheater bike on the straights and off the start! But at 7 minutes you can see one of my pet hates... If you stalled the thing, you might as well just give up. I learned to just push it off the track, take my time and get it going. Any attempt at doing it quickly was doomed to failure and utter exhaustion. Get off, fold out the kicker, hope you had a bit of high ground to use etc etc. What a dopey idea. Very good bike though, almost wish I'd kept it.

And I'll say it again, that Farleigh track is great. Love to ride on it, for sure.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 10:38:14 am »
That track is sooooooo good. If we tried to build a track like that sombody would start hitting little white balls at you.

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 04:57:44 pm »
start planning your trip now guys then it will be easy.

Power Stand

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 05:16:43 pm »
Nice bit of footage and plenty of good youtube links. Must say like his powerstands  :D
The bike isn’t an RC500 but it looks like an 88-89. The RC500’s had the pipe on the other side of the bike to a stocker.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »
Nice bit of footage and plenty of good youtube links. Must say like his powerstands  :D
The bike isn’t an RC500 but it looks like an 88-89. The RC500’s had the pipe on the other side of the bike to a stocker.
I'm pretty sure it's an RC500 owned by Dave King.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 08:47:27 pm »

Check the swing arm and triple clamps not production,

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 09:09:26 pm »

Check the swing arm and triple clamps not production,

Forks also.The RC 's in the late 80's were not quite like those of the early and mid eighties.Not one off /completely different to the production bikes.Eric Geboers said in an interview years later how dissappointde he was when he first saw his 87 250.He said it looked like the developement had gone backwards.The works bike ban in the US was the main reason.
Thorpe's and Liesks bikes of 89 looked very similar to production unlike the pre 85 RC 's which didn't resemble any prod bike or sometimes even your teamamtes RC.

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 12:15:58 am »
the bike is 100% RC 500.  Dont let the stock plastics fool you ,this is no production based bike.  The bottom end of the RC motor was the same from 84 til 92 .Everything is hand made including the cables  the lever clamps are billet and the levers run of bearings.  The stock parts on the bike are f and r mudgaurd and 2x sidepanels .  Honda did a great job of making this bike at a glance look like the one you bought in the showroom.
I bought the bike direct from Dave ,  when he finished his legends laps i rushed over to his team truck to see what he thought,  as he pulled of his helmet he had a grin from ear to ear and said "i forgot how powerfull that bike was"  not shown on the film is dave doing the uphill jump 1st lap and blind and overjumping by 1m.   However all was not perfect, after spending ££££££££££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on restoring the bike i sent him out with a un pumped up front tyre .   

It was a magical peice of Theatre putting dave back on the bike he had a double win on at the same venue 20 years earlier,  check out the crowd applauding dave.

Jeff leisk has 11/12 sept 2010 already in his diary.

Power Stand

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 02:50:25 pm »
I will happily stand corrected, I haven’t been up close, and personal with the bike, event or riders it looks like I over looked a few points when viewing the bike. I was thinking more of the earlier models, bugger. Looks like the 89 factory bike had the right-handed pipe and yes, the clamps and swing arm are different for that year. Keep up the good work. :)

I will shut up and go out to the shed and start working on my 86!!!!!!!! :-[