Author Topic: Mmmmmmm, yummy..........  (Read 14302 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Mmmmmmm, yummy..........
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 09:11:11 pm »
Mr Firko, are Patterson-Cheney anything to do with Cheney, jus a very unusual name and they have a helmet and googles as their logo??

firko

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 10:42:42 pm »
I had to look up who Patterson Cheney were..Apparently they're a Holden Dealer amongst other makes. To answer your question...No, Simon Cheney took over his old man Erics frame building business when the old codger died. I doubt he sold any Holdens, especially in Hampshire, UK. ;D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 10:05:20 am »
I still like the way they used to buy one model of bike-no matter what make and then decide to either road race, scramble or trial it .

I think that is what made the Enduro bikes really appealing in the 80s, if you were a struggling apprentice like me you could ride your PE175 to work all week, then ride 70 kms on it to an MX meet....race the local MX and cruise home. Never road raced it or changed the piston for that matter. 

So bikes like the TT500 and the XR500 really were go anywhere do anything like the Brit stuff before them.
formerly Marc.com

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 05:25:34 pm »
A TT500 or XR is a far stretch from a 350 Matchy but you;re on the right trail. So why no roadracing on the PE?? that long range tank would have suited the Castrol 6 hour!! lol

Curly3

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 05:47:48 pm »
The Beso No6 looks to me like an ESO or early Jawa bottom end with one of the numerous 4 Valve conversions on it?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 07:11:08 pm »
A TT500 or XR is a far stretch from a 350 Matchy but you;re on the right trail. So why no roadracing on the PE?? that long range tank would have suited the Castrol 6 hour!! lol

Yep race the PE on Sunday, ride to work on Monday, no wonder i was so slow, scared of breaking something.

My mate won an off road hill climb on a Ducati 851 with knobbies....legend

formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 07:22:01 pm »
The Beso No6 looks to me like an ESO or early Jawa bottom end with one of the numerous 4 Valve conversions on it?
The 'Beso' has a Briggo top end which is a bit dumb as Briggos didn't come out until the mid 70's which buggers the bike for pre '65. With a stock head it'd make a good pre '65er.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:16 pm »
Mr Firko, are Patterson-Cheney anything to do with Cheney, jus a very unusual name and they have a helmet and googles as their logo??

This company used to be known as Bill Patterson Holden. Bill was one of Australia's top resident race drivers of the fifties and early sixties, thus explaining their helmet and goggles logo, and the company was for years a strong sponsor in Aussie motorsport long after his retirement from competition. The Cheney addition to the company name is much more recent.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 11:07:59 am »
Thanks GD6, that clears that up.
Back to the Beso, do you recall the Bergmeiers raced an outfit with a 500 Jap or Westlake or Eso or some such thing- I recall it was very quick out the gate. We finished second to it at Toowomba(Echo Valley) in 1982. We were on the DR500 with alloy chair.

Allbrit

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 11:37:36 am »
Cheney Motors were a long established car dealer in Melbourne selling Vauxhall and later Holden vehicles.
Their headquarters was in Flinders Street near the Herald Sun building. The business was sold to Bill Patterson, and the names amalgamated.

Cheney, Sydney Albert (1883 - 1968)
Birth:
22 March 1883, Smithfield, South Australia, Australia
Death:
22 April 1968, Toorak, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Religious Influence:
Baptist
autobiographer/memoirist
car importer and assembler
motor dealer
service station/garage owner
Life Summary
Resources
Abbreviations
CHENEY, SYDNEY ALBERT (1883-1968), car salesman, was born on 22 March 1883 at Smithfield, South Australia, fifth son of Samuel Cheney, labourer, and his wife Mary Ann, née Goodger. He left the local state school at 12, became a farm-hand and then worked in a fruit-shop in Adelaide. He joined a Baptist young men's Bible class, of which he was secretary for eight years, studied fitting, turning and drawing at the South Australian School of Mines and Industries and took lessons in accountancy and commercial law. When 20 he put an advertisement in a newspaper, offering his services free to an employer for three months. The coachbuilders, Duncan & Fraser, engaged him to sell Oldsmobile cars at £2 a week and commission; he became the State's first car-salesman. He switched to selling Argyll cars and, for publicity, sensationally drove to the top of the Mount Gambier crater; in 1905 he took part in a Melbourne-Sydney reliability trial. Aided by his skill in conjuring, card tricks and recounting yarns, he sold many cars to farmers on Yorke Peninsula. On 4 May 1907 at the Baptist church, Mount Barker, he married Marjorie Olive Fidler.

After selling Fords by the hundred, Cheney resigned from Duncan & Fraser in 1914 and went to the United States of American to seek a Dodge agency. He won it by pertinacity, floated the Cheney Motor Co. Ltd in 1915, had 130 employees next year, and made three more trips to the U.S.A. in the next three years. In 1917 the Federal government imposed a wartime ban on imported completed cars but allowed unrestricted entry of chassis. Alert to the opportunity of developing a new Australian industry, Cheney approached Holden & Frost, saddlers, and enthused H. J. and (Sir) E. W. Holden who agreed to build Dodge bodies and formed a new company. The results, in the long term, were to be momentous. Early profits were so great that Cheney voluntarily abandoned the part of the original agreement whereby his share was 1 per cent of turnover.

In 1920 Cheney decided to take up a Chevrolet agency, left his Adelaide company and founded S. A. Cheney Pty Ltd in Melbourne; he soon climbed Mount Buffalo in thirty-seven minutes in top gear to demonstrate what a Chevrolet could do. In 1922 in South Melbourne he set up the first assembly line in the Australian motor industry. However, when General Motors themselves opened assembly works in 1926, Cheney switched to selling Austin and Morris cars, launched an advertising campaign to 'Buy British and be proud of it!', and persuaded William Morris (Lord Nuffield) to visit Australia to see why his cars were unsuited to local conditions.

Early in the Depression, after successful efforts to place his employees elsewhere, Cheney closed down his business in good order, and had a year's holiday. He then began selling used cars and in 1932 took an agency for Vauxhall cars and Bedford trucks, which he continued until the late 1950s when he finally took a Holden agency. He had also operated Sanderson & Cheney Pty Ltd as a large service station enterprise. During World War II he was active, with governmental support, in promoting gas-producers and charcoal production. In Adelaide in 1965 he published his autobiography From Horse to Horsepower.

Predeceased by his wife, Cheney died on 22 April 1968 at Toorak and was cremated. He was survived by two sons, and a daughter who for many years was Australian golf champion. His estate was sworn for probate at $135,477.

Select Bibliography
C. Foster, Industrial Development in Australia 1920-1930 (Canb, 1964); L. J. Hartnett, Big Wheels and Little Wheels (Melb, 1964); Age (Melbourne), 13 Apr 1968. More on the resources

Author: L. J. Hartnett

Print Publication Details: L. J. Hartnett, 'Cheney, Sydney Albert (1883 - 1968)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 7, Melbourne University Press, 1979, p. 631.

Footer information  (A-Z) Chelmsford, third Baron (1868 - 1933) (A-Z) Cheong Cheok Hong (1853? - 1928) 

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 04:07:20 pm »
Russel Bergmier started out in 74 on his dads T100 triumph wasp and 850 Norton wasp to cover both the Junior and Senior sidecar classes. He went to CCMs 500s and an 850 weslake in the later part of the 70s and continued into the eighties. He used his dad's 600 Jap in a dirt track frame which was called the Arab and his Dad raced one of the first Lindsay Urquart centre hub steering frames with a cb750 honda motor at the Avalon International road race meet. Ron sold most of his gear off in the late eighties which I picked yp the dirt track and rtoad racing sidecar as well as a few ccm motors. Wish I could have afforded the Brough Superior that was alos in the shed in mint condition. Russel drove speedway cars for quite a while and raced vmx with me in the early ninties. If someone can lend him a sidecar for any of the big meets I'm sure the old four fingered bandit could be enticed back. (lost his right thumb feeding the cable into a winch when he was 16). I gave both the sidecar outfits less motors to the 2 Peters who had Beaudesert Motorcycles in 1994 but am unsure what happened to them as I moved to Nth Qld.

Dave, why sell the metisse you built? Sometimes you just have to keep a slice of heaven.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 06:43:29 pm »
Thanks Rosco, that info fills in alot of blanks. It must have been a 500CCM that we raced against at Toowomba. I'll call Beaudesert m/cs tomorrow to see if they know where those chairs went. I also know that the Carline store at Beauey has/had a family link to Ton Van Heugten the Dutch world champ and he visited them a couple of years before he passed away. Small world sometimes. 

albrid-3

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2009, 10:27:39 pm »
Rosco, I have`nt heard from you in years, the last time l was talking and camping next to you and Russell Bergmeier was at fish greek. Vic. To answer your question why l sold my Metisse, My wife and l went our seperate ways, and they where tuff times for me. cheers Dave    (PS. good to here from you Rosco, have you still got the Maicos.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:22:26 pm by albrid-3 »

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 08:18:05 pm »
Hey David
Sorry to hear about the split, obviously makes sense. Yep still got a couple of maicos and the CCM and Metisse garage queens. Bummer I didn't catch up with you at Conondale, only just read you were there. Always feel sorry for Russell, his first ex wife burnt all his photos and sashes and had all his trophies buried at the tip, not flash when you get to be an Aussie champ. Maybe sometimes better being an old hack. Loved all the photos you post, brings back heaps of memories. Have just converted all my slides and prints to digital copies and when son shows me how to use photo bucket I'll put a few on from the old Vicy tracks, back in the day and also some of the early VMX stuff.  Was glad to see you were still around as there are not too many of the originals from the late 80s/early 90s of VMX still about. I see that Johnny Selva is still crankin it and Drakie becomes a bigger Legend every year. Gotta admit I really felt a symmetry with his article in the latest VMX. Do you know if Mick Murnane stil has any interst? Have some of your early newsletter, must be a real horder. If up in NQ give me a tinkle you will be well looked after. stay well and we will catchup in the future.
Rosco

albrid-3

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 09:27:33 pm »
Hello Rosco
That will be great to catch up in the future, brake ups can destroy a man sometimes, but one has to move on. and that is what l did all good now. cheers David