Author Topic: should I be cleaning these ports up a bit?  (Read 1158 times)

mainline

should I be cleaning these ports up a bit?
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:20:20 am »
I've got the barrel off to clean up the top so the head stops leaking, and the ports look a bit rough and ready. The mob who've rebored it cleaned up some of them, but further in they're still fairly rough.

Should I be polishing these up a bit with the dremel while it's apart?

the other question is whether this is an acceptable finish from the company that did the job? should I just be taking it back?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:16:44 am by mainline »

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: should I be cleaning these ports up a bit?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:04:32 pm »
gotta wonder what they were doing in your ports when you asked for a rebore.
unless you asked them to give it a clean up of course.
i'd be wanting to take a few measurements to determine the "blow down" time in degrees. ;D before i got gun happy with the dremel.
"flat bickie"

mainline

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:20:27 pm »
the port edges had a couple of small chips, so they were going to clean them up while they had the barrel.

Is "blow down" time something to do with Popeye?  Can I buy a measuring device on ebay?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:48:04 pm »
The port windows should be chamfered that's a must a pic would help. The 'work' seems to consist of running the tool along the duct wall and knife edging the transfer divider( ::) ) will account for 3/5ths of SFA of performance.Blowdown refers to the duration is degrees from exhaust port open to transfer open, measured with verniers.
Jesus only loves two strokes

mainline

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 01:52:24 pm »
after having a think about it, there's a good chance that the port job in question was already there and just looks fresh after everything was blasted clean.

The port windows have definately been chamfered.

I think I'll just put it back together, there doesn't seem to be anything too drastically wrong in there, and the Dremel doesn't fit ;D

Cheers guys