Author Topic: steering had bearings  (Read 5246 times)

Offline suzuki 400

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
steering had bearings
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:56:29 pm »
has anyone had success putting tapered bearings in steering heads on rm465 or others  i found on mine the dust seal wont go on as the beaing outer is bigger and the top bearing wont go down far enough to allow enough thread to show ,there are ways around this but im a mechanic not machinest soi dont have a spare lathe sitting out the back ;D

Offline suzuki 400

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: steering had bearings
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 10:15:35 pm »
that should be head  ;D ;Dsorry i got a good laugh from that  :D

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:02:36 am »
I take it you are talking about a  All Balls head set kit .....     I have experience the same problem
ended up using bottom taper bearing & seal and re- installing Suzuki top roller and dust cap  ;)
Put your bearings side by side and compare hieghts  ;)    as you have mentioned a lathe is the only way to solve this problem.

TwoTees

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:11:39 am »
The lower one is easy but I searched high and low for a taper bearing to suit the top of my 250x. I think it was the outside dimension that was impossible to get.
It sounds like you already have some bearings. Have a look at some of the documents here and look for thinner bearing.

http://www.nsk.com/products/rollerbearing/tapered/#tab4

I had to reuse the old loose ball type in the end in mine for the top.

Chris

Edit: Old fart just beat me to it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:13:15 am by TwoTees »

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 06:52:37 pm »
That little shoulder on the steering stem that stops the new tapered bearing sitting down any further has to be moved down another 5-7mm and then you will get the thread needed at the top- and yes it is a lathe job.

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 07:07:49 pm »
Which brings to mention, why do they sell a product full well knowing it requires machine work to make it work  ??? no mention of this in thier spiel  ::)

Offline suzuki 400

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:35:27 pm »
it,s looking like i will end up using the original ball set up at the top ,and to save other people the hassle of being ripped off for a bearing they can,t use the bottom one is 32006x about 13-14 dollars (may fit other rm model not just 465)i will go to the local guys at SKF up here in Cairns and see what they can do about finding a bearing for the top( balls type),these guys grew up with rm,s it,s and pe,s so they go the xtra mile and rarely come up with nothing cheers and thanks for the comments  ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 07:59:07 pm »
sounds like a problem right rom when All Balls built the kit. Bottom line, dont use the All Balls kit and use a generic brand like the kits from Link - http://www.linkint.com.au/view/page/1.html
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:15:41 pm »
Same ole problem  there  Leith  and also with Pyramid kits .....been there done that  :(
pretty sure they all  source from same place

kevwrx

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 09:11:13 pm »
Which brings to mention, why do they sell a product full well knowing it requires machine work to make it work  ??? no mention of this in thier spiel  ::)
I knew exactly what the contents of this thread would be before i opened it
F%#king All Balls and Pyramid kits are shite, i had exactly the same problem with my RM250.........

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 09:15:29 pm »
Ok try Moose bearings then. i got a Moose brand kit from www.denniskirk.com for my PE250 and they are fine. They are the exact same taper tollers, from memory they were made in Korea.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 09:51:19 pm »
Press out the steerer tube, you need to do it anyway to get the lower bearing off it, have someone machine an extra 8mm down the tube and use the All Balls kit and you will never look back. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum, myself included that will do it for you. I have 9 Suzuki's that have i have done this to, it's just the price to pay from going from a ball bearing system to a tapered roller system.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 09:52:41 pm »
Just buy a lathe.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 10:01:05 pm »
I have never had to press out a steerer tube to remove a lower bearing even when there is not lip to get a puller onto it or to knock it off with a chisel. What i do is get an angle grinder and cut in two cuts in the bearing cone, then i have a nice groove to knock the cone off with a cold chisel.

Offline suzuki 400

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 10:38:36 pm »
Lozza i will come round and borrow yours  ;D anyway for now it,s a new tapered bearings at the bottom and thanks to my skf dealer i will keep with the balls on top as he supplied a life times worth for free ,just the waste of cash that bugs me  >:( ,however as i also have 2 pe,s a  250 and 400 reacon i will get the 82 465 shocks and triples to fit  that which i will machine weld or turn down what ever to get it to fit ,i have the triples allready i just need the forks