Author Topic: Yamaha swingarm and fork resto question  (Read 3724 times)

Offline philthy

• Novice
    • View Profile
Yamaha swingarm and fork resto question
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »
Hi,my 79YZ250f resto is underway.Does anyone know the best way to gain an original looking swingarm,were they painted from new or polished and clearcoated,which is the best method?Same with the forks?My swingarm and forks are a bit shabby so want to get the best result as this is a ground up restoration project.Hoping someone has done it before and got good results!   
yz125d yz250g yz250f it250j rm125b rm125a

mainline

Re: Yamaha swingarm and fork resto question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 12:53:56 pm »
i may be wrong but I think the swingarm was anodised silver, while the fork legs had a machined fiinish rather than polished.

Nathan's mate has restored/is restoring YZ's and if you want to know exactly how to do it have a squiz here

http://www.yz125d.blogspot.com/

Depending on how far you want to go with the resto you could just strip the stuffed anodising off with some oven cleaner and sand/polish it up. I personally think the overly polished (mirror) parts look a bit overdone.

I just give the alloy parts a once over with some mag wheel polish every so often.

You can clear coat them, but given my occupation I'm not too keen on putting a clearcoat (varnish) on something that's going to be subject to abuse, cause when it chips or scratches you have to take it all off and start again. 

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:34:16 am »
the finish on your swing arm is painted silver from the factory, a metallic aluminium colour, same for the chain gaurd.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »
vht wheel paint -silver is a good match for most jap alloy great for honda 4 cases

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 04:49:00 pm »
Yes swingarms are painted the colour is called competition silver but good luck finding that I used autothane wheel silver and it looks tops. I think the forks are clear coated.

Offline philthy

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:07:03 pm »
Thanks everyone,the hubs and triple clamps have been powdercoated,and the frame is being sandblasted and painted on Friday.I will get the swingarm painted next week so will let spraypainter know the colour.Shock and forks will be back next week from Shock Treatment,and motor has been started by HPF Racing,it is all starting to come together!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 06:08:16 pm »
Yep, what rocketfrog and WMC said.  I used clear coat on my polished fork sliders and GMC metalic silver 2 pak with clear over the top.  I took the swingarm with the original paint into the paint shop to match it.  I am pretty happy with the end result.

Looking at that I am probably due for a few more progress pics  ::)

Edit - can't spell frog  :-[
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:23:57 pm by YZ250H »
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 06:14:52 pm »
Heres how mine came out.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:21:18 pm »
Shit hot WMC - is that a 125J ?

Looks like a great resto - well done

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:25:39 pm »
Thanks mate its slow going but Im getting there I"ll post more photos when I have more progress.

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 06:26:56 pm »
Sorry yes its a J.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 06:30:25 pm »
Know the feeling on the slow going part, but it is worth taking the time to get it right.  I think the 125J is my all time favourite bike for looks.  I have one in the wings waiting for attention.  Will get to it one day.  After the 50H, 125H,  and 250C.  Keep going mate and show us some progress pics as you finish her off ;).

Offline philthy

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 06:32:17 pm »
Great jobs,I'm starting to get exited,was thinking of sandblasting fork legs with low pressure and very fine media to get an even appearance and then clearcoating,now I'm not sure if I should'nt just polish and clearcoat!

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 07:23:00 pm »
Who did you get your front and rear guards off YZ Im looking buying soon and nice job on the 250 a mate had one of those years ago nice ride.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 10:01:40 am »
You can still buy them form Yamaha.  They are not correct for H model, but are the right ones for J model.  Which reminds me I should buy some for myself.