Author Topic: Barrabool  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Barrabool
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:39:03 pm »
It looks like Barrabool will live on!

Media release
                                 From the Minister for Sport and Recreation

Tuesday, 8 September, 2009

FUTURE OF POPULAR MOTORCYCLE COMPLEX SECURED

Surf Coast’s McAdam Park Motorcycling Complex will continue to be an important sporting facility for many years to come after the Minister for Sport James Merlino announced the Brumby Labor Government would commit $1.27 million to the project.

Mr Merlino said McAdam Park was a renowned international and national motorcycling facility and the Victorian Government was proud of its involvement to keep it that way.

“I’m pleased to be here today to confirm an overall Victorian Government commitment of $1.27 million to secure the future of this terrific sporting facility,” Mr Merlino said.

“Our Government is proud to support this project and delighted that Surf Coast Shire, the City of Greater Geelong, Motorcycle Australia and various motorcycle clubs have also committed funding towards the acquisition of McAdam Park. “

Mr Merlino said securing the funding for the site was an important first step, and the Government would continue working with all parties in the months ahead to ensure the long-term sustainability of the facility.

“There’s no doubt this is an important community asset and the Victorian Government is delighted to play a leading role in helping to secure its future for the people of Geelong,” he said.

Member for South Barwon Michael Crutchfield said McAdam Park hosted international, national and state motorcycling events, which help to deliver significant economic benefits to the region.

“As well as a venue for major and community events, McAdam Park also offers new or young motorcycle riders with a safe place to enjoy the sport they love,” Mr Crutchfield said.

“McAdam Park also plays an important role in helping these riders to gain the necessary skills associated with riding recreational motorcycles in a safe and socially responsible way.

”Our Government will now work with all the parties concerned to ensure the long-term sustainability of the facility.

“The campaign to save McAdam Park has involved not only this government, councils, clubs, and the wider community, but also many local businesses who have financially supported this venue through fundraising activities and they should all be congratulated.”

QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Barrabool
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:50:56 pm »
yes thaqts all well and good but dont they need more like 3 mill to save it  :(
MUGEN power

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:17:55 pm »
That's great news. It's the 2nd best track in oz behind Conondale! :)

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:56:04 am »
yes thaqts all well and good but dont they need more like 3 mill to save it  :(

City of Greater Geelong put in $600,000 and MA has tipped in the rest of the money and I understand will be the actual new owner of the land not SMCC
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

All Things 414

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:08:55 am »

City of Greater Geelong put in $600,000

A friend told me that Barrabool doesn't actually fall under the City of Geelongs area so if they did kick that money in then they should be given an even bigger pat on the back. :) Go the Cats!  ;)

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:30:50 am »
Yeah Barrabol is Surf Coast Shire, I was surprised they kicked in the money as well, but I think they are happy to pay, not to have the track and on going headaches in their shire

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:44:14 am »
Yeah Barrabol is Surf Coast Shire, I was surprised they kicked in the money as well, but I think they are happy to pay, not to have the track and on going headaches in their shire

I have never been to Barabool.  What are the on-going headaches???  ??? ???

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 11:01:01 am »
I didn't mean to single out Barabool, just MX tracks in general are a head ache for any council as they attract a lot of complaints...dust, noise, rubbish etc. The constituants of any council are generally about 0.01% MX riders and about 90% whingers.

Barrabol's biggest drama like a lot of tracks in farming areas is tear-offs getting blown into the local cockies paddock... the sooner MA ban tear-offs all together the better!

garyv5758

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:57:57 pm »
From the Geelong Scandaliser yesterday.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/09/09/102031_news.html

This is good news but has anyone got anymore detail ?
The Geelong Club made a statement but I've always understood
that Sporting MCC ran Barabool and there is no mention in this report.
Who gets to run the venue MA ?
We've received a donkey load of funding in the Surf Coast Shire
due to it being a marginal state seat but I can't believe this
is a great vote getter for Mr Crutchfield. It would seem he has gone
out on a limb.
Anybody know more ?
Whatever it's great.