Author Topic: Greeves footrests  (Read 6321 times)

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Greeves footrests
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:36 am »
Can some-one please help.  I need to fit folding footrests to my MX1 Challenger so that I can race it.  What is generally used ?  Any tips ?   ???

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Greeves footrests
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:54:41 pm »
Can some-one please help.  I need to fit folding footrests to my MX1 Challenger so that I can race it.  What is generally used ?  Any tips ?   ???

Try contacting the president of VMXWA he is the resident Greeves 'nut' over here, should be able to help

http://vmxwa.com/Contacts/Club-Officials/

Barry
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

albrid-3

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:57:17 pm »
Hello, Contact me and l can help with phone and contacts cheers david

clutchslip

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:25:13 pm »

Hi Pirie,

Great to hear of someone getting an MX1 race-prepped when there's all this talk on the forum of those pesky CZs being 'the holy grail'! If you haven't got one already get on to Frank Conley (his name's all over the web) and order a copy of the MX1/2/3 parts list. Folding pegs were listed as an option on the MX3 (same frame) and my guess is that Frank will have the parts you need on the shelf. My recommendation though would NOT be to go down this route, especially for a serious race bike. By modern standards the pegs are way to narrow. Buy yourself a set of modern universal wide pegs and get a local fabricator to weld some mounts to your footrest hangers. Cheaper and far more effective solution. If you don't want to irreversibly damage your original hangers then get your man to make something up, it's not exactly a complicated setup, and it all just bolts to the main frame.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 06:44:06 pm »
Thanx guys.  Jees, you should see the weld job on the existing solid pegs... in fact I might just post a photo next week :P

Allbrit

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 08:01:31 am »
Hopefully your Challenger will turn out like this one we recently finished.

clutchslip

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 08:08:22 am »
Hey Allbrit, congratulations on a very sweet looking job! Any more details on the restoration or plans for the bike?

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 05:28:03 pm »
great work
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Allbrit

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 08:06:53 am »
Restoration took about 12 months with parts coming from the Uk, USA and locally.
It will be used in competition.
Here is the "before" photo.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:19:27 pm by Allbrit »

firko

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 04:55:47 pm »
Here's Frank Stanboroughs newest project. It's a Greeves Challenger fitted with a mega modified NSU Sportmax engine. The engine has been converted from a rocker operated single overhead cam to a chain driven twin overhead cam. Frank has a similar engine in his road racer and it's got some serious mumbo! Jonesy or another Kevlar will race it in pre 65 next year. Anyone who's seen his Manx Norton powered Metisse will be very aware of Franks amazing workmanship and eye for detail. Not bad for an old fella aged 74.

Allbrit

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 08:27:33 am »
Fitting the NSU motor to the Greeves frame was a popular choice. Attached are photos of two Greeves fitted with NSU motors. I took these photos at the Greeves Rally at Battlesbridge UK in late July this year.The man in the photo is Ian Stonebridge, son of the famous Greeves rider.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:29:06 am by Allbrit »

firko

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 10:44:26 am »
Great stuff Dave...Frank is actually building a replica of the very bike Brian Stonebridge used in the 1959 GP season, his last full season before getting killed in a car accident. I'd presume the bike Ian Stonebridge is with is his dads race bike or a close replica of it so the photo will excite Frank I'm sure. Do you have any more shots of it or the other NSU/Greeves (169)? Franks a genius on NSU engines and has long wanted to build a motocrosser using the twin cam conversion he uses in his road racers. Below is another of Franks projects, a replica Sportmax GP bike complete with hand beaten alloy tank and fairing. Frank formed all of the alloy without an English Wheel using only hammers and dollys being the clever old bugger he is ;D

Allbrit

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:56:01 am »
The two bikes pictured are bikes built by Brian Stonebridge.I will check if I have any other photos.

There was at least one Greeves NSU raced in Australia.

Older NSW riders will recognise the venue.

firko

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:49:25 pm »
Thanks David, Franks stoked with the photos of the Stonebridge bike! The above photo is taken at Moorbank in the early 60's. If you find any more, please post 'em up. ;)

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 06:01:48 pm »