Author Topic: The Novelty Race  (Read 1590 times)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
The Novelty Race
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:58:07 am »
just been thinking a bit about this whole VMX thing and was curious as to whether any clubs out there run a novelty race or have done and what are your thoughts.
i've spectated a few but never been involved personally.
me thinks it's a cool idea :)
sort of like a 4 rider team, 125,250, open & and an over 50's/60's rider to make up a relay team using a raw egg as the baton  :D or similar.
what have you seen or done that you've liked?
"flat bickie"

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: The Novelty Race
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:41:07 pm »
Only having a small field of riders up here and that we race as one clas at modern Natural Terrain events we have done a few handicap races. Pretty exciting to see 3 or 4 vintage bikes cross the line together. Have generally sprung it on the riders as the last race of the day after taking into account previous race win margins, so no-one dummies it. Also provides the quickies with something to chase and the inability to just set their own pace/cruise. On the occassions we've done it it has been gone down well. Also allowed for that old style start by flag, which fits in well with us being "different."

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:50:42 pm »
BMCC has had novelty races for the last yr or so. You get a big old road bike of the era, weld as sidecar on it and let the mad bastards go.
In other states they call it VMX sidecars-seems to be catching on up here.

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 04:42:05 pm »
I agree with handicap races.  They were always the most popular of the programme in the old days.  It gives the not so fast riders something to aim for, and we always had a small trophy for this event. 
Not everyone can run in the first 3 in a scratch race, most don't have a chance of taking home an award, yet without these most important competitors, what sort of a field would we have?
There are a lot more classes to get through these days, but fitting in one more race is always possible.  It's great to watch the front marker going for the finish, with a backmarker bearing down on him at a rate of knots.
No one worries if the handicapping is perfect.  It's fun to cheer on the real tryers of the field, and hope they hold on.
I'd like to see this type of race reintroduced.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:00:19 pm »
Vandy we run some over here sometimes and they are fun.
Relay races; handicap races
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

magoo

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 05:52:57 pm »
The last couple of Conondale Classics have featured the teams events where teams are of 4 riders.One rider does the start, does a lap, jumps off his / her bike and tags the next team member to do his lap and so forth. To me, it's the highlight of the weekend. What makes it even funnier is the sight of blokes pulling in at a rate of knots and just throwing their bikes on the ground just to get a quick tag, Metisses, 490 Maicos, 250 RZs are all treated the same. It's a great idea.

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 06:12:52 pm »
In the late 60s & early 70s in Queensland we used to ride for the Kerrilee Trophy, a club teams race run yearly, between teams over the years from Cairns, Townsville, Whitsunday, Mackay, Eimeo(10k north of Mackay), and Don Newells Brisbane team. 
Over the years, Mackay and Eimeo combined, and honours were shared between that team and the Brisbane team, Mackay 1 up overall.
Riders from the Mackay region who regularly competed were Pete Goodson, Dave Symonds, Stan Veenstra, and myself.
Don always brought up a strong team, but I'm afraid I can't remember their names, too much rough red over the years having destroyed my memory.  Next time I see Don, I'll ask him. 
The trophy still exists, I left it with the original doner when I migrated to Brisbane early this year.
Mike

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 07:21:52 pm »
Sidecar's and the all in race at the end of the day are handicapped, here in the west. 8)

QUOTE:It's great to watch the front marker going for the finish, with a backmarker bearing down on him at a rate of knots.....ME TOO what a great end to the day :o   ;D    8)   and the front marker's bloody great grin  ;D
Best is in the West !!