Author Topic: how lucky am i ??  (Read 1270 times)

lms6201

how lucky am i ??
« on: August 23, 2009, 08:29:33 am »
just yesterday i,m blasting ,round the forestry on the 490 L after fitting the new 42 mm mic. ( i have conditional rego on it )  after about 20km it fails about 3 k from the car ,  teardown reveals a bigend failure , rollers all around one side, rod elongated, crank pin moving in crank half ,  this is the lucky bit ,  it stayed intact , no rollers through the top end , or jammed under the crank halves , no rod through the case , just ground up big end cage through the mains , that,s it , and i scored a good crank a few months ago ! ,   makes up for going to lowmead reloaded , and a trailer spring goes sideways and through a tyre , and shortly after that getting rear ended by a tandem tipper and dog , knocking bikes over , bending trailer ect   

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Re: how lucky am i ??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:55:52 am »
Sounds like you should have stayed in bed yesterday mate  ::)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:18:18 am »
 :o  glad that day is all over for you  :o 
have a good one today  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:48:13 pm »
You're lucky!

I had a YZ125E big end let go during a race - it sprayed half the rollers through the engine. It killed the piston and mildly damaged the head, but didn't even put a mark on anything else - I figured that it was the luckiest BE failure ever, but I was obviously wrong. :)

A work mate has a KTM300 piston on his toolbox - its a huge mess, with mangled BE rollers jammed into all sorts of weird and disturbing parts of the piston.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 07:20:31 pm »
Hey Nathan, your coment worries me as i have a 125E and a KTM300, and they arte the bikes i flog most of all. By the way i must get your address so i can send you the air jet that suits that VM carby, As i have finally worked out it does require a jet ie a 2.0mm
Cheers
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:11:04 pm »
Don't let it worry you - I fitted the YZ with a particularly sus, used crank. It lasted a full day of practice, but let go on race day.

The KTM300 is a really early one (85 - I think that makes it the first year of them), with an appaulling reliability record - which I suspect relates to the owner's Mikuni conversion. He replaced it with an '01 380 and couldn't be happier - and despite his stubbon insistance that its not getting worn out (it clearly is), it keeps running.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.