Author Topic: My Bike Ran Like Pus at the Nationals  (Read 8571 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: My Bike Ran Like Pus at the Nationals
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 02:30:38 pm »
 ;D   my mrs dont know shes the proud owner of a 501 yet either (woops) must off forgot that too
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:25:29 pm by PAUL »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 03:36:08 pm »
saved me a few times :P

oldfart

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 03:38:12 pm »
TM Bill had a Shit day Friday , just about every bike he rode needed major work done to it
 changing rear back wheels was a classic  ;D

Bill chime on in

firko

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 03:51:10 pm »
At least you blokes got your bikes to Conondale, even if they were a bit off song. Daryl Lewis had been entered on my Cheney Yamaha 360 but a few family health dramas and my bad habit of getting sidetracked onto other projects saw the bike not quite finished on race day. It's a pity as Daryl was riding his usual faaast and the bike's light and should be pretty fast. It would have been cool to give those B44s and Sidepipers a serve but there's always next year.....

Let's hope I'm a bit better organised for Broadford. Daryl will be offered the ride again and I like the idea of D. Burt on the Boyd and Stellings TM400 in pre 75 open. My people will have a meeting with his people and we'll see what comes out the other end. ;)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 04:01:48 pm »
Ji - coz I work overseas I had to crate my bike many months before the Nats - I was stoked when it started 2nd kick after coming out of "storage".  Unfortunately it all went downhill from there.  Pulled the bike off the stand to go out in practice/qualifying and broke the front brake cable at the hub (????) - through much generosity and searching just after lunch we had it fixed (missed qualifying of course so then into the consolation event).  Lent it to Geoff Ballard as his bike had seized - we found it running very lean so upped the main jet 2 sizes and parked it up ready for Saturday morning.  Exposed the svelte muscular bod to the elements nice and early Saturday morning ready for a ride - went to start the usually reliable old girl (careful there!) and bugger me no spark in anyway shape or form - only got a ride again courteous of some very generous fellow VMXers!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 04:04:05 pm »
My pre 75 open class bike was (what I thought) running a bit lean during practice on Friday ...so went up one main jet ...bike ran sooo rich that hardly could get off the bottom before it was blubbering....went back to the original settings and bike was good (ish)...in a three lap race the bike was very crisp and sharp for two laps and then progressively got richer and richer...till more blubbering by the time I got to the finish line... Last age group race (when the chopper came) couldn't get it started...push...push...finally going ...but massively loaded up...so no race..
My pre 75 250 ran really well all weekend..until the final couple of corners in the last all ages 250 race when the base gasket spat out and the bike was running at about 10k all by itself...made it across the finish line and then had to jamb on the ancors to make it stop...now have to fix all that before next weekend... :) ???

Ji Gantor

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 05:23:02 pm »
Well Paul I am sure your wife has other things on her mind at the moment.
Better break it to her when the bike gets here, or when it is finished or may be when you have sold it.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 05:24:54 pm »
Yes the engine saw no foreign objects thanks to the rag.
It also did not see much air.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 05:26:13 pm »
TM Bill may have had a bad time with his bikes but you never see him without a smile on his face.

Ji

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 05:27:03 pm »
My bikes ran great, infact my 250 Husky ran so well it gained another gear, Pitty it was Reverse ??? and apart from the nut that holds the clutch basket on the 125 coming of twice and the rear brake self distructing , the bikes went fine.
Couple of CR`s

Ji Gantor

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 05:28:45 pm »
What a shame Mark your Cheney did not make it. I did want to meet both Daryl and Brad because I have spoken to both about KTM's. Very helpfull chaps.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 05:30:34 pm »
Hi Yammiefan,
Mrs Gantor watched you cross the line when your bike red lined.
She was a bit concerned about the riders safety.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 05:35:54 pm »
Hi Rossco,
At least you made the effort.
There should be a prize for the most effort made to attend a National.

When my Yamaha lost some parts all the Yami guys opened up their parts boxes to try and find what I needed. To all that attended the Nationals it is you people that made it a great experience. Your generosity to people you have never meet before overwhelmed me, Thanks.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 05:37:45 pm »
Hey Snowy how do you get reverse?
I was going so slow I thought I was going backwards.

Ji

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 05:45:51 pm »
The biggest issue i heard all weekend was bikes running lean. The side piper started rattling on the third lap of the second race. I raised the needle and went a size bigger on the main. After the third race it was still carrying on and it seems i should have gone up on the pilot. My green stripe 250 that TM Bill rode spat a base gasket. One was sourced and he was off again. All the others were good.