Author Topic: My Bike Ran Like Pus at the Nationals  (Read 8569 times)

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: My Bike Ran Like Pus at the Nationals
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 05:55:14 pm »
Hi Ji, sory to be a smart arse but my CZ 380 on the pace from lap one, and the bike was spot on, adjusted the chain once and lube it a few times did not get the tool box out.   HL

Ji Gantor

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 06:10:41 pm »
Bike three.
Around Christmas time I purchased yet another bike off Mr Fast 090.
It was a Yamaha YZ125 H 1981.
This bike was different from the rest as it could actually be started.
I don't know why I bought this bike as I never wanted a water cooled engine but I guess you have to buy them when they are for sale.
Any way I got it home, put it in the shed and there it sat until Plan B was implemented on the Saturday before the Nationals.
First we changed the gear box oil, then the spark plug, checked the coolant, fitted new tyres front and rear, tightened the chain, cleaned the air filter and tightened every visual nut and bolt. I then decided to check the front spokes. There were a few that were loose so I started tightening them until PING I broke one. I then sprayed the rest with CRC and loosened them all off before starting to tighten again. Even with this procedure I snapped another 3. So off came the front wheel and then the tyre. I then salvaged 4 from a spare wheel I also purchased off Mr Fast. After 2 hours the front wheel was back on, I then started on the rear wheel spokes. They were pretty good so that did not take long. I changed the handlebars and hand controls and repositioned the controls for down hill riding.

I then rebuild the carb with new parts I purchased from Mikuni SA and a needle Darcy donated (Thanks Mate) filled the tank with new fuel, third kick she fired.

On Friday I finally got to ride this great little bike. It had problems getting off the line and going up the hills but once it got straight it was a rocket. I found I had to do all my braking before the corners and let her flow with a small amount of throttle through the corners. If I got stuffed before the up hills I had to get off and push.

On the line of the first race I loaded the throttle in first gear and dumped it only to bogg. I did catch a few others before the second hill climb which was great only to have them stuff me in the corners before the hill climbs next lap.

On Saturday I tried changing out the carb jets moving the circlip up the needle and this did help. The engine was very crisp, but out on the track was just the same.

I put 3 litres of fuel in the tank on Saturday before my carb testing. Just before the race Mrs Gantor said "Well your race is up next youd better put some fuel in the bike" I replied "No need I put 3 litres in her this morning"
I bogged on the start again of the second race but moved up two places by Drunks Hill jump. As I turned around by the big tree the bike spluttered and stopped. I looked at the fuel line to see it was empty. I thought to myself "Your joking I did not turn on the fuel tap" but that was not the problem, I was out of gas.
I pushed her home and Mrs Gantor asked "What happened" "I ran out of fuel" I said.
"So" said Mrs Gantor "You DNFed" "Did not Fueled"

"Oh ha ha" I said

The third race on Sunday was great fun, this was the best race I had. Sure I was still no where but I really enjoyed this great little bike on this classic track.

When I got home I looked at the rear cog and noticed it had only 42 teeth and the front 14.
Standard these bikes run 12 48.
So essentially when the bike was in first it was actually in third.

Three bikes three human errors.
It is getting worse.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 06:16:57 pm »
Hi HL400,
This is not a topic for you.
Please leave as you can only blame yourself for not coming anywhere.
After all you have no self pitty to drown in.
You also have no amusing stories of how stupid you were.

Ji
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:20:15 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 06:25:10 pm »
Come on Mr Fast you must have had some trouble that you over came.
Throttle spring to stiff or chain stretched.

Ji

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 06:52:56 pm »
OK the fork seals started to leak again, but it did not cause me to slow down I just adjusted my head to the theory of just go faster and you will skip over the bumps , and it worked out ok as the races went to 2 laps.  HL

Ji Gantor

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 06:54:44 pm »
That still does not cut it.
Please take your "My bike ran great" stories elsewhere.

Ji

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 06:59:36 pm »
Ha Ha Ha. this week its Shepperton I will will do another post next week if I have a mishap.   HL

Ji Gantor

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 07:02:17 pm »
Yeah, well don't come back until you have a hard luck story.
You know like the story of Ricky Bobby where his car expires and he ends up having to run over the finish line.

After all these replies are eating into my Ebay time. Where do you find those Simons forks?

Ji
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:12:30 pm by Ji Gantor »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:22:59 pm by PAUL »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »
Now Paul that was a  metaphorical question.
As I do really  appreciate your help and expertise in finding items on VMX rarity ( please pm such info, I don't want everybody bidding) I don't want this topic to become 6 pages of dribble.

This is a topic for non shaven men, slumped over a log, sitting around a camp fire with a rum bottle resting near, while playing a harmonica or singing dirges at night as the wind blows through the gums in the hollow of Conondale. The sort of things that Banjo Paterson may have written about if he was still alive. "And their ghost may be heard......
This is a topic about "Our" ghosts being heard.
Ji   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:44:32 pm by Ji Gantor »

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 08:00:08 pm »
Well wasnt happy with my results but its the first time the kawasaki 400 twin has finished all her races with no problems,   well except for one, jumping back over drunks hill on the far side the landing made the chain come off, still all was not lost rerailed it 2 kicks and managed to take the checkered flag in last place.
But suppose thats what you get for jumping a 130kg road bike over a hill :o
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

Ji Gantor

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 08:03:02 pm »
Welcome brother

Ji

oldfart

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 08:23:23 pm »
Ji are you home alone tonight  :)     

Ji Gantor

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 10:07:29 pm »
Nope,
The Gantor family just finished watching Total Recall.
What a great film.
Sharon Stone at her sexy best.
No beaver in it though.
All that film needed was a few Maico's or CZ's jumping over the craters on Mars.

Stop it, no dribble Stewart this is a serious topic.
I don't want to upset Mr Fast again. I have to keep reminding myself about the MaicoJerseyGate. 

Ji
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:24:19 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 10:49:46 pm »
Come on guys there was 450 bikes at that shindig, there must be more hard luck stories than this.
I still have to write about bike 4 but I was saving that until others had exercised their demons. Give me a break my fingers are starting to hurt.

Ji