Author Topic: Are you serious?  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Are you serious?
« on: August 19, 2009, 06:12:55 pm »
I wonder what people are thinking when they advertise their bikes for double (or more) than the next-most-expensive example.

Eg:
$10k VOR

Locally, there was a bloke advertising a scabby PE250 for $2500 and a 95 CR125 for $5500.

Optimism? Drugs? Something else?

Anyone else got examples?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Curly3

Re: Are you serious?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 06:52:13 pm »
Tell im eez dreemin.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:13:58 pm »
wouldnt worry some people are just dreaming but you never know pe250 guy could have been told it was worth that and same with cr 125 doesnt really matter they are just paying for advertising which probably wont end in a sale they will soon drop the price if they are a serious seller thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline roostinu

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:44:52 pm »
i wonder if it came with a new power band  ;D haha sounds like bargain ::)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:37:50 pm »
I've seen all sorts of things for sale up here where some "expert" in the pub, who knew a bloke who's brother in law had one, told the owner that it's worth big dollars now days.

The older I get, the faster I was

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:40:55 pm »
same with the 2 bultacos i was chasing down nathans way took a while but the same these are worth big dollars.they have been sitting in shed since 1980 un touched,they are still there to this day.

Quicksilver

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »
Thats just how it is today. Everyone's got a big mouth mate who is more then happy to quote big numbers for basic junk but dare not offer to buy it himself.  ::)
Internet is the main reason people ask big dollars. It only take one big price once, that sets the mark. Most people sitting old bike think their unrestored, weathered and worn out pile of shit is worth 3/4 or more the value of mint restore example.  ;)

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 06:50:06 pm »
Don't believe it is a function of EbAY ALONE. We are see some ridiculous prices been asked for scrap here in South Africa. There are a handful of real collectors and we have agreed not to compete against each other and thus prevent chasing up prices. I am often quoted prices and told that the bike in question is eagerly been sort by a guy, in more than one instance the guy in question was in fact myself and I had shown no interest nor bid for the bike. similarly these bikes never fetch the asking prices.
Crabman
Old and slow - and happy

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 09:33:28 pm »
This is why I hate selling stuff because if you don't do much of it you risk the chance of ripping your self or someone else off. Money is not a level playing field because some people have more than others  :o jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 10:02:02 pm »
With E-Bay I'm not sure of the hows and why's.... But for example. You see a bike sell at auction for say 5K, when it was realistically worth 3K. Not long after you see a few more turn up with the starting price equal to the last sale price of 5K or more. People see the $ and go crazy thinking what they can score.
A classic case in point is what has happened with 83/84 KX500's on E-Bay recently. My concern is wether all this is legit, as the case with the KX's is that they keep re-appearing, each time slightly more inflated.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »
$12000!!

It doesn't even come with a tweed hat ;D
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 08:37:01 pm »
Hey, I'm a Volvo driver.  Looks like good value to me.  8)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 09:15:50 pm »
Hey, I'm a Volvo driver.  Looks like good value to me.  8)

Mate. Maaaatte. Maaaaaytttte!

Have I got a deal for you!  :D
I've got a waaay above average 79 244 that's probably as good as the $12k one. Even at $500ono, I still own it...

Offline monte34

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 09:31:40 pm »
Nathan, you are one sik pup ;D