Author Topic: Titanium Beeza  (Read 1338 times)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Titanium Beeza
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:24:44 pm »
A good read, Firko, and a project that could have been an eye-opener if thought through by anyone except the management of a British motorcycle company. I've been fortunate enough to talk the tale of the Titanium Beeza through at considerable length with Jeff Smith, and the help of a few scotch-and-coke cans, and he still feels that it may well have been ok if they hadn't shagged around before going ahead. As indicated in the article, the build time was scheduled for three months, but delays in ordering, and the problems with manufacture and assembly of this largely-untried medium, quickly absorbed all this time and more. Yes, it was unreliable, but Smithy pointed out that it was never a repeat problem that sidelined the bike, and there were problems with bike prep as well, with niggling things like the timing slipping due to sloppy spannerwork. In the long term, it'll be viewed as something of a white elephant, but there was still a thrill associated with the quixotic nature of this championship defence, in the last dying embers of the British motorcycle industry's long-held and futile wish for a world-beater.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:14:45 am »
If I may mention here that most problems associated with Poms failing at World champs racing came down to poor prep, even as late as the 80" when I was there.

Curly3

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:09:38 pm »
A great read Firko, it actually explained where my father got the " Squished " technique from. He loved his Beeza's and the Jawa that I rode on Speedway actually had a flat top piston & twin spark. It's great to find out where certain tuning techniques originated.
Now all I have to do is get my Jawa parts back from Carl as there is a squished cylinder head and couple of pistons amongst them.